The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
bowt1ed

TF Ididit

Hey TF guys, did you use the Ididit "Retro Fit" or "Universal" column in your build. I'm planning on a floor shift, column ignition, probably 30" tilt. Just not sure what the differences might be, other than using a drop mount.

Thanks, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: TF Ididit

The retro fit is specific to the year or series and includes the proper mountings. The universal is just that and you fab or buy mountings to work with your installation. It also depends on if your using the stock box or a rack or GM SP box conversion as to what install kit you get
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
roger55

I used the retrofit column shift version in my '57 with the CPP 400 steering box. I also used the original steering wheel.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
bowt1ed

Thanks guys!

Roger, I recall you had issues with that drop mount because of the CPP bracket. What was the issue and fix? I have decided to go with CPP's setup as well as Ididit. Just can't tell any difference between the Retro Fit and Universal, other than including the mount.
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
Thanks guys!

Roger, I recall you had issues with that drop mount because of the CPP bracket. What was the issue and fix? I have decided to go with CPP's setup as well as Ididit. Just can't tell any difference between the Retro Fit and Universal, other than including the mount.
Yes. It was with the CPP pedal assembly bracket that comes with their firewall mounted master cylinder kit.

It first I intended to not use the Ididit drop mount and modify the original mount. That ended up posing problems too so I opted to use the Ididit drop mount and modify the CPP pedal assembly bracket. It was really pretty easy once I figured out what I was going to do but does require having a welder.

I made a few other modifications to the CPP pedal assembly bracket too for other issues. Everything I did worked perfect. I think CPP could do better with this design but I'm so happy with it now I'd do it exactly the same way again. It would be a lot easier now though because I wouldn't have to figure it all out again.

See posts #242, 279 and 416 in my build thread for the details with photos.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
roger55

One more comment for anybody getting the retrofit tilt kit from Ididit and is going for the CPP 400 steering box.
This steering box sets the column down towards the firewall more than Ididit designed the length for. Works perfectly with the stock 57 to 59 steering wheel but does not work with the 55-56 steering.
If using an aftermarket wheel, an extension might be needed to bring it out away from the dash some. See post #402

Not sure if the issue is still there with the floor shift version but it's can be with the column shift model column I have. The column shift version also doesn't work well for gear shifter / key switch clearance either if using the 400 box. I moved my key switch location to solve this issue. See post #402 and 433.

Last edited by roger55; 08-19-2015 at 02:16 PM.