The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #76
robnolimit

Re: No Limit '72 C-10

Ha Ha Happy wednesday. Last night we took the JT out and went racin. Sort of. Here's the run down. On my way to the track I put in about 12 gal of gas. (first mistake) I could smell it all the way to the track, just figured it was the tank-in-cab deal. We made it through tech OK, it's good to be a local, and after the drivers meeting, we do 2 parade laps. I've been there many times, and I didn't want to be the one slowing anybody down, so I told the starter to put me in the back of a slow group. The first big right hand turn, a 180, puts you on the front straight. About 1/3 of the way around, enough fuel spilled out of the tank (past the cap with no gasket) to soak the left rear tire, and I spun out - on the parade lap Yes, I hold the track record in my class. Embarrasing to say the least. Back in the pits, we wrapped a rag around the cap and stuffed it back in. That slowed it down, but it was still an issue. We ran about 15 laps, and had a fast lap of 56.06 sec. Thats going to be our baseline. I did run faster than a toyota spider, and a trans-am. But I have to credit that to the slowness of the other drivers. In comparison, the Bullit runs a 46.10 on a regular basis.
I think the truck wil get down to the 52 sec range pretty easy, after that it's going to take some work. The Idler arm is really loose. springs and shocks are junk. Swaybars (front only at this point) are too small. We also weighed it, 3820 lbs. Now we're ready to get started. Even though it was a handfull, it's still fun to ring 'em out.
Attached Images

robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #77
67cheby
67cheby

cant wait to see how you eat away at that time clock ....we are watching
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #78
SCOTI

Excellent. We have a 'control' point.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #79
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

is that the orange show speedway???
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #80
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by project 67 sub View Post
is that the orange show speedway???
That is Adams Motorsports park. I have run my Chevelle there with Rob, in fact I took out the tire barricade on the back straight in spectaular fashion. My 67 C10 would have that same gas spill issue at Adams, or just on the street.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."

Last edited by 406 Q-ship; 01-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #81
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
That is Adams Motorsports park. I have run my Chevelle there with Rob, in fact I took out the tire barricade on the back straight in spectaular fashion. My 67 C10 would have that same gas spill issue at Adams, or just on the street.
Rob teach you that move??
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-12-2011 at 09:04 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #82
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Rob teach you that move??
He claimed to have done it plenty of times before me. My car still has the tire bruise as evidence though ( I can not find his on the F100).......

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
Old 01-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #83
robnolimit

I'll gladly show 'em to ya. You going to RTTC?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #84
flashed

Whats next ?
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #85
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

Whoa, are you doing autocross or giving the speedway a lawn job? I would have never taken you for the juvenile delinquent type. What's next? Ding-dong-ditch!

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!

Last edited by basemodel67; 01-14-2011 at 12:08 AM.
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #86
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by basemodel67 View Post
Whoa, are you doing autocross or giving the speedway a lawn job? I would have never taken you for the juvenile delinquent type. What's next? Ding-dong-ditch!
We were going to do the joke with the flaming doo-doo bag but we figured that would just stink up the joint.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #87
67cheby
67cheby

for us that know nothing about auto-cross, is there any specific modifications i have to have on my truck to be able to do this ??
Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #88
robnolimit

AutoCross and/or Time-Attack, are simple, very short road course racing. Most autocross events are set up in parking lots, with cones marking the course. While most time attack events are at small race tracks. The two we go to most are at outdoor go-kart tracks, between 1/2 mile to 1 mile. Most autocross laps take less than a minute. These are pretty safe, in autocross, it's only one car at a time on the track, most time attacks will space out 3 or 4 cars in a way that they never really get close to each other. It's a lot of fun, it's safe, and it's cheap. Most Goodguys events now have autocross. Tech is pretty basic. Seatbelts, all lugnuts, no hubcaps, battery hold down, and an overflow tank. (old beer can will do) Most autocross events don't require a helmet, but most time attack and track events do. Since it's you vs. the clock, you don't have to be to worried about the other racers. Just do your best and have fun. I urge everyone to try it. Most will go back for more.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #89
67cheby
67cheby

thanks for the info i will be looking forward to doing this this summer !!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #90
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
I'll gladly show 'em to ya. You going to RTTC?
I found the sign up too late for RTTC this year, so I got aced out. Beside I wasn't to sure I would be employed and still in Cali. I am planning on hit Goodguys Costa Mesa for sure and Del Mar maybe. The Chevelle has new sticker shoes with Baer 13" brakes, no rear axle gear leaks like i had at Labor Day Cruise.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #91
67cheby
67cheby

Got my SUPER COOL NO LIMIT t-shirt today and a catalog thanks again
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #92
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
I found the sign up too late for RTTC this year, so I got aced out. Beside I wasn't to sure I would be employed and still in Cali. I am planning on hit Goodguys Costa Mesa for sure and Del Mar maybe. The Chevelle has new sticker shoes with Baer 13" brakes, no rear axle gear leaks like i had at Labor Day Cruise.
Here's the bad news. GoodGuys Costa-Mesa is history. They scrubbed it to add the spring Scottsdale. Hope to see you in Del-Mar
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #93
robnolimit

Today, while searching for the 'clicking' in the front, I found out that the pass. lower ball joint is pretty worn, like - a lot. So, I think I will be doing some work this week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #94
Rob H.

Very interested in this build, the auto cross and time attack racing sounds like it'd be fun too!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #95
robnolimit

Today is the day, or, one of the days. The J.T. is going under the wrench. Today is just the basics. Drop spindles, short springs, 2" rear block, and a 2" rear spring. should be a 3 1/2" front, 4" rear drop overall. I know, it 's not enough, but these were parts on the shelf, and the heated springs ride so bad I have to do something. Also, I'll be installing one of our long panhard rod kits. This will be the set-up for next tuesday night. Ohh, and a new gas cap.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #96
robnolimit

Friday. That feels good. The first step is done, sort of. Check out the picts. Out back, we swapped for some 2" drop springs, and a 2" block. I didn't get to the panhard rod, I might do that this weekend. Up front, 2 1/2" spindles, and a stock spring with one coil cut. We had to put a new pass. lower ball joint in, and two new outer tie rod ends.
1. Ok, it sits lower, but not right, and it drives WAY better.
2. The back is too high, and the front is too low - maybe. Also, the front may be a bit soft for my taste.
3. The front sits crooked. This is a bit of a concern to me. The pass front sits about 1" lower than the drivers side. It has no sway bars, and it looks like the problem is in the spring/arm area. We had the frame 'racked' last week, and the chassis itself is straight. Could be a bad spring. Looks like I have to pull it apart again. The whole "dropmember" concept is really clear to me now, as I smacked the crossmember on some RR tracks last night.
4. A good look under the truck shows that the body is about a 1/2" off to the drivers side, and it is missing the rubber mounts under the core support. ( it has a nifty wood block on one side) So, I think new body bushings are next on the list.
All in all its a step forward, I guess. It leads me to think there is more needed to get the J.T. up to par.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #97
67cheby
67cheby

good looking progress... like the 2fast4u !!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #98
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Progress is progress...Don't know if it's just the angle of the pic, but the one of the lca/crossmember, you can visually see the difference in the distance of the lca's to the ground...they almost look cocked a little too...
Old 01-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #99
mooseknuckles

looks good! ......If it was mine I'd lower the back another 2", just sayin'
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #100
406 Q-ship

Rob your right the front is too low IMHO, I always like the lower control arm inner pivot point to be at the same height as the ball of the lower ball joint. I do that for the best geometry. I know you know this stuff but I am going to ask anyway. The lean in it, could it be the spring is rotated out of the seat or the spring isn't seated in the pocket (I know I know that is suspension 101).

Rob what have you got for a long panhard rod. I was planning on making up my own panhard but if you have one I might throw some cash your way.....