The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

Rochester Carb Problems..

So my engine rings great and the Carburetor is rebuilt. Hasn’t even been a year on the carburetor and today the Rochester started dumping gas from the outside of the throttle body valve. And I thing gas was leaking from the carb base insulator. I looked down the barrel of the carb with a flashlight and I could see a lot of gas in there, so it was getting flooded too. I had the problem before but I ended up getting a rebuilt carb from a known carburetor shop near by.

This is pretty frustrating since I drive my truck a lot and take it to shows and it left me and my wife stranded this morning until I was able to get it going enough to get home.

I was looking into a Webber before in the past but I was told I need to make a linkage set up..
I’ve heard the Carter YF carbs are more reliable but where do I find one?
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Rochester Carb Problems..

Could be the float is heavy (if it is not a brass float) or the needle and seat got dirt in them or stuck. Heavy float is uncommon in the MJs though, since most floats are brass. What kind of fuel filter setup do you have? Any problem you might have with the Rochester could happen with the Carter.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
cj847

I bought my truck with a "carburetor rebuilt by someone who knows what they were doing". Let me tell you, they didn't. I fiddled and fiddled with it then I gave up and order a rebuild kit myself and rebuilt it via U tube (also a risk). Long story short, the thing quit leaking, the accelerator system works, and the truck runs a ton better.

Note that carburetors haven't been around since 1986 or so.So, you need an old gray haired human to even begin to understand them. You can't plug a computer into a carb.

It's getting really hard to find someone who knows carbs and someone who can tune up an engine with a point style ignition.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
bsarts

Sounds like you drive it enough that it wouldn't be a concern, but ethanol fuel will mess your carb up if it sits long enough.

In this case you probably had something stuck in the needle and seat like Steeve said.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:51 PM   #5
sirJim

Great info here.
http://www.capitalcorvetteclub.ca/at...ng%20Paper.pdf

62 burb in the making.
sirJim is offline   Reply With Quote