The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #26
davepl

Re: Blazer prices - WTH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
No, your wrong, especially when you refer to it as a high end restoration.
Read my post. It's the second one in the thread. Where I point out that this is not a high end restoration.

Last edited by davepl; 06-13-2017 at 07:33 PM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:55 AM   #27
2006gmcdmax

If you look through the pictures of the $119k Highlander Blazer on this link, the Blazer has no rocker boxes installed! Crazy money for a half assed restoration!

http://www.shiftbespokeautomotive.co...entory/?sold=0
2006gmcdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #28
72chevynut

To be fair, the ad does explain a lot of the things fussed about here on this thread. Like how they came to the asking price, rocker boxes left off for inspection of floor pans/braces. Plus lots and lots of pictures for critiquing. I'm not saying the price is right but when you search craigslist and find almost as many 1972 K5 WTB ads as to for sale ads it makes you wonder. I'm sure the WTB's are hoping to find CST/Highlanders that are just not listed often, and cheap. The old saying is: "You can always come down on your price but you can't go up", it's business as usual. No one is being forced to buy, it's just a price. The ad also shows several other K5 blazers for sale that are a lot less money. Just saying
Old 06-16-2017, 01:26 AM   #29
mike16

Dave. Sorry if I took what you said out of context. Mia culpa.

I run off at the mouth alot. and maybe its wrong to "disparage" this truck. maybe I'm wrong all the way around. Disparage, critique, evaluate, authenticate,scrutinize, semantics aside....

so could somebody educate me.....us.. on what makes this truck a 100k restoration or value.

Lets not go there with the negativity, fair enough, but what makes this truck a 100K truck. lets be.. positive... very very positive.

I am very familiar with NCRS standards

I own a 72 C10, bought from the origonal owners son with all origonal doodads, nick knacks and only about 71K miles on it. Very origonal

I own a 68 K-20 with less than 13 K miles on it Ditto with the doodads and nick knacks and origonality.

My mind is open, point out what makes this truck worth what is being asked.

You never pay too much. You only buy too soon.

And somebody help me understand, I know there were 2 wheel drive blazers, My friend in the army had on at Ft.Carson, it as a two wheel drive, 307 3 speed on the column, it was dark blue and had one of the black fibre glass roofs.

But they made 2 wheel drive highlanders and converted them into four wheel drives, but retained all the vin, spid data of a two wheel drive version.

So its rare because its a Highlander, rarer still because its a 72 and its converted from a two wheel drive to a 4 wheel drive?

Last edited by mike16; 06-16-2017 at 01:48 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #30
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Blazers like any car or truck, are only worth what someone is willing to pay. I have way more in mine than what it is worth. It's a hobby, it's sentimental, so who should really care one way or another. If at an auction, or an on line sale, if someone wants to pay what someone else feels is too much, who should really care? It's they're money, they earned it, they should spend it as they desire.
Thank goodness we live in the USA !
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #31
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Blazers like any car or truck, are only worth what someone is willing to pay. I have way more in mine than what it is worth. It's a hobby, it's sentimental, so who should really care one way or another. If at an auction, or an on line sale, if someone wants to pay what someone else feels is too much, who should really care? It's they're money, they earned it, they should spend it as they desire.
Good points. I like the process of taking an old vehicle and making it mine. I will say the 2wd Blazers (and Jimmy's) seem to draw more than their share of attention, people really like them.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #32
BIG ORANGE

Quote:
Well Put,,,,
Nuff said..lol

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #33
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Agree....but I heard another statement awhile back......"it's only worth the least amount you are willing to take"......
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #34
LuckyScott

A lot of the stuff that drives prices up is what I call the "Barrett Jackson" syndrome. Rich guys that have never been car guys are suddenly interested in classic cars and want to be able to tell their friends how much they paid. They got the cash to spend, and don't really care what it costs.
They go to the auctions, have a couple cocktails with their other rich friends, and start bidding on stuff.
I leaves regular guys like me on the sidelines but it does drive prices way up.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #35
raggedjim

There are still some deals out there. I actually priced my jimmy to a friend about a year and a half ago. I got lucky and he never came up with the $. After that I got re-interested in it and started back to work on it. I'm glad he didn't buy it.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #36
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
Dave. Sorry if I took what you said out of context. Mia culpa.

so could somebody educate me.....us.. on what makes this truck a 100k restoration or value.

No problem... I don't think this is a $115K truck. All I said was that it -could- be, if it were restored to a higher standard, which it isn't. I'm not going to pick on the truck and point out every little issue, but there are a number of things that wouldn't pass muster if it were mine, and mine's not that high end.

Let me enumerate a few things I have on a high end restoration that I expect when prices reach that level:

- New side glass so there are no scratches
- Fully polished stainless so all stainless on truck is mirror-like
- Block-sanded frame and suspension pieces to remove any pitting
- Date coded plug wires
- Reproduction battery (ie: not an Interstate)
- Rear end completely rebuilt (not just checked)
- Lots of NOS trim parts
- Working washer pump and lighter!
- etc

Basically, the stuff you'd see IF the truck were restored to what I called the "Pebble Beach" standard. I've never been to Pebble Beach, but I use it as an imaginary place where cars are restored to like-new (or better).

So, while I don't think this is it, I'm not opposed to the notion that there could be, somewhere, a $115K Blazer. That's all.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyScott View Post
A lot of the stuff that drives prices up is what I call the "Barrett Jackson" syndrome. Rich guys that have never been car guys are suddenly interested in classic cars and want to be able to tell their friends how much they paid. They got the cash to spend, and don't really care what it costs.
They go to the auctions, have a couple cocktails with their other rich friends, and start bidding on stuff.
I leaves regular guys like me on the sidelines but it does drive prices way up.
I think you're (maybe a little) wrong. You might just be thinking of some stereotype of a dufus rich guy who inherited money and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Have you considered the notion of the guy who was born in 1950? He turned 18 right when these trucks were new. They were out of his reach as a new recruit, but when he got back from Vietnam, he had a number of used ones. He's always loved them, but then wife and kids and a mortgage came along.

Now he's older, financially well off, and wants a nice truck. He's not afraid of turning wrenches but doesn't want to undertake a 3000 hour frame-off restoration in his garage. But he wants a NICE truck. So he buys one that's been fully restored by a pro shop, and it runs him $70K and the truck is deluxe.

Why does that make people mad? Just because there's now a market for higher end trucks, it doesn't (a) make all trucks valuable, nor (b) make all trucks unaffordable.

I'm too young to be the guy in the story, but I bet there are many guys out there who want a modern, reliable, decent-handling 67-72 truck without spending years building their own. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned. There's a whole second generation behind them born in the late 60s that grew up with them when their parents owned them, or maybe they had them as old beaters when they were teenagers. Now they want a nice one, but not everyone wants to pay the dues of years of work.

Also my plate frame says "Built not Bought" so you know I'm not that guy!

Last edited by davepl; 06-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #38
a1vintage69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
Blazers are on fire right now

To me it's strange how they always brought Lower prices than Broncos
It seems like they are gaining on them now
And desirable ones blowing them out of the water

There are still some deals out there
But you better hurry up if you want one
Before there aren't
You are right again Eric! Blazers are on fire. Gotta get my extinguisher out on one soon.
a1vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 PM   #39
mike16

what makes me mad is that this is a turd. for that kind of money it Does not represent this hobby or industry. worse, it victimises the uneducated. that hurts all of us. and what is the ethical context of marketing this vehicle in this condition. Hi end truck? it is clearly not that, niether in the quality of its 100k, 70k restoration or the stoopit price that is seriously being presented. This truck in no way represents the hi end of the market. Somebody is clearly hi, and somebody's gonna take it in the end. But Hi end?

Bid with confidence.

if you knew the guy who as going to buy this. what would you tell him regarding this vehicle. If he was your friend? or just a stranger with a passion like all of us.......

what would you tell him. what are your ethics toward a stranger, toward a friend, toward this niche in the hobby.

we wont tear it apart but some body is taking advantage of a fool. Who cares? but it does hurt the hobby.

some may not think so but those of us that have been there know that it does..

so our 119K truck with the 100K resto bill is now 70K

when it gets to about 15k we can start buying those fond BS memories.I'm a disabled Vet, I know lots of vets from the Viet Nam era. fond memories? They were in Viet Nam. Those are thier memories, They were not in the USA dreaming about this and that. The rich kids had dreams the poor ones have nighmares.

No, this truck is for those OCD, pedantic anal types who want to impress there dolly

They serve alcohol at those auctions too and that never goes well with perscription psycotropics. In fact alcohol does not go well with any of the meds some people are on, side effects, interactions, and alcohol.... Its the down side of rich people having medical coverage. Plenty of pills.

the other side of that Bare it and Jack em cattle auctions is that often POS's like this go for big bucks and the shell in the audience bids it up just like a real auction or then buys if from their friend for this stoopit money. then when they get home seller gives the friend those fee's cost's and expenses. and a 7k truck is now worth 119K. The proof is the stoopit buying it on TV. the paperwork generated and all that confetti documentation. The POS is now worth 15 TIMES what its real Value is and that increase in price is now a documented fact. Then come the next buyer, a sucker with OCD, narrassistic episodes.I'm not saying its anybody here because I dont know everybody here. I mentioned Bare it and Jack 'em , but others do it too, but some of the other smaller auction companies dont do it and dont get the coverage that the hi end auction houses get. Ethical is no fun on TV.

I do know there have been law suits and counter law suits. part of an auction contract mandates that you do not divulge information about the terms of the contract and must abide by a advocacy arbitration when disputes arrise. That keeps it all in house and hush hush

Am I am told that sometimes customer behaviour around certain vehicles is monitored analysed carefully in all respects and when they come to bid they are coo'ed with soft happly gurgling noises like a newborn.

Stoopit buys it, takes it to cars and coffee and parks it with the other farm trucks and begins to notice small but glaring defficiencies in its character......

its all over but the crying... as they say.

This has been done to death in the corvette racket for years, since the 80's.

so its nothing new.

Sometimes the auction house is in on it with a wink and a nod as it impress's other OCD types and makes em , the auction house ,look good getting highest dollar for vehicles. some farrari's go for 119K, NCRS big block corvettes or FI's go for that kind of money. But THIS hilander.. maybe it should be called Hi ender

other times its a private scam.

Still..... what makes this one worth 119,100 or 70 K$'s. And why the pictures of the hi end sports cars, and so few pictures of the details that would(?) justify its........119k, 100k or 70k value. and why is the spid different from the vin. was that factory or done to enhance the resale "value". IE did they put a 4x4 drivetrain under this vehicle as part of the hi ender package or was it done afterwards during the "restoration". wonder what the vin on the frame indicates, what about date codes?

I'm not disparging the truck other than to counter the 119K value with one of my own......But look how the vendor treats the customer, what does the vendor think of the person who would seriously pay 119K for this truck . Look carefully at how and what is represented. what kind of person is lured into considering this truck. what kind of honey trap/ bait is used to get this customer. what kind of customer are they marketing this to?

well, at 119K there certainly is a little wiggle room. When you say the market is on fire... I'm thinking arson and insurance fraud.

Last edited by mike16; 06-16-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #40
CHEVY_DUDE

In many ways I'm glad these trucks are finally getting attention, but the downside is that auto recycling yards and swap meets that were once plentiful with parts for the 67-72 trucks are now bone-dry or have ridiculous prices. Parts that were once worth a few dollars are now being sold for hundreds. It is a bit discouraging for the average joe like myself. I have even considered selling my Jimmy a few times because I find it hard to stay motivated.

1962 Chevy II Nova 400 Sport Coupe
1962 Chevy II Nova 400 Station Wagon
1972 GMC Jimmy
CHEVY_DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #41
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Thou shalt not covet. Unless you are a Bernie Sanders voter. Lol
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #42
mike16

still a few show up in the pick a part in south las vegas on boulder avenue about 2 weeks ago. I bought a 3/4 ton hubcap for 5 bucks.

but that aint 119K either.

maybe this thread is dead, I really wanted to know what makes a 119, 100 or a 70k $ restoration.......

or more so, who would buy such a thing