The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
gcm

which should I get?

Hello all

Before someone else points out the very obvious ha ha ha that this is a chevy forum.....but I have seen you guys appreciate other good looking trucks. So I have a choice of getting one of two trucks to work on restoring with my son either a 59 chevy apache big window fleetside napco 4x4 halftone with in line 6 cylinder or a 58 Fargo d100 halftone with a 318 V8 big window stepside? They are both pretty rare but with do you think will be more valuable incase he wants to sell it one day?

I hope the Dodge/Fargo truck doesn't upset anyone have ha ha ha ha

Thanks all
gcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
iowaboynca

Re: which should I get?

Both.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
jaws61

Personally Id go with what truck he likes and wants because with a hobby and truck its rare to get your money back, if even break even.. I know from experience.. lol How much are you into keeping the truck original too because to me the $$$ trucks this day aren't the full original ones but one with new frames and engine that drive.. I"m 30 and i can say one thing i'm sure in hell not going to drive a hot rod thats got 100hp.. boring to me.. I'll take the LS with the turbo that is lowred and far from stock...

In regards to Valuable I'd think the dodge just because there is less of them out there, but saying that good luck trying to find parts. I"ve build a 67 dart and let me say they don't make parts like they do for my 56 chevy truck!! so building the dodge cost hell of a lot more...

I'd go through trucks with builds and designs and see what he likes... There is a tonne of awesome build here to show and there talent here is unreal! I'm shocked what some guys can do!!

I'd buy the big back window 59 chevy just because i love the style but That's my thoughts but i've also got a 56 small window that's m2 front and 4 link and LS to go in..
jaws61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
gcm

Um my son is 3 years old so he wants both but I can't afford both I have too many projects on the side lol
Old 10-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
gcm

From what I know a 4x4 59 chevy is prearranged dam rare but not sure how rare a Fargo 318 big window stepside side is
Old 10-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
_Ogre

you can buy any part for the 59 chevy, nothing rare here, 100s here on this forum
for the 58 fargo no parts are available, nada, zip, zero
if the fargo is complete and totally rust free, that is a rare truck, if not refer to line #2

which one would you rather work on?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #7
gcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
you can buy any part for the 59 chevy, nothing rare here, 100s here on this forum
for the 58 fargo no parts are available, nada, zip, zero
if the fargo is complete and totally rust free, that is a rare truck, if not refer to line #2

which one would you rather work on?
Right totally agree but a napco 4x4 59 is quite rare however the parts are interchangeable with any other 59 truck.......but when you look up value of an original napco truck with the figures I listed it's quite an expensive truck but the Fargo is like 1/5 that fully restored. That Fargo is complete and rust free like has some surface rust but zero holes
Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #8
TheCougarine

Thats tough, those Fargo's are good looking trucks and if it was the swept side and totally complete I'd have a hard time not picking it up, even if I had to drop another drivetrain in to get power out of it, the Chevy will be much easier to deal with overall and is probably the smarter choice money wise.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
mr48chev

Well if you want a return on you money are are worried about a return on it you may as well forget old trucks and put the money in a good CD.

I pretty much got out of the hobby altogether because of the constant "what's it worth" question from mouthbreathers ranging from age 10 to 80. Not interested the least in what I had done to it just what the resale value was as if that was all that counted.

Either of those trucks would be a nice restored to as "originally sold" truck that should always have a reasonable market for it.. Start changing or modifying and you loose what might make it valuable real quick. Any long time guys on here will tell you that I am the further-est from a restorer that there is on the board in that I change or modify everything but there are trucks that should be left alone and their originality as they left the factory or in this case their originality from when they left the conversion shop is what makes them special and changing the truck around, modifying it or swapping engines kills that special vibe of the truck. That all original special vibe of the truck may kill the fun for a young guy who actually wants to get out and drive the truck and use it though. He might be happier with what started out as a rather plain truck that ends up with a 350/350 swap, suspension upgrade and a killer sound system and great set of pipes that he can have fun in without worrying that dad will have a fit and fall in it if something happens to the "investment". A few years ago my best friend built a really nice 69 Camaro for his then high school age daughter, The car didn't have that much money in it the time but would probably be a 25K car today. Basically a very well done 69 Z28 clone with a 350 in it and one super nice black paint job with black vinyl top and black interior. He was in a panic every time she got in it being afraid she would damage it an one night she rear ended another car while cruising the ave. He repaired the car and immediately sold it because he was so afraid of the investment being damaged. If you do a 4x4 and the son and his buddys take it out in the mud doing a bit of wheeling can you deal with it?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #10
gcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Well if you want a return on you money are are worried about a return on it you may as well forget old trucks and put the money in a good CD.

I pretty much got out of the hobby altogether because of the constant "what's it worth" question from mouthbreathers ranging from age 10 to 80. Not interested the least in what I had done to it just what the resale value was as if that was all that counted.

Either of those trucks would be a nice restored to as "originally sold" truck that should always have a reasonable market for it.. Start changing or modifying and you loose what might make it valuable real quick. Any long time guys on here will tell you that I am the further-est from a restorer that there is on the board in that I change or modify everything but there are trucks that should be left alone and their originality as they left the factory or in this case their originality from when they left the conversion shop is what makes them special and changing the truck around, modifying it or swapping engines kills that special vibe of the truck. That all original special vibe of the truck may kill the fun for a young guy who actually wants to get out and drive the truck and use it though. He might be happier with what started out as a rather plain truck that ends up with a 350/350 swap, suspension upgrade and a killer sound system and great set of pipes that he can have fun in without worrying that dad will have a fit and fall in it if something happens to the "investment". A few years ago my best friend built a really nice 69 Camaro for his then high school age daughter, The car didn't have that much money in it the time but would probably be a 25K car today. Basically a very well done 69 Z28 clone with a 350 in it and one super nice black paint job with black vinyl top and black interior. He was in a panic every time she got in it being afraid she would damage it an one night she rear ended another car while cruising the ave. He repaired the car and immediately sold it because he was so afraid of the investment being damaged. If you do a 4x4 and the son and his buddys take it out in the mud doing a bit of wheeling can you deal with it?
Nope I would go Red Forman on his ass and lose my mind ha ha ha. So maybe I'll build this one for me and wit and see what he wants. Because my dad thinks I'm nuts to care about old crapy trucks and cars as he puts it. He rather drive a beware car or van with full warranty and me and my wife rather drive an old classic and hot rod or restore it. So do you think the fargo or the chevy? I love the napco trucks ..... but the Fargo is so ugly it's cool ha ha ha
Old 10-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
gcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCougarine View Post
Thats tough, those Fargo's are good looking trucks and if it was the swept side and totally complete I'd have a hard time not picking it up, even if I had to drop another drivetrain in to get power out of it, the Chevy will be much easier to deal with overall and is probably the smarter choice money wise.
Ya the fargo is a step side the chevy is the fleetside which I love the Chev actually says fleetside love that part on these trucks