The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
68_Step

No Clutch

Pulled the motor in my C10 to fix leaks and replace clutch. We cranked yesterday (Sounds great!!), but we do not have a clutch at all. When I push in the clutch pedal it feels like I am only pushing against the clutch pedal return spring. It grinds when trying to put it in gear, and will not go in gear. I only tried reverse - was afraid I might run through the back of the shop! The clutch rod is adjusted to its maximum length. The clutch was working before I pulled the motor - just figured i would replace since the motor was coming out. The clutch was last replaced in 1994.

What could I have done wrong? What can I look for without pulling transmission? Or am I just putting off something I am going to have to do?

The photo below is from my Haynes manual. Is the clutch disk orientated the right way?
Attached Images

68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
7tee

Re: No Clutch

It sounds like the throwout bearing is in backwards to me...
7tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Did you use the same style of pressure plate as you took out?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Did you use the same style of pressure plate as you took out?

LockDoc
Yes I did, I checked old against new to make sure I got the right one. Zoom MU9091-1
Old 06-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tee View Post
It sounds like the throwout bearing is in backwards to me...
When installed on the fork, the large bearing surface should be in between the fork and pressure plate "fingers", right?
Old 06-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #6
old Chevy guy

Yes the larger turning surface toward the motor side. Can you see up in there to judge what's going on with the inspection cover off on the bottom? if the fingers are depressing then the pressure plate is junk. otherwise some dimension has changed to make it so your not getting enough throw. was the throw-out bearing changed too? If so are you sure that height was the same?
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
Jurassic-1

Did you replace the throw-out bearing? They have a couple of different heights of throw-out bearings It may be a long shot but can happen. If not can the adjustment be changed.
Jurassic-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
was the throw-out bearing changed too? If so are you sure that height was the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 View Post
Did you replace the throw-out bearing? They have a couple of different heights of throw-out bearings It may be a long shot but can happen. If not can the adjustment be changed.
Yes, the throw out bearing was changed. As I was comparing old and new - the bearings were the same diameter and thickness / height.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
68_Step

I will climb under tonight to see if I can see anything, covers are off - not sure if I can get a pic...
Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
firedemon

did you cut the flywheel the different thickness throw out bearings are for when the flywheel gets thinner there has been times I had to make a new adjuster rod . it really sounds like it is out of adjustment if something with the clutch plate was backward you would not be able to bolt it together the throwout bearing will usually only go one way . I have seen bad pressure plate right out of the box .
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #11
old Chevy guy

any updates? very curious about this one.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
did you cut the flywheel the different thickness throw out bearings are for when the flywheel gets thinner there has been times I had to make a new adjuster rod . it really sounds like it is out of adjustment if something with the clutch plate was backward you would not be able to bolt it together the throwout bearing will usually only go one way . I have seen bad pressure plate right out of the box .
Yes, I had the flywheel resurfaced. Did you just make a longer rod?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #13
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Chevy guy View Post
any updates? very curious about this one.
Not a lot of update just a photo of the throw out bearing. Kinda hard to get a decent pic. I will get under the truck tomorrow or Thursday evening and have someone push the clutch pedal so I can watch the bearing. Question: with the clutch released (pedal not pushed in) should the throw out bearing be touching the pressure plate fingers?
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
cleszkie

You said you pulled the motor. To do so, you had to disconnect the bellcrank at least on the engine side. Is your bellcrank properly re-mounted? If it is loose on one or both ends, the clutch fork will not be depressed properly, the tranny will not go into gear, and the only resistance you will fee is the pedal return spring.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
ultrahd4me

I had the same problem on a 67 with a 3 speed. I hate to give you the bad news, but you more than likely have the clutch fork retaining clip in backwards or not fully seated on the ball stud. The clip has a curve to it and needs to be seated correctly to allow the clutch to be positioned correctly. I had to remove the trans again and the bellhousing to get it right. You'll know fairly quick if it's right, you should about 3/8"-1/2" free play in the peddle and about 1" of threads past the nut on the zbar.
Attached Images

ultrahd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #16
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrahd4me View Post
I had the same problem on a 67 with a 3 speed. I hate to give you the bad news, but you more than likely have the clutch fork retaining clip in backwards or not fully seated on the ball stud. The clip has a curve to it and needs to be seated correctly to allow the clutch to be positioned correctly. I had to remove the trans again and the bellhousing to get it right. You'll know fairly quick if it's right, you should about 3/8"-1/2" free play in the peddle and about 1" of threads past the nut on the zbar.
Oh crap... I will check in the morning, but I think that clip is on my workbench. I saw it last night and wondered "what the heck is that?" My workbench is a mess right now, littered with everything from Snapper mower to Farmall H parts. How does that fit into the fork? I can't wait till morning - heading to the barn now!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:21 PM   #17
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
You said you pulled the motor. To do so, you had to disconnect the bellcrank at least on the engine side. Is your bellcrank properly re-mounted? If it is loose on one or both ends, the clutch fork will not be depressed properly, the tranny will not go into gear, and the only resistance you will fee is the pedal return spring.
Bell crank = the Z bar, right? I will check tomorrow night
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
ultrahd4me

There is a recessed slot milled around the hole the clip rides in, and the curve goes toward the hole. I would strongly recommend you pull it all, then assemble the bellhousing, clutch fork, retaining clip, and clutch fork boot all together. One last thing, you should get a firm "pop" when the clutch fork is seated on the ball, if not, then it's not installed correct or the clip has lost it strength. You can still get them from GM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #19
68_Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68_Step View Post
Oh crap... I will check in the morning, but I think that clip is on my workbench. I saw it last night and wondered "what the heck is that?" My workbench is a mess right now, littered with everything from Snapper mower to Farmall H parts. How does that fit into the fork? I can't wait till morning - heading to the barn now!
The new clip is on the bench. So either the old clip is in there (possibly incorrectly) or no clip at all. Sigh, they say the mind is the first thing to go

Friday night I will prep to pull and will pull Saturday morning when my son can help.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
ultrahd4me

I think I gave you some incorrect info on the clutch free play. You need about 1"-1.5" travel in the pedal to be correct. That should put the clutch release toward the top of the pedal travel, but it can be fine tuned. I would also recommend you change the linkage bushings at the trans, and column while your doing all this. It will shift like butter after all that for an extra $10-$15.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:34 PM   #21
68_Step

I think my next step in troubleshooting my problem may be striking a match

Still no clutch. This is what I did: I pulled the transmission and clutch assembly. I matched up the old throwout bearing to the new, they are the same diameter and same height. The clutch disk was installed the correct direction, it even has a label "this side toward flywheel". I checked the spring that holds the clutch fork to the ball stud in the bell housing. The fork is firmly clipped to the ball stud.

When you push the clutch in the clutch rod moves the clutch fork (measured where the rod goes through the fork) 1-1/4 inches. If it matters, my clutch rod is about 9-1/2 inches long, looks like a 3/8 rod.

Could I have gotten a bum pressure plate? It was a Zoom

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
hamjet

Did you put # 3 in the pic back on the pushrod? And if so, can someone lay under the truck and watch what happens when the clutch pedal is depressed?
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
truckdude239

your missing the little fork piece on teh end of the rod number 3 in the picture above that will take out the 1/2 of play you have thats causing your clutch not to work.

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #24
65standard

Yeah, you're missing the nut (3) at the end of the push rod. Also, you have the wrong style of spring clips (7) on the push rods at the crossshaft.

1953 Chevy 3100 392 Hemi w/727 & 9” Ford
1985 Chevy C/10 6.0L 4L80 373 locker
65standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #25
kray59

Cool Re: No Clutch

subscribed . would be interested in final solution . good luck .

Beware the man who only owns 1 rifle , he probably knows how to use it.
kray59 is offline   Reply With Quote