The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #26
dracko

Re: Correctly made window beltline felts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
The clip on the New one is almost in the center of the anti-Radler the original one sits closer to the bottom that will make yours set lower in the door this is one from LMC its closer to the ones you got than oem thay both have different clips than oem but the real problem is the design of the door and the way the window favers the out side thay all are going to hit LOL
Attachment 1887370
Is this picture a OG strip? Looks just like the ones I removed that were working fine.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #27
kdad

Feeling your pain... Love the truck color by the way. It is nearly 100% proof if the manufacturer says that you need to bend the attachment point on the door to install their product.... They know the felt strips are not right and have unwittingly acknowledge that by telling someone to bend the flange to accommodate their product.. Over here shaking my head because the first thing I did was bend the flange over to make room for these felt strips. Then I took the window attachment channel out and removed the glass and sanded the outside of the channel to smooth it. Then I ground down all of the excess material at the mounting points. On a separate note I was working on other areas of the truck yesterday and thinking to myself if a had a roller press I could feed these felt strips through the rollers and compress them to be as thin as the originals... Guess I will keep the options open until the new strips show up.

Good luck to all and we will report back soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
I wrecked the first set of Precision strips while removing them because they wouldn’t let the window go past. Told Precision what was happening and they said the flange needs to be bent back. They sent me another set free of charge and after bending the flange back on the drivers side, the glass goes all the way up, it does sit low though.

Tried the same on the PS and it was a no go. Looking forward to seeing how those rubber right way ones fit.

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #28
dracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Feeling your pain... Love the truck color by the way. It is nearly 100% proof if the manufacturer says that you need to bend the attachment point on the door to install their product.... They know the felt strips are not right and have unwittingly acknowledge that by telling someone to bend the flange to accommodate their product.. Over here shaking my head because the first thing I did was bend the flange over to make room for these felt strips. Then I took the window attachment channel out and removed the glass and sanded the outside of the channel to smooth it. Then I ground down all of the excess material at the mounting points. On a separate note I was working on other areas of the truck yesterday and thinking to myself if a had a roller press I could feed these felt strips through the rollers and compress them to be as thin as the originals... Guess I will keep the options open until the new strips show up.

Good luck to all and we will report back soon...
Thanks man, choosing a color took years off my life.

Prior to seeing that there is hope in another product, I also decided to modify the window on the PS to get it to fit, took the glass out, cleaned the channel it sits it and then evenly pinched it a tad with my vice so the glass still fits in it but it’s narrower. Instead of thicker butyl tape I was planning to set it with urethane caulk.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #29
nsb29

What I don’t understand is why’d thay make it so the chanel went that far up dracko May have an idea get granny’s ringer washing machine out I think over a period of time with the window up thay would flatten out
Old 03-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #30
OldGyrene

Quote:
Thanks man, choosing a color took years off my life.

Prior to seeing that there is hope in another product, I also decided to modify the window on the PS to get it to fit, took the glass out, cleaned the channel it sits it and then evenly pinched it a tad with my vice so the glass still fits in it but it’s narrower. Instead of thicker butyl tape I was planning to set it with urethane caulk.
I took a little different approach. I needed new glass, so had the local glass shop cut the new ones 3/8 inch longer on the flat channel side. Problem solved.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
kens65fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGyrene View Post
I took a little different approach. I needed new glass, so had the local glass shop cut the new ones 3/8 inch longer on the flat channel side. Problem solved.
Do you mean the bottom side of the glass, the edge that is glued into the window channel ?

Does the window go down all the way ?, or is there some glass sticking up, when completely lowered.
Attached Images

kens65fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #32
nsb29

Three eights of an inch would not be an issue as far as sticking up above the door on my truck it looks like it could be pretty much flush to a little less then flush had my truck out today first time in a while decided to try and see what was really different in the door that was causing this problem as I don’t think this is all the fault of the rattle strips on my truck both doors it looks like the post of the wind wing sits too far to the outside of the door it looks like if that lower bracket was to be shortened probably a quarter of an inch or so would solve the problem as the front comes in contact first so looking straight down in to the door I could see that the glass was center at the rear of the door but was a lot closer to the out side in the front and that were my lower channel 1st makes contact with the rattle strips I believe when my truck is done some weekend I will pull it apart and investigate it the only drawback I can see is if it was misaligned to clear the window regulator hmmmm ??
Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #33
forestb

My glasses and the channel it sits in will go up between the fuzzies but when it does I can see the outer door skin flex which worries me because my truck was freshly painted.

