The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
bigair

How much would a double wall top be vs a single wall top?

How much would a double wall top be vs a single wall top?

I was curious, if one is more valuable then the other?
bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
turp mcspray

Re: How much would a double wall top be vs a single wall top?

Single wall is much more desireable. Seems like you can't give away a double wall. From what I have seen, double walls like to sag and come apart, down the center interior seam. Single walls don't require the interior panels to be removed, to take off the top, and single walls have dome lights.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
71swb4x4

I agree with Turp. I had two double walls once and I tried to give them away but couldn't. I finally took them to the landfill.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Blazerowner

Yeah the single wall is much more desirable. I hate to see people take double walls to the landfill because no one will take them. You would think someone could use a top since there is no replacement. I personally have a 72 with the single wall. I had a 71 in the past and wanted the single wall so I bought one. I believe I paid 700 and it came with the hatch but that was 7 or 8 years ago. Took me months to find one. I wouldn't even consider selling my single wall now but that's me. I think I would expect someone to ask above 1k if its in good condition. If you have a single wall I would say keep it they will go up in value or you could use it if you ever need it for a non single wall Blazer. They are hard to find and people mostly over price them if they know what they are. They only made them the later half of 72.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
bigair

I have double wall on my blazer now. Long story short, time constraints led to buying a second double wall just for hatch, as it would take to long to fix the hatch that is on the truck now(it is cracked right at the top left hinge. )

So I have the extra double wall with a crack in the hinge. I think I will keep it.

I have second truck, that also had a double wall on it, that I was going to use for parts, even though, according to previous owner, it ran great before he started stripping it down for resto. It has almost everything, just scattered in the bed of blazer, still attached, or in the barn.

Reason for the post, I was weighing, should I sell this new top or keep? If I had my choice I would keep everything and eventually restore this truck as well.

Also I know this truck came with factory doublewall, and I think my other(the one currently getting restored) was a single wall and they had to do some rigging or drilling to get the double wall to work on it, 2 yrs ago for another film it was in.
bigair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
skorpioskorpio

I see double walls once in a while in Cali craigs listings anywhere from $500-1000 and they're usually gone in days. Sounds like I should be going and digging them up out of those South Dakota landfills
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
GhostTown

I find this thread to be a bit shocking. When we were shopping for our Blazer, my wife and I were pretty insistent about getting a rig with a double wall top. Seemed to be a no brainer in that it would keep the truck cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

The doubles are lower in quality than the singles? Is that the main reason you all like the singles better?
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
boonedogs72

I think the main advantage to single wall is the ease of removal.
boonedogs72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
69-72

Didn't 72's only come with single walls? That would be another reason they are in demand more since there were alot more Blazers built in 72 then previous years.

I have been looking for a single wall for about 5 years. Was considering about a 500 mile radius, now I have expanded that. So if anyone knows of any in the MN ND or SD let me know.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
turp mcspray

72's could have either.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
GhostTown

My 72 has the original double wall.

At least I think it does.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
boonedogs72

Mine has a double aswell but I did just buy one that's a 72 that has a single wall so it's a crap shoot I guess
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
boonedogs72

Easy way to tell if its single or double wall is the rear bolts that hold it down. If they go down from the top it's a single and if they come up from the bottom it's a double wall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
BOHICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
I find this thread to be a bit shocking. When we were shopping for our Blazer, my wife and I were pretty insistent about getting a rig with a double wall top. Seemed to be a no brainer in that it would keep the truck cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
Same here. I'm building a cross-country driver and something that's better-insulated and keeps more sound out is a lot more important to me than a top I can take off a few minutes quicker. And before someone remarks that they're not insulated, I'll be having someone who's good at fiberglass open the top up to insulate inside the shell.

I wish I could find one of these double walls people are giving away, as every time I go to look for one, people want $400-$750 for a top, not necessarily with the hatch. And, it's still a few hundred miles away.
1987 Land Cruiser
1990 Chevy K3500 454
BOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Mint68

I thought the main advantage to the single wall was it was less likely to become wavy on the top, like most if not all double walls do. I think there is some weight difference, but it wouldn't be enough to keep me from using one.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #16
GuyO

I have looked and looked for single walls. Double walls are always for sale for $150 + - in Seattle area but honestly they should be free for the taking. I am sure the reason a guy is selling them is because they are 1) heavier, 2) sag, 3) more difficult to remove 4) don't have dome lights. That said, the glass is worth more than the top.
GuyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
in deep 72

I passed up on buying 2 '72 Blazers a year ago. Was in a financial bind but knowing what I do now it would have been a great investment. Both were '72. Both pretty rough. One was a driver with the usual rust and the other was more of a parts rig. Now the sad part....they only wanted $2500 for the pair.

The thought of selling my single wall has crossed my mind several times. I never use it except to keep the snow out in the winter. Haven't had it bolted down since buying the truck 3 years ago, but seeing how hard to find they are I think I better hang onto it. Who knows, maybe someday I'll put heat back in and want to drive it in the winter.

Sorry 69-72. Your search was what got me thinking about selling, but for now anyway, your search continues. I still have my eyes open for one for you though.
in deep 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
69-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by in deep 72 View Post
I passed up on buying 2 '72 Blazers a year ago. Was in a financial bind but knowing what I do now it would have been a great investment. Both were '72. Both pretty rough. One was a driver with the usual rust and the other was more of a parts rig. Now the sad part....they only wanted $2500 for the pair.

The thought of selling my single wall has crossed my mind several times. I never use it except to keep the snow out in the winter. Haven't had it bolted down since buying the truck 3 years ago, but seeing how hard to find they are I think I better hang onto it. Who knows, maybe someday I'll put heat back in and want to drive it in the winter.

Sorry 69-72. Your search was what got me thinking about selling, but for now anyway, your search continues. I still have my eyes open for one for you though.
Actually I just came back from Fargo yesterday after picking up a single wall top I found on Craigslist. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me though.
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote