The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
kmr16442

Power Steering questions

Hi,

I took my daughter to an empty parking lot to practice her parking skills. All was good with the truck, no so much with the parking practice. After about 20 minutes the truck started making some whining, grinding, and rattling noises. We headed home and I discovered the high pressure steering line head split and sprayed power steering fluid over the engine bay. The power steering reservoir was low and I topped it off with fresh fluid but it still sounded horrible pulling into the driveway. It also seemed to drag the engine idle down as well. My question is did we ruin the steering pump or will it return to normal after the high pressure hose is replaced? If the pump is toast, what do you recommend as a good replacement? Also what is the procedure for removing air from the system after hose replacement.

Thanks!
kmr16442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
92gmc

Re: Power Steering questions

If you ran it dry for any length of time it probably smoked the pump. Replace the broken line, fill it, turn it lock to lock a couple of times. If it is still howling - time for new or rebuilt. I have had good luck with rebuilts but some prefer new. You will need a P/S pulley puller/installer. You can rent one. But you can't get the pump off without removing the pulley. Good luck!
92gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
kmr16442

Thanks 92 GMC! I replaced the high pressure line and the pump was barely pumping anything. I took your advice and got a rebuilt pump from NAPA with an EVO bypass connector. Removing the pump was pretty straightforward. The rebuilt pump had the studs on the back reversed and all of NAPA's stock was the same reversed way. I unscrewed the studs and swapped them. The pulley install was a bear because I used the rinky dink bolt and washer that was in the rebuilt pump box. I ended up renting the install tool and it was a piece of cake then. The steering feel without the EVO is so much nicer. Thanks for your advice!
kmr16442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmr16442 View Post
Thanks 92 GMC! I replaced the high pressure line and the pump was barely pumping anything. I took your advice and got a rebuilt pump from NAPA with an EVO bypass connector. Removing the pump was pretty straightforward. The rebuilt pump had the studs on the back reversed and all of NAPA's stock was the same reversed way. I unscrewed the studs and swapped them. The pulley install was a bear because I used the rinky dink bolt and washer that was in the rebuilt pump box. I ended up renting the install tool and it was a piece of cake then. The steering feel without the EVO is so much nicer. Thanks for your advice!

EVO bypass connector?

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
95 S_Trucker

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/Ge...58222pdf?$PDF$
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
pwdcougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
Wow thanks! This solenoid went out while my truck was still under warranty. I'm going to have to check to see if they bypassed it or not,

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote