The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Vintage Gas Grill

FINALLY, got our vintage gas grill back up and running today. Just in time for some 4th of July ribs. Recently rebuilt the back deck using composite decking after the old treated deck was just too far gone. Enlarged the deck a bit so had to remove the grill completely from it's mounting area.

The steel post is sunk in the ground 30'' in concrete and then a inner sleeved post was used to support the mount. Sits just outside the deck railing so no deck space is lost. Fired it off today after a leak check and all is good. Burgers tonight and ribs tomorrow! Sure have missed my grill. Plumbed into the house natural gas, no running out of propane at the wrong moment.

Any one care to guess what brand it is and how old it is? I know the brand and approximate age. How about a bit of a guessing game for the grill masters on the board.

It was mounted to the property when we bought the house in May of '77. Have only seen one other double grill like it in all this time. It was at a stove and grill BBQ store in Wichita years ago. It was mounted on a wrought iron patio cart using a propane tank. Got a bit of a run down on the grill then. VERY hard to find parts for it but after persisting on the 'net was able to get new rock grids, cooking grills and gas valve. The entire grill is cast aluminum, needs some BBQ black but that will come later this fall when not so hot and after I get to grill for awhile!
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Re: Vintage Gas Grill

72/73 charmglow

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
72/73 charmglow
Wow, didn't think would get an answer that quick. You must have some serious previous grilling 'sperience. Don't know if correct about the 72/73 but yes it is a Charmglow. Model-Chef's Choice 67-CC. Made in Antioch, Illonois.

The BBQ shop years ago told us it would be VERY hard to replace, parts, especially the raised aluminum hoods are nearly impossible to find. Never use it on really windy days, don't want to take the chance of the hood blowing off and getting broken.

I do know they were offered by our local gas companies for install on a monthly basis until paid for. Also have a gas yard light by the same company but never hooked it back to the gas. Thinking a future project to hook it to house electrical for front yard with a dusk to dawn sensor.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #4
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Wow, didn't think would get an answer that quick. You must have some serious previous grilling 'sperience. Don't know if correct about the 72/73 but yes it is a Charmglow. Model-Chef's Choice 67-CC. Made in Antioch, Illonois.

The BBQ shop years ago told us it would be VERY hard to replace, parts, especially the raised aluminum hoods are nearly impossible to find. Never use it on really windy days, don't want to take the chance of the hood blowing off and getting broken.

I do know they were offered by our local gas companies for install on a monthly basis until paid for. Also have a gas yard light by the same company but never hooked it back to the gas. Thinking a future project to hook it to house electrical for front yard with a dusk to dawn sensor.
The only reason I knew the answer was because I just removed one. I have rebuilt it several times. The last couple of times with generic parts. I remember it being installed when the pool was being built. My pool was built in 72 or 73. It was a great grill but the parts were a pain and I gave up on it. It now resides in my junk pile on the back side of the property.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
Boog
laying low

Way back in the 60's the Arkla Gas company sold yard lamps and grilles too. On time as you say. Those aluminum gas grilles just last for years and years. Once the burners wear out you can gut it then pickup some stainless wire mesh and turn it into a charcoal grille and the thing just won't wear out. I mounted one on a hand made cart, heavy built, and used it for a lot of years before passing it on to a family member.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
72/73 charmglow
Hank Hill would be proud of you... or extremely jealous

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hank Hill would be proud of you... or extremely jealous
Maybe I should sell propane and propane accessories. ...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #8
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Way back in the 60's the Arkla Gas company sold yard lamps and grilles too. On time as you say. Those aluminum gas grilles just last for years and years. Once the burners wear out you can gut it then pickup some stainless wire mesh and turn it into a charcoal grille and the thing just won't wear out. I mounted one on a hand made cart, heavy built, and used it for a lot of years before passing it on to a family member.
Yeah, I remember back in the 70's, gas grills started getting popular. Never saw a portable model much back then, all were installed fixed just like OP's grill. Even the common working man could afford such a luxury item. The gas companies made them very affordable.

You can buy burner repair kits, even at Wal Mart.

Have never seen the dual setup, though...Cool!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Ironhorse

Yeah, the dual burner grill is very uncommon almost to the point of being rare. The BBQ store manager offered to buy the grill if I was interested in selling. He did not mention a price figure but told him I was not interested in selling at the time. As I mentioned, the store did have a dual burner set mounted on a portable cart using a propane tank and had it priced at $1,000. Thought about their offer and just thought the grill was too cool at the time to sell it. Still glad I didn't. Has worked well for us for over 40 years, can't get that sort of service life out of most Walmart grills today.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 07-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Wow, that's a blast from the past, I remember our local park had twin grilles just like that set up at the end of all the pavillions (cerca mid/late 80s')
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote