The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
72k5zl1

who's got all the hickey enterprises parts stashed?

looking for a dana diff cover and whatever else may be out there. thanks, glen
72k5zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
71jimmy

Re: who's got all the hickey enterprises parts stashed?

you and about 300 others.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
cleszkie

I have a swing away tire carrier, roll bar, vinyl foam padded three spoke steering wheel, sidewinder winch, interior auxiliary fuel cell, 37 gallon under truck fuel tank, slant nose fiberglass hood, and bedside pocket steps. All on my Blazer and not for sale. Took me a loooong time to accumulate the stuff. I've seen the diff covers out there, so good luck. You will not have me as competition since I run a 14 bolt rear and Dana 60 front, and these covers were typically for the Dana 44/12 Bolt combination.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
warbucket

Is this fiberglass roof rack a Hickey product? I'm getting ready to paint it and install.

warbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
1949gmc

I've just got a roll bar
1995 GMC 1500 SLE
1998 Chevy Camaro SS Vert- SLP# 0004
1999 Chevy Camaro Z28 6spd Hardtop
2004 Chevy 2500HD CC DMAX LT
2008 Chevy Suburban LTZ
2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS, blue one
2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS, black one
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Chulisohombre

You see that stuff come up for sale every so often. But it few and far between. Most guys that have it will never part with it for that reason. And if they do its expensive.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
mrtoni

Ive been collecting too. I have 3 sidewinders, one is still in original box with new cable and snatch block. I have new fuel switch for multiple tanks. Two new fold down steps. Two push bars both welded, one is nos, one has the attachable grille and headlight guard. I have two swing away tire carriers and kyst bought a nos carrie that goes all the way side to side with jerry can holders and tire in the middle. Couple skid plates too

Im looking for dana 44/60 diff covers and steering wheel, jackman 16.5's and a fiberglass lowrise hood. Oh yeah, i lost half my fiberglass roofrack so looking to replace that also.

Matt in Reno
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I got nothing but damn some of you guys have a hell of a collection..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
72k5zl1

heres a tank out of my old 72 k5 with the zl1 big block. i copied it in stainless. i'm going to make a couple more again. this time i plan on adding an ls style pump location so a gm,napa.advanced auto pump will go right in but look stock otherwise. heres a roof rack for the new blazer . also have the tire/can carrier and skid plate. the hitch i do not know about but its coming off and will be for sale or trade towards a front cover. last is the nos rear cover i just bought from another board member. showed up yesterday. thanks. out back i had a semi float 35 spline 60 that moser botched up the housing on. i shelved it for a few months and found the 12 bolt cover last weekend. new plans, cutting off the ends on the 12 bolt and welding on big bearing cups and put 30 spline axles with no c clip. going to widen it a 3" to bring it closer to the front width.
Attached Images

72k5zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
skorpioskorpio

I had the tank, sold, the tire carrier, sold, the rollbar, sold, the coilover shocks, sold, and still have a roof rack and tow hooks.
2003 GMC Sonoma "Miami"

1991 GMC Suburban "Aurora" GONE! (inroute to Japan)
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #11
Iron Hauler

Okay I've been hearing a lot lately on this Hickey stuff, what's the story on this company? Did they just manufacture stuff for blazers? When did they go out of business? Who knows maybe there plant is boarded up with all the tooling and molds still around just waiting to be used again.
Iron Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
Chulisohombre

Here's a article on 4wheeler mag. http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/.../photo-07.html
And the history of Vic hickey and hickey enterprises.

Vic Hickey – 1976 Inductee Vic Hickey is recognized for his achievements as an off-road vehicle designer. He helped design vehicles which are cultural icons today such as the Chevrolet Blazer, the Humvee, the Lunar Rover and the legendary off road race vehicle the Baja Boot.
In 1919 Vic Hickey was born in Akron, Ohio. His family moved to South Gate, California soon after his birth. As a boy Hickey spilt his time between South Gate and his grandfather’s ranch in Tenachapi, California. As a young man he found flying, sports (including roller derby), hunting and hot rods interesting. By age 12 he had purchased his first car a Model T Ford and by 16 he had soloed his first airplane. In his teens he raced cars across Southern California’s dry lake beds. He earned his pilots license at age 19. He self taught himself to work on sprint cars, dry lake racers, and Novi Indy Cars. At age 24 in 1943 he attended the Navy’s pre-flight training program at Cal Poly, San Louis Obispo Campus. He served the Navy during World War II. While in the military he invented a device which converted air-to-ground missiles into ship-to-ship missiles. After the War he returned to Southern California and his young wife Leona.

Hickey met his wife Leona at a California roller rink. As a roller derby racer he had been speeding around the rink, when he accidentally knocked her over. He asked her out. The couple were married for 63 years and had two children Jim and Gail. Because of his family Hickey choose to design, build and repair race cars for others rather than take the risks of driving himself. He once stated, I figured anybody can drive a car, not everyone can build one.

Building and designing innovative vehicles, many well before their time, is what Hickey is most recognized for. He worked on numerous projects many providing long lasting contributions that would help from space exploration to traversing earth’s varied terrain. When he returned from WWII he briefly attended Cal Poly again on the GI Bill and studied Physical Education. He then opened his auto shop in Los Angeles where he specialized in Indy Dragsters. During the Korean War he developed flotation devices and extra wheel kits for Military Jeeps to keep them from getting stuck in rice patties. Rolling with the success from these inventions he felt that a better off-road vehicle could be developed the general public too. Between 1957 and 1959 Hickey developed an off-road vehicle he called the Trailblazer. His father helped to come up with the name. The vehicle had a prototype General Motors engine which his friend Bill Yeager helped him secure. Ed Cole the General Manager of GM came to California to see the capabilities of Hickey’s new vehicle. Hickey took Cole for a test drive in a dry river bed. Cole ended up driving and pushing the vehicle as hard as he could eventually breaking a tie-rod, suitably impressed with its performance he offered to buy the rights to the vehicle, its name and offered Hickey a job as a research and development engineer. The Trailblazer would not go into GM production as the Blazer until 2001, forty-two years after Hickey conceptualized the vehicle.

While at GM Hickey specialized in designing off-road military vehicles. There he helped develop amphibious vehicles, improved independent suspension which would be used on vehicles designed to explore the lunar landscape. He led the group which built the mobile Geological Trainer for the Apollo Space program as well as the Lunar Rover which went to the moon.

GM gave Hickey a semi-blessing to also work on off-road race vehicles in his shop. In 1967 with the help of friends he built the Baja Boot in 30 days. The Boot was a racing version of the Trailblazer and could hit a top speed of 140 miles per hour. Its first drivers Al Knapp and Drino Miller tested it at the 1967 Baja 1000 where its speed capability proved to be a liability and a rear suspension strut broke. Bud Ekins raced the vehicle at the inaugural 1969, Baja 500 to victory. The Boot had two other famous drivers, Steve McQueen and James Garner. The Baja Boot was the first purpose-built racer for the Baja event.

Hickey left GM in 1968 and set up Hickey Enterprises. He continued to work with GM as a main client for another 13 years. Now having his own shop he had the opportunity to experiment more with the types of off-road vehicles he chose to develop. He designed and built the Banshee for James Garner to race. This vehicle had an Olds Cutlass frame, an aluminum 455-inch Oldsmobile engine and toped out at a speed of 150 miles per hour. Garner won the Riverside Grand Prix in it. While Hickey enjoyed fabricating one-off race cars it was not very profitable. Hickey Enterprises grew beyond just developing race vehicles quickly and included the development and fabrication of aftermarket parts for off-road vehicles including the Blazer, Ford Bronco and Dodge Ram Trucks. By 1979 the company grew to 140 employees and a catalogue which listed over 1,400 items. Hickey chose to sell the company once it became more focused on manufacturing rather than design.

