The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2017, 01:02 AM   #26
2bo.c10

Re: Tail light ground problem?

I had the exact same issue - I was not getting a good ground from the self grounding light housing. I just ran a ground wire between the housing and the frame and it solved all my problems.
2bo.c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:39 AM   #27
forestb

So I found this on this sight. I think my tail lights were plugged into where my dash light should have been plugged in. No wonder they stopped working and that little spring was burnt out. I am going to get a new switch from NAPA and will try installing it this weekend. For all of you that are telling me to check the ground. I have and grounding them directly did not salve the problem. I will keep them grounded directly though.
Attached Images

forestb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #28
forestb

Installed new switch this weekend. Still does not work. I am going to take the truck back to the guy that did the wireing originally and see if he can figure out the mess.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #29
forestb

Found this today. It is a wire that got squished by a bolt. It is a wire that goes to my tail lights. I fixed it but didn't get a chance to see if it salved the problem. I am hopeful but I am thinking it will not fix it sense it was only one wire and both tail lights don't work.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #30
damnyankee36

Which wire is it? Is it at the tail light bracket area? If it's the tail light wire, it would have shorted the entire circuit to ground. But it also would have blown the taillight fuse.
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #31
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnyankee36 View Post
Which wire is it? Is it at the tail light bracket area? If it's the tail light wire, it would have shorted the entire circuit to ground. But it also would have blown the taillight fuse.
It is less than a foot from the tail lights and it is a white that goes into the tail light. Tomorrow I will hook up the tail lights and see if it is fixed. There was a blown fuse but it was not a tail light fuse but the tail lights might have been piggy backed to that fuse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #32
forestb

So the crushed wire was the problem. I also was having a lot of trouble with getting the bulbs to sit in the socket correctly. That would cause the tail light to stop working if the wire was twisted a certain way but I go that fixed and all is working correctly. Also the tail light and the dash light wires were switched at the headlight switch. Thank you all for your help.