The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
trav_rich

76 2wd to 77 4wd Swap and Resto

I am hoping to restore my wifes 1977 longbed 4x4 chevy. The body (including cab) are probably rusted beyond hope. I have acquired a 76 2wd longbed that has been repainted but is in overall pretty good condition. I want to swap all 76 body parts including cab to the 77. Then do a repaint and restoration. I have no body experience but a decent mechanical background.

Any suggestions or comments on feasibility would be appreciated.

Hope to post pics of both trucks tomorrow to show what I am working with.
trav_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
trav_rich

Re: 76 2wd to 77 4wd Swap and Resto

Here are pics of the donor truck. Looks great from a distance, but close inspection reveals paint is not original. No visible rust in rear bedside but there is an are where magnet wont stick with small crack forming.
Attached Images

trav_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
1Cobra427

probably get loads of good parts from this one though!
1Cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Big Tex

Trav Rich-
This is a pretty straight forward swap. I did it, and the truck comes apart really easy. My build is in the 4x4 section. The only problem I had was the trans tunnel on the 2wd cab. It's about 3" shorter, and will hit the transfer case. Yours should have the bolt in tranny tunnel, so I'd cut out the 2wd tunnel, but leave a lip to bolt the 4wd tranny tunnel to. Otherwise, I lifted my bed off with an engine hoist with web straps in an "X" pattern accross the bed. I left my cab and front clip bolted together, and picked it up as one unit. I put jack stands under the core support, and jacked up the back of the cab a little bit at a time. Once it's high enough, you can roll out the 2wd frame and slide the 4wd one right under the truck and start letting it back down.

I didn't mention all the disconnecting. Brake lines, wiring harness at firewall, steering shaft, throtttle cable, e-brake....

Good luck though. It's pretty straight forward. Check out my thread for pics of the cab in the air. It's a lot easier if you have a lift....if not, this is the "poor boy" way.