The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
lutronjim

Please update your account

Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.

What is this crap?
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Please update your account

it means you should post pictures directly from your computer - since places like photobucket, or whatever it's called, can come back after you've posted your pics via them and suddenly make them disappear. In other words, your pics are hostage for posting until you pay the ransom of updating to 3rd party hosting - which, I assume, has a fee associated with it (someone else will have to confirm, I don't have an account with a photo place). It's crap, and it's why we have lost tons of old photos on this site than can't be recovered. many others have been bitten by this same gotcha.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #3
cr1hotrod

There's a Chrome add-on that will make 'em work. Do some googling and you'll find the answer.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutronjim View Post
Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.

What is this crap?

The message is actually for the person that posted the picture not for the person viewing it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Ekliptix

I suspect he's referring to this message:

In short:
  1. Photobucket use to be a free place to host photos and share them on forums. I've been doing it for 10+ years. People on thousands of other forums have been too.
  2. Last year, Photobucket decided they wanted to make more money so they went from being free to requiring annual $400 fee. If you pay the fee, your own photos will be visible when posting them on forums, like this. If you don't pay the annual fee, all your photobucket-hosted photos will appear as above on forums.
  3. I'm too cheap to pay photobucket and I feel like I'm being held hostage so that doesn't make me want to cooperate. I now use https://imgur.com/ to do my photo hosting for forums.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
I suspect he's referring to this message:
In short:
  1. Photobucket use to be a free place to host photos and share them on forums. I've been doing it for 10+ years. People on thousands of other forums have been too.
  2. Last year, Photobucket decided they wanted to make more money so they went from being free to requiring annual $400 fee. If you pay the fee, your own photos will be visible when posting them on forums, like this. If you don't pay the annual fee, all your photobucket-hosted photos will appear as above on forums.
  3. I'm too cheap to pay photobucket and I feel like I'm being held hostage so that doesn't make me want to cooperate. I now use https://imgur.com/ to do my photo hosting for forums.

There is no doubt in my mind that sooner or later all hosting sites will end up doing the same thing. That is why people should post all images directly to this site instead of using hosting sites and linking them. I have been posting pictures directly to the board since 2006 and they will be here as long as this site is still up..... If the board goes belly up it won't make any difference anyway.

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #7
Ekliptix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that sooner or later all hosting sites will end up doing the same thing. That is why people should post all images directly to this site instead of using hosting sites and linking them. I have been posting pictures directly to the board since 2006 and they will be here as long as this site is still up.....

Just my 2¢ worth.

LockDoc
I understand the benefit you've described of attaching photos here. For me, there are a couple forums I like to share my photos on, so one .jpg link save me time.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
zosoppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1hotrod View Post
There's a Chrome add-on that will make 'em work. Do some googling and you'll find the answer.
There is also one for Firefox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...t-fix/?src=api
Old 01-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Ekliptix

^^^ Thank you! That's amazing! Photobucket is useful for me again.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
^^^ Thank you! That's amazing! Photobucket is useful for me again.
I've been using the Chrome fix for a while now and it's been getting the job done for me. I still wouldn't host pics with photobucket though for two reasons. One, anyone who doesn't have the fix still can't see your pics (and what's the point of sharing if others can't see them), and two, I'm sure Photobucket is wise to this fix and is working their hardest to make it useless.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
Bomp

Yup, Pbucket had all my pics. Over 300,000 hits on my thread. Then one day pics gone. All that was left was my senseless ramblings of attempts at sheet metal repair, pics of Bomp and myself along with other assorted entertainment shots of someone trying to stretch a cab 5".
Sorry Pbucket bit you too,,,, I Started a new thread......
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote