The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
68Gold/white

Oil leak, 2003 Suburban 6.0, yes I used the thread search...

I help folks in need, when possible. This single Mom has a 2003 Suburban with 360,000 miles, leaks a little too much oil.

I know some of the common leaks are, oil sending unit, cam sensor, rear main seal, rear main cap. valve covers, oil cooler line junction at block...

I replaced the valve cover gaskets and oil cooler at the block, they all leaked terribly, BUT, BUT, this thing STILL leaks as much as before I performed this work...About every 5 seconds a drop of oil leaks off a starter bolt. I cannot see ANY fresh oil leaking on the top of the engine (behind the intake) that would indicate that the oil sender or cam sensor was leaking, it's difficult to see back there...

Oil also drips off the bell housing, but does NOT drip from the slot in the bell housing (at the very bottom).

I used the advance search here...looked and looked...did not see any one fix on any of the repairs made that was seemingly common.

I'm more or less thinking the engine needs to come out, and do it right, once!!! I did not mention, it's 4 wheel drive...

If you have any advice for me, please post.

Thanks in advance!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Oil leak, 2003 Suburban 6.0, yes I used the thread search...

Hello single Mom....

These engines are renowned for rear main oil seal leaks...
and crankshaft position sensor which is just above the starter...
The CPS is located in the side of the block above the starter...

There is also a GM Service bulletin on porous block conditions on some of these engines...

GM BULLETIN #05-06--01-034L: 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L - Engine Oil Leak at Rear Cover Assembly Area (Engine Block Porosity RTV Repair Procedure) - (July 23, 2010)

DOCUMENT ID: 2506955

Hope this helps...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
68Gold/white

Many Thanks!!!
One thread that I read over and over...the owner pulled the engine, and replaced the rear cover with a "improved design" rear cover. It fixed his problem, but he wasn't specific if that was his only leak or repair made...

I too enjoy hearing fords rusting away, but nothing like hearing one getting swallowed up in the crusher!!!
Old 09-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
MJN

I had a similar leak on my '02 Yukon XL 2500 with 6.0L. Had the oil pan gasket replaced twice and also replaced the oil cooler line gasket and still had a leak, used a quart of oil about every 800 miles. I finally had the local GMC dealer tear into it and they found the rear cover leaking around one of the top bolts. They resealed it and it's been dry ever since.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN View Post
I had a similar leak on my '02 Yukon XL 2500 with 6.0L. Had the oil pan gasket replaced twice and also replaced the oil cooler line gasket and still had a leak, used a quart of oil about every 800 miles. I finally had the local GMC dealer tear into it and they found the rear cover leaking around one of the top bolts. They resealed it and it's been dry ever since.
Thanks, I am hoping rear cover is not part of or my whole problem. I plan to remove crank sensor Saturday, replace the "O" ring on it. As badly as oil drips off a starter bolt I hope it is the source of the leak...

I was in your neck of the woods, in late June. Visited my buddy in Muscatine, took him to the Pontiac Oakland Event in Wisconsin Dells.