The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
narx66gmc

Papa's truck build up

So, a little background on the truck, Grandpa (Papa) bought the truck with 9000 miles on it in '67 with a 283/3 speeed on the tree from a Chevy dealer in CO (he thinks). For the next 22 years he drove it nearly every day all over the country building skyscrapers. He drank and did alot of drugs and beat the truck to death. he put 3 motors in and 4 transmissions that he remembers. It was a green with green interior ugly ass truck. Which is perfect for a 14 year old boy to learn to drive on. The truck had sat in one spot from '89 until '96, never started or air put in any tires. We changed all the fluids, and did a tune up, the truck fired right off and I learned to really drive on that old truck on a 3 mile loop around my grandparents place.

I drove the truck until i graduated high school and during that time we put bucket seats, cheap chrome wheels and new tires, primered it rattle can gray from Wal-Mart, and a new front windsheild, and pulled as many dents as we could. It looked like it had been shot with a shotgun.... Then the truck sat from '99 til '04 not started or touched. I wish i had pics of the gray primer.

I was making decent money and wanted a project so, here we go again. I had bought a TH350 w stall and shift kit so that went in it. I had bought an edelbrock carb/intake combo so that went in. Truck was driving good but still had 8-10 year old rattle can primier, so we took it to the body shop to have them straighten the bed sides and fill shotgun holes. All i wanted was a maroon primer job til Papa and I could agree on a color. It sat not started til '07.

The body guy tore both shoulders up and basically covered the bed in 1/2" to 1 1/2" bondo to make it look straightish. We gave him a third of what he asked and didn't whoop his ass. I had aquired a HEI distributor so that went in, new fuel tank and sending unit, new starter, new tachometer, new fuel pump and then the truck sat til Sept '09 not started or touched.

My brother and I put in a crossmember from a '84 susburban, power brake booster, CPP 6 lug rotors (so we could keep the cheap chrome wheels), a 700r4, and all new steering bits. We put used S10 springs up front and it dropped it probly 1 -1 1/2". Now the truck is at my house instead of at the shop so I can work on it more than one time per month. I pulled the grill and bumper off and painted the area behind them flat black.

I also painted the GMC and then sanded the raised part of the letter clean.

My goal is to work on it slowly and steadily and drive it daily next spring. I have a wife and 8 month old baby so slow and steady is all i can do. Next up is getting it running and a bench seat.
narx66gmc is offline   Reply With Quote