The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
dennislbrooks

all new brake lines on an 06 K1500

Yesterday I removed all the brake lines and replaced them with stainless from Rockauto. Actually went better than I expected. I just need to bleed them along with changing the fluid. Good thing I have a lift --without it may have been very nasty.

Has anyone had to replace the trans cooling lines or the fuel lines on a 2000 - 2007? I am amazed at the rusting of the brake, trans cooling, and the fuel lines.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: all new brake lines on an 06 K1500

Every line will rust on trucks of that era.

Trans lines are easy. Fuel lines are a little interesting. They are easier to do at the same time as the brake lines so you can move the abs unit out of the way.

I'm not sure how much the stainless brake lines cost, but you can get them from the dealer(coated so they will never rust again) for about $100. They are prebent.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
dennislbrooks

I think the stainless from rockauto were 59 plus shipping but I also bought new rotors and pads. The stainless was prebent also. Bled the brakes with no apparent leaking fittings so tomorrow I will see if the abs light is behaving correctly.

Trans cooler lines are somewhat cheap but the fuel lines are like $180. I do not have to replace them yet and will try to slow down the corrosion.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #4
izzy_Britton

When the PO crashed my wifes truck he took out the trans cooler and busted the ends off the cooler lines. i gotta replace the lines from the trans to the cooler, complete. not really looking forward to this, but thefront sheet metal is completely removed so now might be the best time....

where are you getting the cooler lines? i am kinda scared the stealership will rape me. but the lines are mostly metal with some rubber flex joints, so i think i would like to replace them with OEM parts.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
dennislbrooks

I am not replacing mine yet but rockauto has some brand names including acdelco. I have not looked at napa.

All seems to be well on the stainless brake lines --abs is ok--- no initial leaks with the stainless lines. China apparently did a good job on the flares.

I did put on the the durastop extreme front brakes that have slotted and vented rotors for towing on it. I had replaced the front hubs a year and a half earlier with skf's - not cheap.

If you have the front end off, would be a good time to replace the brake lines and take a good look at the fuel lines also. I see you are not from the rust belt so maybe your lines are in good shape.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:27 AM   #6
izzy_Britton

stopped in at the stealership this morning. all the lines that i want are available, all 3 less than 100$ gonna pick those up tomorrow i think. my company discount drops the price to 63$. not worth screwing with trying to fix the ends of the fouled line.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
50 Chevy LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
Has anyone had to replace the trans cooling lines or the fuel lines on a 2000 - 2007? I am amazed at the rusting of the brake, trans cooling, and the fuel lines.
I lost a trans. line on a trip to Colorado, trailering a Jeep, on vacation. My truck is a '01, 2500HD. Had all three lines replaced at a shop in Colorado Springs, and the bill was less than $300. I knew they were rusty, just didn't realize how bad. The guys at the shop, I found, were wonderful. Fixed it on a Friday afternoon, and got us right back on the road.

GM has no excuse IMO, for these crappy lines. I have much older vehicles with lines that still look new.
50 Chevy LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
izzy_Britton

I have been under my truck a dozen times in the past month, they do not look difficult to replace. Getting it over the front cross member looks like the hardest part, and removing the grille if you have aux cooler.

I bought my new ac Delco lines yesterday from the steelership, in stock and full retail including Kalifornia tax was $98 out the door for all 3 lines.

I will be replacing my lines in the next couple weeks, I will try to remember photos along the way and will let ya'll know how it went.

-Izzy