The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Bobby Pootz

basic tools to keep in truck

Hey folks,

I'm planning my road trip to SF to drive my new to me 1984 C10, it's already had a tune up and inspection from a local shop that fixed every major issue, starter, heating, headlights, etc. But I want to have some basic tools or parts (high temp self sealing tape, duct tape) on board for the trip home just in case.

Any recommendations for basic tools/parts to keep in the truck? I'm coming from a Toyota so I know I'll need SAE mostly ,I'm assuming.

Also, what's the approximate space both under and behind a standard bench seat?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Bobby Pootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: basic tools to keep in truck

You will likely have a mix of metric and sae fasteners. Body tends to metric while the drive train tends to sae. But exceptions are plenty. You may also have some of the torx screws in and around the lights. A quart of oil, transmission fluid and a gallon of water/used coolant just in case. A few spare bulbs for tail/signal lights.

A combo metric/sae 3/8" socket set with extensions and u-joint, an adjustable wrench, basic pliers, a few screwdrivers, hammer, large screwdriver or something to use as a roadside belt tension adjuster. Make sure you have what you need to change a tire. OEM stuff often goes missing. Known good tire pressure gauge.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
Bobby Pootz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
You will likely have a mix of metric and sae fasteners. Body tends to metric while the drive train tends to sae. But exceptions are plenty. You may also have some of the torx screws in and around the lights. A quart of oil, transmission fluid and a gallon of water/used coolant just in case. A few spare bulbs for tail/signal lights.

A combo metric/sae 3/8" socket set with extensions and u-joint, an adjustable wrench, basic pliers, a few screwdrivers, hammer, large screwdriver or something to use as a roadside belt tension adjuster. Make sure you have what you need to change a tire. OEM stuff often goes missing. Known good tire pressure gauge.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed response!

Rob
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:

Great advice, and that is pretty much exactly what I carry in my DD, with the addition of a set of jumper cables, an assortment of hose clamps, a few zip ties a good flashlight and my Mossberg Maverick 88 .

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:00 PM   #5
In The Ten Ring

Since the original poster is driving to California ("SF" is San Francisco right), we can probably forget about him bringing a gun, even a shotgun.

Brother, I carry so many tools and spares you probably wouldn't believe it but that's in my car. Our trucks have no space under seat or behind it, not with gas tank back there. I am going to build myself a tool box for my truck bed to give me some gear space.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
ranger danger

Quote:

Stop at a walmart when you get here and pick up the spare fluids along with a Styrofoam ice chest and some drinks and snacks, paper towels etc. I shipped a box of stuff fedex to the guy I bought it from and he had it waiting for me. That way I didnt have to mess with checked baggage. Interestingly enough, I got my Suburban in Yakima Wa and drove back very close to SF. Have fun!!
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
Bobby Pootz

Thanks for all the replies. My wife and I flew to SF and the very first night the headlights didn't work so we got new lights and I was able to zip tie one of the leads to have them stay put. The PO put some dumb none proper lights in it.

I did have a bunch of tools and supplies and luckily did not need them. Now I can see how much tools and spare parts I can stuff under the bench seat!

Rob
Old 04-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Grumpus Monkus

Hey Rob, I know your back or on your way back home. Just thought I'd chime in with what we carry:
A couple of cans of "fix-a-flat", an air compressor that runs of the cigarette lighter, and a tire repair kit that we got from O'rielly's, this particular one to be exact.
Name:  index.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  7.3 KB
I also keep a small floor jack so should I have a need for a jack. It's a lot better than a bottle jack or scissor jacks IMHO.

All the best.

1981 C20 350ci TH350 LWB Edelbrock Carb
Grumpus Monkus is offline   Reply With Quote