In semi-retirement he continued designing for GM, U-haul and others. In 1979 Hickey took a contract with the Food Machinery Corporation (FCM) to design a High-Mobility Multi-Purpose Wheel Vehicle (HMMWV). The vehicle would become known as the Humvee and eventually the Hummer. This vehicle was basically a very heavy duty version of the Baja Boot. The U.S. Army viewed the vehicles at a demonstration and had ten more built for testing. AM General began building the vehicles for the Army. By 1995 over 150,000 Humvees had been built for the U.S. Military and its allies. In 1999 General Motors purchased the name Hummer from AM General and began producing civilian versions of the vehicle. Hickey and his wife moved to the ranch of their dreams a 900 acre property near Paso Robles. In 2000 they sold the ranch and moved to Arroyo Grande. Hickey passed away of natural causes on June 13, 2003 at the age of 84.

Sources: Rafferty, Tod. The Achievers, Central California’s Engineering Pioneers. Central Coast History Foundation, San Luis Obispo, CA. 2004.

Obituary Victor Francis Hickey, The San Luis Obispo Tribune, 10 July 2003, p.B2.

Last edited by Chulisohombre; 11-18-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
warbucket

Great info chuilsohombre, I just picked this up Today.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
Chulisohombre

Sweet find. Now you can hang your blazer from a tree like he did. Lol
Old 11-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I've got Hickey saddle tanks in the blazer.
Attached Images

Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucket View Post
Great info chuilsohombre, I just picked this
Nice....where in the world did you find that John?

Great work on the top

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
1972CST

I ran across a Hickey catalog that someone scanned over in the 4 wheel drive section on this forum.
I will see if I have it saved.
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
warbucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Nice....where in the world did you find that John?

Great work on the top
Thanks Jim. Craigslist, I just typed in Hickey and there it was.

I been meaning to ask ya, Do you have any glass for the top? I need one softray side glass, my top had one softray and one clear.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #19
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Here's a sidewinder on CL - http://skagit.craigslist.org/pts/4147762412.html
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucket View Post
Thanks Jim. Craigslist, I just typed in Hickey and there it was.

I been meaning to ask ya, Do you have any glass for the top? I need one softray side glass, my top had one softray and one clear.
Ill have to check, but theres two hardtops in the yard with weeds growing around them....remind me, if i dont get back to you

Nice find bouncytruck, didnt know they were that available. Thanks for posting up...btw, pretty cool saddle tanks, been thinking of something like those to increase my fuel mileage range. Cant do anything about the mpg rite now

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
robs71k5
K5drive

Does the Hickey winch install under a sport bumper .Anyone have pics of one installed ?
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #22
Chulisohombre

Red face Re: who's got all the hickey enterprises parts stashed?

I've never seen one up close but it looks to bolt into the frame rails and hangs In the place pf the front bumper. Looks to take the place of the front crossmember. Looks like would need to mod your stock one or replace with hickey or aftermarket bumper.

Last edited by Chulisohombre; 11-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
Chulisohombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
I've never seen one up close but it looks to bolt into the frame rails and hangs In the place pf the front bumper. Looks to take the place of the front crossmember. Looks like would need to mod your stock one or replace with hickey or aftermarket bumper.
If you look at the post I have above. The add from four wheeler mag shows how they were mounted.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
cleszkie

I mounted my Sidewinder behind my sport bumper on a custom mount that i made. I didn't much care for the look of the enormous front plate on the Hickey unit. Now just the little fairlead sticks out, and that is hidden behind a flip up license plate holder.

On a tangent, I have the 1974 and 1975 Hickey Catalogues. I have an original color hard copy of the 1974 catalogue and a color pdf file of the 1975 catalogue. I also have one of the Hickey jacket patches that is sold in the cataloge.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Desert Dynamics was another company that sold most of the same stuff as Hickey. I've had quite a bit of this stuff through the years,especially when I had my Blazers. I think the only piece I have now is the steel console.

'67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi...project 'Driver Quality'
'72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok...'The 72'
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm just a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. East Side Low Life __________ R.I.P. El Jay_____________ R.I.P. 72BLUZ _____________
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote