The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
On a 71 c10 step side

How much can you lower it without have major work and it be safe? I don't want to nag it. I was thinking 5-7 drop but don't know much about these trucks. This is my first full size truck.
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
PGSigns
Senior Member
 
PGSigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hayes Va
Posts: 3,307
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

5/7 is a lot of drop to get started. What are the overall plans? Are you planning disc brakes or other mods? What wheel and tires are you thinking about? If you are thinking disc brakes 2 1/2 spindles and 2 inch springs. Then 4 to 6" springs depending on how much rake you want.
Jimmy
__________________
60 to 66 Chevy and GMC window decals
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=661131
Good friends, good food and a hotrod what else do you need?
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

I have front disc and have not decided on wheels yet was thinking of 20x8 fronts and 20x10 or 12 on the rear
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
zach_carver
Senior Member
 
zach_carver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Blue Ridge,GA
Posts: 360
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

Most people I know like the 4/6 best. With spindles and springs in the front. 4/6 is a good drop, and still doesn't hang on everything.
__________________
1965 C10 LS2/4l70, SWB, PS, PB, 5/7, 20"

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

2006 GTO LS2 M6, LT, COMP CAM, X AIR INTAKE, FAST, PEDDERS, VMR, MGW 447HP/415TQ
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:40 AM   #5
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

I guess I need to see some pics of 4-6 and 5-7 drops so I can see how low it really is
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
BossHogg69
motor exploder
 
BossHogg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,183
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471442

30-odd pages of static drops there.

On a step side, good luck squeezing a 10" wide wheel with a 6 or 7 inch rear drop. 12" wide wheel is definitely not happening without a mini-tub, but that may already have been in your plans. Lots of info around here on lowered wheel and tire fitments, these questions are asked regularly. Using the search function will net you hours of material to read and pics to look at.

So, are you going to be running a '5 speed & 540' in this new truck? We need details!
__________________
Adam

1969 Chevy CST/10 swb stepside

2005 GMC ccsb 1500, 5.3/3.73 G80, tow pkg

1965 Chevy Belair Wagon, 350/TH350, factory a/c

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "NUMBERS MATCHING" '67-72 C10!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
BossHogg69
motor exploder
 
BossHogg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,183
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

I will add that a big block up front and a 5" drop will require a pretty stiff spring to keep the crossmember/lower a-arms from kissing the concrete, as it will likely only be a few inches off the ground.
__________________
Adam

1969 Chevy CST/10 swb stepside

2005 GMC ccsb 1500, 5.3/3.73 G80, tow pkg

1965 Chevy Belair Wagon, 350/TH350, factory a/c

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "NUMBERS MATCHING" '67-72 C10!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471442

30-odd pages of static drops there.

On a step side, good luck squeezing a 10" wide wheel with a 6 or 7 inch rear drop. 12" wide wheel is definitely not happening without a mini-tub, but that may already have been in your plans. Lots of info around here on lowered wheel and tire fitments, these questions are asked regularly. Using the search function will net you hours of material to read and pics to look at.

So, are you going to be running a '5 speed & 540' in this new truck? We need details!
It's a step side truck and the bed is rotted to death so gonna tub it out and make it cool
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
I will add that a big block up front and a 5" drop will require a pretty stiff spring to keep the crossmember/lower a-arms from kissing the concrete, as it will likely only be a few inches off the ground.
It will be a small block the big block was in my 90 as truck I had
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #10
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

I will be running a 6spd and some type of small block around 400 to 450hp. Lowered 4-6 to 5-7 not bagged. 20 in wheels was thinking 20x8 and 20x 10 or 12 rear. It's a coil spring truck. Not dead set on any of it other than a small block and stick shift truck lowered. I am open to any ideas.
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
BossHogg69
motor exploder
 
BossHogg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,183
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

I'm not on 20's, but my truck is lowered roughly 4.5" (spindles/springs) up front and 7.5" in back (6" spring, 1.5" block), but the big block adds a little more weight up front, so it's really closer to 5" (actual measurements, not guessing). I started out with a 2.5" spindle and 3" CPP drop spring, but I dragged the arms a couple times, so I went with stiffer Hotchkis 2" spring that's 1400#/inch and they keep everything high and tight .

What tire sizes are you wanting to run? My tires are 26.5" up front and 27" in the rear as they sit on the truck. Just something else to consider. Then you have to decide if you're going to run inner fenders, and then backspace of the wheels to make sure it all clears, and the list goes on...
__________________
Adam

1969 Chevy CST/10 swb stepside

2005 GMC ccsb 1500, 5.3/3.73 G80, tow pkg

1965 Chevy Belair Wagon, 350/TH350, factory a/c

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "NUMBERS MATCHING" '67-72 C10!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #12
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
I'm not on 20's, but my truck is lowered roughly 4.5" (spindles/springs) up front and 7.5" in back (6" spring, 1.5" block), but the big block adds a little more weight up front, so it's really closer to 5" (actual measurements, not guessing). I started out with a 2.5" spindle and 3" CPP drop spring, but I dragged the arms a couple times, so I went with stiffer Hotchkis 2" spring that's 1400#/inch and they keep everything high and tight .

What tire sizes are you wanting to run? My tires are 26.5" up front and 27" in the rear as they sit on the truck. Just something else to consider. Then you have to decide if you're going to run inner fenders, and then backspace of the wheels to make sure it all clears, and the list goes on...
I want the truck lowered and then I will build around that don't want to build around a set of wheels. Like I said before this is my first truck so I am new to all of this. I am open to ideas. I may. E going about this all wrong so if I am please steer me correct.
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #13
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

What size are your wheels . I love your set up.
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
BossHogg69
motor exploder
 
BossHogg69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,183
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

19x9 in front, 6" backspace; 19x12 rear, 6" backspace. The rear end is narrowed 2" (it was already the narrower 67-70 six lug 12 bolt housing, and I cut 1" more off each side and swapped over to Ford 9" style housing ends)

Tires are 275/35 front, 345/30 rear. I'm running stock inner fenders. Nothing rubs, drags or scrapes.
__________________
Adam

1969 Chevy CST/10 swb stepside

2005 GMC ccsb 1500, 5.3/3.73 G80, tow pkg

1965 Chevy Belair Wagon, 350/TH350, factory a/c

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "NUMBERS MATCHING" '67-72 C10!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #15
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

I do think I would like to be able to use bought inner fenders and not have to build a set.
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !
 
Tx Firefighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,063
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

I've driven 4/6 lowered trucks continuously since the late 80s. For me they just work. I haven't ever torn anything up that required repair.

I have owned a couple that were lower and you really need to be familiar with the roads or very diligent or you'll bash your front arms onto something. My current project is going down from 5/6 to 6/8 and I wouldn't want to drive it at night over unfamiliar roads unless I wasn't being rushed by heavy traffic and could pay real close attention to where I was going.
__________________
Kevin -

My Instagram
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
5spd540
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: EDEN GA
Posts: 191
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I've driven 4/6 lowered trucks continuously since the late 80s. For me they just work. I haven't ever torn anything up that required repair.

I have owned a couple that were lower and you really need to be familiar with the roads or very diligent or you'll bash your front arms onto something. My current project is going down from 5/6 to 6/8 and I wouldn't want to drive it at night over unfamiliar roads unless I wasn't being rushed by heavy traffic and could pay real close attention to where I was going.
Yes I don't want to sacrifice the drivablility of it for looks. It not gonna be a daily but will get driven a good bit.
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
68Stepbed
Living The Dream
 
68Stepbed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sevierville,Tennessee
Posts: 5,135
Re: On a 71 c10 step side

This is how my truck sat with a 4.5/6.75 drop. 18x9.5 wheels and 285/40/18 tires.





It's currently getting a TCI full front and rear coilover suspension, which should yield about a 5/7 drop. This is how she looks right now with no engine, fluids, or bed.

__________________
Matt
Thank you to all our soldiers and their sacrifices.
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com