The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Roland

Radiator Questions

I am putting a '99 LS1 GenIII w/460LE in my '72. Looking at matching up inlet/outlet from engine to radiator and it looks like the coolant flow is backward in the LS1 compared to the original 350. I thought I'd be able to use the original radiator since it has only a few hundred miles since new. What would be the effect of running the flow backward? Am I looking at this situation wrong? Should I be looking for a '99 Camaro rad? Will it fit if I buy one?

Thanks
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
Ridgeclimber

Re: Radiator Questions

I installed a LS LQ9 6 liter in my 1968 c10. I used the original two core c10 rad all summer. Seemed to work good. I found a 90 degree hose to fit the lower rad connection to the water pump. On the top rad hose I used the original LS hose then made a copper sleeve to adapt to a 90 degree adaptor hose to fit the top rad connection. Down the road I want to upgrade to a cross flow aluminum rad with both inlet and outlet on the right side. I also used Evans waterless coolant in the system, so I think that also helped keep it cool.
Ridgeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
Roland

Re: Radiator Questions

Thanks for the reply. So I guess the reverse flow on the coolant doesn't matter. Think I'll start out that way too and change if I have to.

Thanks again.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote