The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
superfragl

Moving steering column

Hi all, I am new here. I recently bought a 53 GMC 1/2 ton that was disassembled by previous owner.
I installed IFS with rack and pinion steering, 94 LT1 engine and 4l60E transmission.
I have a flaming river steering column that I am going to use. If I mount it in stock location the steering shaft exits right where exhaust manifold is. All I need is to move the column 3/4" to the left - that way it will not interfere with exhaust and will be centered between the gauges. What do you think? Will the steering wheel sit too close to the door? I want to use original steering wheel.
superfragl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Dave0

Re: Moving steering column

Here is my set up with the column centered in the dash and existing hole. This is a 5.3 with Camaro 6.2 manifold on it, the hug the block more... Are you sure the engine isnt sitting too far to the left? Or your manifolds are too wide? (I had 5.3 truck manifolds on it and they were too wide) Pics might help...
Attached Images

Dave0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
superfragl

I guess, 5.7 engine is a bit wider than 5.3.
Here`s what it looks like with steering column moved about 3/4" to the left. The engine is centered between the frame (see how the manifolds clear the frame).
Name:  DSCN8139.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  44.4 KB
Name:  DSCN8144.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  39.7 KB
Name:  DSCN8145.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  53.0 KB
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
mr48chev

It takes some changing around to have it look right under the dash but 3/4 inch might not be that bad.

On the wheel thing you will probably be running a smaller wheel than stock anyhow so it shouldn't be that bad. I had my stock column offset that way with the V8 install years ago and outside of scooting clooser to the door to center yourself on the wheel it wasn't that bad.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
superfragl

I will be using original steering wheel. I installed the wheel last night and installed the door - to make sure the setup feels comfortable. Did not even notice 3/4 offset. Feels fine. In the end, if there is a problem, I can always go smaller steering wheel. I like the original one though.
On the side note - while installing the door I have found that previous owner changed the cowl panels (inner/outer) but did not retain the lower hinge internal bracket and bolted the hinge to pillar sheet metal... Now I am looking for those brackets for both sides. Does anyone have spare ones??