My plan was to raise the felts in the door channel so that the little mettle trim sits just along the top of the top of the door. I was going to try to accomplish this by removing the clips from the fuzzies and instead use tiny screws to mount them inside the channel. Another member on here has done it and talks about it another thread. Then I was going to see if I could either mount the glass a little higher in the holder. Or I thought I could order custom glass (as mentioned above). I think this will keep the channel that the window sits in from going in between the fuzzies. My problem is everything is already together and I don’t know if I can get the glass out without taking everything apart and I am afraid of drilling the holes for the little screws.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #34
forestb

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=707217&page=2

See post #32 on this thread to see what I mean about using screws.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #35
forestb

Here is a photo of the clips of the ones I got from precision. They are the closest I have seen to the original style clips. I think that these were the only ones that kept my windows from going all the way up
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #36
dracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGyrene View Post
That’s a solid idea if you’re replacing the glass anyways.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #37
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
Here is a photo of the clips of the ones I got from precision. They are the closest I have seen to the original style clips. I think that these were the only ones that kept my windows from going all the way up
I never bought any from Percision but you are correct that’s the closest I’ve seen to a correct clip it sits low which world put the fuzzy higher on the door but I think it’s the wind wing post sitting to close to the outside of the door that causes it to hit
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #38
OldGyrene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens65fb View Post
Do you mean the bottom side of the glass, the edge that is glued into the window channel ?

Does the window go down all the way ?, or is there some glass sticking up, when completely lowered.
Yes, that is where I added the 3/8, after measuring: yours may be different. And yes, the window still goes completely down. Worked for me.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #39
OldGyrene

Quote:
That’s a solid idea if you’re replacing the glass anyways.
Yep. Flat glass is fairly cheap and they had the original patterns. Any decent glass shop should be able to "make" a pattern off your original glass. Had them do it from tinted glass, also.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #40
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I never bought any from Percision but you are correct that’s the closest I’ve seen to a correct clip it sits low which world put the fuzzy higher on the door but I think it’s the wind wing post sitting to close to the outside of the door that causes it to hit
I will have to take a look at that. But from what I can remember ther is a large gap already between wind wing post and the outside of the door. It would be great if that was the problem.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #41
dracko

Well, narrowing the channel with a vice and gluing the window in with urethane caulk worked great. Window goes all the way up with little to no resistance and sits between the fuzzies like it should.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #42
jbgroby

Dracko.

Can you explain how you narrowed the channle? I was under the impression that it was the too narrow already.

Thanks
Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #43
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
Dracko.

Can you explain how you narrowed the channle? I was under the impression that it was the too narrow already.

Thanks
Jake
I think he is referring to the channel that is attached to the regulator which the glass is window taped into. Not the slot in the door that the window moves through that has the fuzzies attached to it.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #44
dracko

Yes what Forest said, I just removed the glass from the channel it sits in (well it damn near fell out in its own) ,cleaned it out, pinched the channel with a vice and then used urethane window adhesive to hold the glass in place, instead of tape. It makes its narrower.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #45
forestb

Is it possible to take the glass out with out taking the wing window bar out?
Old 03-26-2019, 12:51 PM   #46
dracko

No. The glass has to be in the 1/2 to 3/4 way up position and moved ahead to get off the rollers.
To get back on, bring the rear of the window up to get the front roller on the track, then forward past it and back onto the rear roller.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #47
forestb

Do I have to take it off the rollers? Cant I jut unbolt unbolt the channel from the piece that the rollers go into? Or are the bolt heads on the other side? I am not trying to argue or disagree with you just tying to trouble shoot.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #48
dracko

I’m not sure, maybe that would work...never really considered that. It’s not hard to take the vent window out and slide the window off/on the rollers.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 PM   #49
damnyankee36

jbgroby,

Did you get a chance to install the fuzzies from Rubber The Right Way?
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #50
G8rN@te61

How did the rubber the right way felt work? I'm about to pull the trigger on this and need to know. Otherwise is the consensus the precision are your best bet at this point?
G8rN@te61 is offline   Reply With Quote