The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
Bearhawg

Torn Frame and Sway Bar

So, I was just about to hit the "submit order" for a new front sway bar and thought I'd check out the mounting location for any surprises. Surprise! I found this tear in the frame just ahead of an existing hole indicated by the arrow. I planned on installing a Hotchis Sport Suspension bar which requires removal of the front cross-member mounting rivet for the rear of the mounting bracket. I think the existing hole in the frame is where the front of the bracket mounts. Does anyone have a Hotchis front sway bar that could look at their setup? I don’t have a way to heat and bent the frame so I'd rather not buy something I can’t use. This is a 70 c10 custom swb.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
clay68c10

Re: Torn Frame and Sway Bar

Hammer it back flat, burn some weld in the split, and keep on truckin.

That is, if there’s no other damage.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
dell72

If I were making that repair I would try heating it up with a small propane torch and get the metal hot and workable. I would then try hammering the torn areas back into shape as close as possible. Once that is done you could heat the area again if necessary and clamp the long area with some C clamps and some pieces of square stock or angle iron to make the lower section of the frame as straight as possible. Throw a weld on the torn area and it should be go. If you can't get the lower rail perfectly straight you could place some shims (AKA flat washers) between the frame rail and the sway bar brackets to make up the space. Good luck with your project!
dell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I don't know about the Hotchkiss stuff, but I have dealt with torn frames in the past by cutting a 2"x4" or 6" to fit in between the upper and lower lips and fitting it in over the torn section. Then using my favorite BFH tap the distorted sections back into position. The wood will keep the undamaged sections from moving. (This is one of the times a lift is nice) The ends won't match up due to the stretching that occurred when it was torn. Once they are close you can grind the end(s) so they will come together. Then when convenient you can get the ends welded together. No heat required to bang them back in shape.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
SASROD

You can probably work it back into shape with a big crescent wrench. Then weld.
SASROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

You could have that repaired for not a lot of money, since you don't have the means.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #7
Bearhawg

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to try the small propane torch and a small bench vice. I think it will fit under the frame rail. Heat it up and tighten the vice. I'll post a pic of the result.
Bearhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

A little heat and a crescent wrench should straighten that right out , When you find something like this on your truck and don't have the tools required to fix it head down to your local muffler shop and spend the couple dollars for them to repair it with the right equipment it's a 5 minute repair.At this point if you do get it straightened out your still going to want to have it welded and cleaned up with a grinder to make it right again .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote