The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
mehoff400

paint interior

alright guys, this winters project keeps growing. first it started with just wanting to rewire the truck. well if i have all the interior out that sounds like a great time to paint the interior, new glass and so on and so on.

i was just going to use some rattle can and figured i could make it look good enough. but the more i think about it the more i am asking myself do i want to do all this work just to rattle can it? so that gets me to the question of the day.

how hard is it to use a paint gun and mix paint properly? Can i buy paint already mixed and i just need to spray it on? I have never done anything with a paint gun or with mixing paint. i dont have a clue where to start.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

My truck
mehoff400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #2
bsarts

Re: paint interior

I would start off with one of these...

https://haynes.com/en-us/automotive-...aynes-techbook
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #3
AcampoDave

Hers is what I found when I did mine with a cheap gun, a basic respirator and a quart of Rustoleum. The inside of a cab requires a lot of maneuvering with the gun in order to lay it smoothly. Going from the roof, down the a pillars, dash around the doors etc. Just imagine tipping a cheap gun sideways backward, etc and hope it doesn't leak all over. I did pull it off and it came out okay but I could have done it easier and equally or better with Rustoleum spray cans. Of course if you're looking for the best finish possible then you'll be using auto paint and a costly gun, a top notch respirator, quality primer etc. Mine is not that kind of truck.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:09 AM   #4
oem4me

I have a similar problem in that I have a large lawn to mow, but I have never learned how to use a lawnmower. Now, I could get on my knees and cut the grass with kitchen scissors, with which I am familiar, but it would take a long time and may not look that even. Or, I could learn something new and try the lawnmower idea. Which would you recommend?

...The time to learn is upon you.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
kens65fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehoff400 View Post
alright guys, this winters project keeps growing. first it started with just wanting to rewire the truck. well if i have all the interior out that sounds like a great time to paint the interior, new glass and so on and so on.

i was just going to use some rattle can and figured i could make it look good enough. but the more i think about it the more i am asking myself do i want to do all this work just to rattle can it? so that gets me to the question of the day.

how hard is it to use a paint gun and mix paint properly? Can i buy paint already mixed and i just need to spray it on? I have never done anything with a paint gun or with mixing paint. i dont have a clue where to start.

Thanks.
"Can i buy paint already mixed and i just need to spray it on? I have never done anything with a paint gun or with mixing paint. i dont have a clue where to start."

Don"t spend a lot of money on equipment to spray your interior.
Your 1st try will come out costing you much more, and 1st time results will not be good
kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
jrusher

I was in the same situation as you pretty much last year with my 65. The more I tore into the cab etc the more the work snow balled. But I’m a firm believer in doing things right the first time no matter what I do. I had done some small floor patches on my Chevelle prior to tearing into these trucks but never really did any major metal work or painting at all . Take your time research, you tube is a great resource I watched Gibson on you tube and learned a lot from that man. Learn as you go and you don’t need a fancy gun . I borrowed an old snap on gun from my buddy to shoot my 65 interior. This year I bought a relatively cheap iwata az3 gun to paint my wife’s 61 interior with and man it sprays so nice and seems hard to mess anything up using it . Here a couple pics of my 65 and her 61 that I almost have back on the road 😃
Attached Images

jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The money spent on tools and time spent learning a new skill is seldom wasted if spent wisely. These days there are countless videos on youtube that will show you how to do most anything.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
nsb29

You don’t have to spend $1 million on paint guns. I have an Iwata I spent good money for, I also have a harbor freight gun I bought that came with a touch up gun that wasn’t as much money as the tax on the Iwata. I have used a harbor freight guns four finished paint and you could not tell that I didn’t spray it with the Iwata, of course I’m not going to try to paint the hood with a touch up gun but then I am not going to paint the inside of my cab with a gun made four large panels. For me guns are like corporators you have to have the right amount of air and fuel or in this case paint, if your paint wants to run your you’re too rich if it’s dry and orange peel your too lean. and now you have air pressure that needs to be adjusted According to the type of gun you’re using, Set your air pressure first And then adjust your Trigger pull From there you can make your final adjustments in Fan size pressure and trigger pull. Now set yourself up with something to practice on make adjustments and Watch YouTube videos Google southern urethane How to adjust your paint gun There’s a Lotta good information there

Last edited by nsb29; 10-21-2019 at 09:58 AM.
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusher View Post
I was in the same situation as you pretty much last year with my 65. The more I tore into the cab etc the more the work snow balled. But I’m a firm believer in doing things right the first time no matter what I do. I had done some small floor patches on my Chevelle prior to tearing into these trucks but never really did any major metal work or painting at all . Take your time research, you tube is a great resource I watched Gibson on you tube and learned a lot from that man. Learn as you go and you don’t need a fancy gun . I borrowed an old snap on gun from my buddy to shoot my 65 interior. This year I bought a relatively cheap iwata az3 gun to paint my wife’s 61 interior with and man it sprays so nice and seems hard to mess anything up using it . Here a couple pics of my 65 and her 61 that I almost have back on the road 😃
Looks good