The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #6726
Mikes68C10

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 baby blue C10 View Post
Dude you scored. That is a sweet truck. I love the dark green and silver combo, I think it looks perfect together. How many miles are on it? What’s your plans for it?
Thank you! Shows 18,5xx on the odometer and no reason to believe its been rolled more than once. Title, and registration records back it up.

Plans; Getting it back on the road, gas has turned - smells a bit like lacquer thinner - I've got my local mechanic going over all hoses, belt, fluids, filters, check and test brakes, clean the gas tank out. Get everything road ready, and ENJOY!

Then while driving; it'll get a replacement dash pad, original has a crack running down the edge. Seat cover, original is covered by an UGLY Red velour cover - who knows, maybe its in good shape - Now that would be amazing!
Black rubber floor covering/mat has a tear/hole right where your right heel would sit while driving. And I think the drivers side back up lens has a crack in it, so it needs to be replaced.

The wood bed looks factory stock, although the previous owner told be the Original owner did replace one of the boards (hole drilled in by accident). Wood floor is painted a thick black paint, sounds like this too is as they came. First wood bed truck I've ever owned. Very cool!

Likely to stay as original as possible, and retain factory pieces should I ever need to sell it on.
1968 C10 LWB Fleet-Wood, 2-WD, 327, 4-Bbl, Auto, 12-Bolt, Bone Stock. >POOF!< Sold 9/8/2018. New owner is local to Waynesboro PA and will take excellent care of her. He also owns a 69 Z28 SS Option car.
1998 Camaro SS, LS1, A4, 3.42. Free Tune - Stock 13.08 @ 106.55 >Lightening Strikes Again!< Sold 9/9/2018 she too will be well cared for as 1 of 45 produced in blue, with Auto and no T-roof.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #6727
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes68C10 View Post
Thank you! Shows 18,5xx on the odometer and no reason to believe its been rolled more than once. Title, and registration records back it up.

Plans; Getting it back on the road, gas has turned - smells a bit like lacquer thinner - I've got my local mechanic going over all hoses, belt, fluids, filters, check and test brakes, clean the gas tank out. Get everything road ready, and ENJOY!

Then while driving; it'll get a replacement dash pad, original has a crack running down the edge. Seat cover, original is covered by an UGLY Red velour cover - who knows, maybe its in good shape - Now that would be amazing!
Black rubber floor covering/mat has a tear/hole right where your right heel would sit while driving. And I think the drivers side back up lens has a crack in it, so it needs to be replaced.

The wood bed looks factory stock, although the previous owner told be the Original owner did replace one of the boards (hole drilled in by accident). Wood floor is painted a thick black paint, sounds like this too is as they came. First wood bed truck I've ever owned. Very cool!

Likely to stay as original as possible, and retain factory pieces should I ever need to sell it on.
That’s awesome man that’s what I like to hear. I like to see trucks that haven’t been repainted or trim packaged up. That’s awesome that is has a wood bed, especially the original, you don’t see that. And about the dash pad and floor mat. The guy who owned mine previously put a really nice squishy vinyl dash pad in, I think it was from LMC, it doesn’t feel like it would ever crack. And I just got my rubber floor mat from LMC and it’s pretty nice and fit really well once it was worked around. There pictures of it a couple posts back. Keep us posted on what you do to it.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
Old 05-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #6728
Grumpy old man

Picked up my set of factory alt brackets from the chrome shop , A few more chrome goodies and this thing will be ready to drop in the frame
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #6729
Mikes68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 baby blue C10 View Post
That’s awesome man that’s what I like to hear. I like to see trucks that haven’t been repainted or trim packaged up. That’s awesome that is has a wood bed, especially the original, you don’t see that. And about the dash pad and floor mat. The guy who owned mine previously put a really nice squishy vinyl dash pad in, I think it was from LMC, it doesn’t feel like it would ever crack. And I just got my rubber floor mat from LMC and it’s pretty nice and fit really well once it was worked around. There pictures of it a couple posts back. Keep us posted on what you do to it.
Thanks, really appreciate the input - especially on LMC products, just received their catalog... and its getting worn out already
I like the stock look. For cars, like the sleepers...
First chance I get to drive it to the Mason Dixon Drag Strip in Boonsboro, MD I'll make a post, just to show it off as it is, just cleaned up and running again.
The 98 Camaro SS will have to wait for another weekend for a shot at that 12.9 time slip again.
Now I'll have to find a beater truck for actual work/hauling... LOL
Thanks again!
Mike
1968 C10 LWB Fleet-Wood, 2-WD, 327, 4-Bbl, Auto, 12-Bolt, Bone Stock. >POOF!< Sold 9/8/2018. New owner is local to Waynesboro PA and will take excellent care of her. He also owns a 69 Z28 SS Option car.
1998 Camaro SS, LS1, A4, 3.42. Free Tune - Stock 13.08 @ 106.55 >Lightening Strikes Again!< Sold 9/9/2018 she too will be well cared for as 1 of 45 produced in blue, with Auto and no T-roof.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #6730
1968 baby blue C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes68C10 View Post
Thanks, really appreciate the input - especially on LMC products, just received their catalog... and its getting worn out already
I like the stock look. For cars, like the sleepers...
First chance I get to drive it to the Mason Dixon Drag Strip in Boonsboro, MD I'll make a post, just to show it off as it is, just cleaned up and running again.
The 98 Camaro SS will have to wait for another weekend for a shot at that 12.9 time slip again.
Now I'll have to find a beater truck for actual work/hauling... LOL
Thanks again!
Mike
Mine is pretty broken in as well haha. They’re a little expensive and the way they calculate their shipping can be a little annoying, but it’s not like there’s many choices of places to order from. Looking forward to seeing her running man.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
Old 05-08-2018, 01:48 AM   #6731
Stewsclues

My water pump went out the other day so I replaced it and the timing chain since I was half way there. A big thanks to those that answer questions to help out. With some searching the forums I found all the info I needed. My daily driver is better than ever. Also new hoses and thermostat.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #6732
Bearhawg

Replaced the fuel filler neck gasket. Getting the old dryrotted one off was much tougher than placing the new one. One tip I didnt see on the forum, work the gasket in using something thin and blunt between the neck and the gasket rather than between the body and the gasket. Made a HUGE difference for me. Also soak the gasket in warm soapy water.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #6733
Metaldoc

Custom exhaust straightener, if they don't find you handsome you had better be handy. I on the other hand, are both and very smartical to.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #6734
EYates

Attempted to pull my fault fuel gauge but got scared I was going to rip some wires out of the harnesses

Name:  IMG-3397.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  56.3 KB
Old 05-08-2018, 10:10 PM   #6735
Redneck Rydes

Installed the new press-on door rubbers I got from GMC Pauls,fit great,doors a little tight,will probably close a little better over time,also fitted a new rubber mat from them,fits great,should be ready to get on the road very soon.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #6736
1968 baby blue C10

Got my shift knob from The Boneyard Sculpts yesterday. I love it, almost perfect color match. This guy does awesome stuff, you guys should check him out. Hand painted shift knobs and sculptures, and he will do custom orders. Here’s a link to his store, he’s also on Etsy. https://theboneyardsculpts.bigcartel.com
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #6737
SoCoC10

New rims and tires for the 69 CST shorty that's been buried in the corner of my shop. Cleaned up some center caps and installed new Bow Tie stickers.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #6738
ohboy321

I started putting my driveshaft back together. What started as replacing brake lines turned into springs, axle, driveshaft, exhaust.....and brake line projects.

Should be back on the road in a couple of weeks!!
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 PM   #6739
BRL

Talking BRL"s Bondo & Body.

While you guys are are doing frame-off restorations, I'm struggling just to paint inside a rusty bumper and also some taillight housings that have never been done before.

Stock Stepside bumpers stick out a little, and I noticed that driving this thing around in rainy western WA. for 22+ years has left a few places that could use some touch-up help.

The drivers side taillights were such a pain to separate from their mounts that I just left the other side together.

Turned out well enough for me as far as I'm concerned, so I'm calling it good enough.

Tomorrow's mission: rusty Stepside step fronts.

I think the front tires sling road debris back there constantly, especially driving over fresh asphalt and such.

With my skills, that should be a real hoot!

No I'm not removing them either!

(nothing wrong with blue tires)

Old 05-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #6740
stevenfromtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaldoc View Post
very smartical to.
hahahaha
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #6741
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Never turned an engine over before and never seen this view of an engine either. Surprisingly I was able to ID a lot of it. Anyway, getting the engine ready for paint/gaskets.

LET ME ASK, would you install a new oil pump? I've never replaced one (or seen one....ha!), though I imagine it's an easy task. The block has 40K on it and runs like a top. Ol always clear and doesn't burn. Long ago I posed the before. The consensus was don't fix what aint broke etc.....They may not have expected me to get this far. Heck, neither did I Any input appreciated.

The Morosa bag is well worth the money. Nice and thick and easy to handle. Stuffs going to be exposed awhile, because I'm painting the pan, chain cover, block and intake separately, though I may do the block and intake as a unit. Anyway, a nylon strap and some clothes pins and the block is airtight or close enough. I laid a sheet of plastic between what's exposed and the bag as well, can never be too careful
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #6742
special-K
Special Order

I'd put a new oil pump on. A quality pump like a Melling.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-14-2018, 11:38 PM   #6743
cornerstone

Yes on the pump. Cheap insurance.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #6744
Metaldoc

[QUOTE=71CHEVYSHORTBED402;8261233]Never turned an engine over before and never seen this view of an engine either. Surprisingly I was able to ID a lot of it. Anyway, getting the engine ready for paint/gaskets.

LET ME ASK, would you install a new oil pump? I've never replaced one (or seen one....ha!), though I imagine it's an easy task. The block has 40K on it and runs like a top. Ol always clear and doesn't burn. Long ago I posed the before. The consensus was don't fix what aint broke etc.....They may not have expected me to get this far. Heck, neither did I Any input appreciated.

The Morosa bag is well worth the money. Nice and thick and easy to handle. Stuffs going to be exposed awhile, because I'm painting the pan, chain cover, block and intake separately, though I may do the block and intake as a unit. Anyway, a nylon strap and some clothes pins and the block is airtight or close enough. I laid a sheet of plastic between what's exposed and the bag as well, can never be too careful[/QUOTE

Timing chain looks like it has a lot of play, might replace that as well
Old 05-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #6745
3757chevy

Finished making my shock relocation brackets. Now I need to drill out the rivets and install bolts bolts in their place. I got the idea from an old thread back in 2011 - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451200 - but of coarse I had to do it my way. I modified the plans and I was able to save on materials by using a single 12" piece and I think they look better. the 1st picture is the borrowed plan.
Attached Images

MIKE
Old 05-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #6746
rjs53

[quote=Metaldoc;8261342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Never turned an engine over before and never seen this view of an engine either. Surprisingly I was able to ID a lot of it. Anyway, getting the engine ready for paint/gaskets.

The Morosa bag is well worth the money. Nice and thick and easy to handle. Stuffs going to be exposed awhile, because I'm painting the pan, chain cover, block and intake separately, though I may do the block and intake as a unit. Anyway, a nylon strap and some clothes pins and the block is airtight or close enough. I laid a sheet of plastic between what's exposed and the bag as well, can never be too careful[/QUOTE

Timing chain looks like it has a lot of play, might replace that as well
I would put a factory style pump in. No high volume or high pressure. Even comp cams says they are both hard on timing gear and distributor shaft. Can cause wear do to pressure.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #6747
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Ha ha.......Timing chain AND a new pump. Until now I didn't recognize the association between distributor and pump, never mind crank and cam. Every once in a while when I punched it the timing was off, you know, before 2nd gear. I figure a once over on the dist., but see it could be a stretched chain. My driver does the same thing, only more often.

BTW, thanks for all the info.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-15-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #6748
Slingus

Today I took my '67 C20 on its maiden voyage after getting its fresh big block that I built running better, and with its fresh exhaust, wheels and tires! Very gratifying...

Next up, 2"/4" lowering!
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #6749
stevenfromtexas

blew this apart today.....
i wish i could say i was racing somebody but i can't. not too sure why this happened. it has been running great, even took my little girl for a ride around the block last night. i backed it out of the garage and parked it under the carport so i could do the buff/polish thing. i was stopping for the day and was gonna pull it back in the garage. turned the key and it sounded like a cannon went off!!! i still have some ringing in my ears.....
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #6750
70STOVEBOLT

Put my grille together with allNOS parts except the brackets and parking light housings. I may leave the inner grille black or I might paint the horizontal raised areas silver, not sure yet.
Attached Images

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI