The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #26
Dan in Pasadena

Re: How should I fill firewall holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-mac View Post
Looks like the pro version of what dsraven suggested above. Except with his approach you can make it large enough to reach almost anywhere. This tool looks like the max reach is about 5-6"?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #27
Donaldo

I don't usually use the 'F'ord word, but Bob Drake in Oregon offers a graduated set of filler plugs. I cut my own, mig welded and ground flush.

http://www.donsbirds.com/pick-up

Last edited by Donaldo; 10-07-2017 at 01:31 AM. Reason: clarification
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #28
gigamanx

I'm going to go nosey around HF and Lowes and see if I can't find a combination of bits that can make one of these. The tool is sweet, the price not so much.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #29
b-mac

My original copper backing was a piece of pipe smashed flat at one end. But as someone mentioned, it get's hot quick, and you need a second hand for that or a spoon. Whatever you design, keep the magnet away from the weld. Heat will cause it to lose magnetism.
b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:21 AM   #30
bennylava

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
the rest of the story. cut it out so it will fit over the envoy donor

Do you have a build thread on the truck? I'd like to see how far along it is.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #31
dsraven

sorry bennylava, no build thread. I tried a couple times and it said I have a thread started but I can't ever seem to find it again. the project has taken so many turns it would prolly crash the server anyway if I started a thread now and added all the stuff from start to where it is now, haha.
the good thing is I have a fully boxed frame with a MII out front and ford 8.8 with 4 link in rear with air ride set up and LS 4.8 4l60 sitting between the rails. it is sitting in my daughters garage while my old 57 gmc body sits on an 04 envoy frame presently. not done by a long shot, but sitting on the frame at least.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #32
bennylava

Quote:
sorry bennylava, no build thread. I tried a couple times and it said I have a thread started but I can't ever seem to find it again. the project has taken so many turns it would prolly crash the server anyway if I started a thread now and added all the stuff from start to where it is now, haha.
the good thing is I have a fully boxed frame with a MII out front and ford 8.8 with 4 link in rear with air ride set up and LS 4.8 4l60 sitting between the rails. it is sitting in my daughters garage while my old 57 gmc body sits on an 04 envoy frame presently. not done by a long shot, but sitting on the frame at least.
Is it further along than the pics you posted? If you don't mind, I'd like to see at least how far it is now.

I'm especially interested in the extended cab modification. How did you figure out exactly how much to add to the back of the cab? Enough to have some utility, but without looking goofy. Just figuring out that one detail seems like a huge challenge to me.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #33
dsraven

I added 16" because I thought it looked good with that. I have seen a couple of different trucks with less or more and didn't like them. I needed enough room behind the seat for a high back bucket with the seat belts integrated so the seat wouldn't hit the back window and I also didn't want to add too much and look like it needed a door handle. these styles of seats don't usually tip ahead for access to the back area so it is not an area for passengers, just for stuff you need inside but don't need access to very often plus maybe some room for your jacket and all the wife's stuff. the purse, the extra purse, a bag full of crap, 18 pairs of shoes and a couple different types of jackets, coats, water bottles, you know. I originally planned to house the computer and electrical center back there with a place for the air compressor and tank possibly under a sound insulated tray. since then I have gone with the envoy frame and no air ride so there will be less stuff back there.there is another guy on here that is also doing an extended cab but is adding material to the door instead. that is also a tough one because the door tapers front to rear. he is using 2 cabs to get the roof line. not sure what he is doing for the doors. he hasn't posted for awhile.
I haven't had time to look at the truck for a few weeks so it is unchanged. I have a bunch of other projects piled up around it waiting their turn. it is snowing here and time to winterize everything. soon I hope to get back at it. this is the latest pic I have.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #34
MARTINSR

I do think those are good proportions for sure.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #35
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Yep, those Roper Whitney punches are awesome. I used mine all the time to punch holes on new metal for plug welding or spot welding. I don't think I've ever seen another body tech with one in their box. You can also make your own "backing plates" and use clecos for a nice tight no gap butt joint.

If it were me, I would make my own plugs or buy some drops from a local machine/welding shop, fit them up for a nice butt weld and weld them up. I just prefer to do a repair that is invisible from both sides.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #36
bennylava

Quote:
...and all the wife's stuff. The purse, the extra purse, a bag full of crap, 18 pairs of shoes and a couple different types of jackets, coats, water bottles, you know.

...And they don't like it when you question it. Or try to reduce it.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #37
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
...And they don't like it when you question it. Or try to reduce it.
Haha, water bottles. We use refillable ones. I have 6 in my daily driver. Whenever I hear "why aren't there water bottles in the kitchen" I just walk out to my car and clean it out. Life with kids.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #38
dsraven

thats too funny. my wife takes a water bottle to go to the corner store. it comes back untouched but if, by chance, there was like, say, a shoe or purse sale or some other weird reason for a delay coming back she would have been covered. haha.
she has those refillable ones too.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #39
b-mac

Not to highjack this thread away from wife talk, but I took a picture this weekend that I thought appropriate.

The guys above pointed out my high-dollar tool.

I thought I should show all the things I used before I bought that. Note the lone one, for particularly hard to reach, spots.

With my $35 Eastwood tool, I'm back to welding with two hands.
Attached Images

b-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #40
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Yep, those Roper Whitney punches are awesome. I used mine all the time to punch holes on new metal for plug welding or spot welding. I don't think I've ever seen another body tech with one in their box. You can also make your own "backing plates" and use clecos for a nice tight no gap butt joint.

If it were me, I would make my own plugs or buy some drops from a local machine/welding shop, fit them up for a nice butt weld and weld them up. I just prefer to do a repair that is invisible from both sides.
You haven't personally seen my tool box but you have now met a tech with one, and only only one but two. I got the XX many years ago and was rocking and rolling with it and then at an estate sale I found an Jr for something crazy like $5 and got it. It's a real vintage one in a metal case, I love using it thinking about the old guy who once owned it. I got a number of nice tools from that estate sale including some knock out plugs, those are very useful too.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:27 AM   #41
Bigt94550

Not to hijack but it is on topic...there are 2 welded nuts on the drivers side firewall that hold the emergency brake bracket. Your pics ( Dan and Bowtie) have them gone. Did you weld a nut on the interior firewall or forgo the nut entirely?
Troy
Bigt94550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #42
Scott2

I used the Bob Drake solution:

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=HR-1580

Not cheap but I used my time saved from making them to fill in the holes. Just drill the holes to match a plug, use a magnet like the Eastwood already mentioned to hold it, and weld away.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:10 AM   #43
bennylava

Back to firewall holes, I think that the 100% flat firewall does look nice.

But I also like the alternative of just a filled firewall, that leaves the large factory indentions. I can see where some people would want the indentions and wouldn't want a totally flat firewall. The flat firewall might look a bit too bare and minimalist. The indentions would looks a lot less modified and closer to stock. And gives a bit of decoration instead of being completely bare. Its a bit of a toss up, either way looks just as good imo.

So I'd probably have to go with whichever one turned out to be less work.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #44
my56chevytruck

dsraven,
that's some amazingly good body work, fantastic job
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #45
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2 View Post
I used the Bob Drake solution:

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=HR-1580

Not cheap but I used my time saved from making them to fill in the holes. Just drill the holes to match a plug, use a magnet like the Eastwood already mentioned to hold it, and weld away.
Crap, I wish i had known of the Bob Drake kit way back. I put in a new firewall entirely.
Morrie
Attached Images

Last edited by my56chevytruck; 10-15-2017 at 11:00 AM.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #46
Warrens69GMC

Some good info here!!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #47
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigt94550 View Post
Not to hijack but it is on topic...there are 2 welded nuts on the drivers side firewall that hold the emergency brake bracket. Your pics ( Dan and Bowtie) have them gone. Did you weld a nut on the interior firewall or forgo the nut entirely?
Troy
Yes, ground them off and welded studs on the interior side.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #48
dsraven

I have seen some guys using a steel nail with a large enough head to fill the hole. that way they have something to hang onto while welding, for positioning, and zip the nail part off when done.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #49
e015475

Here's a firewall with the main part cut our and a replacement fab'ed using a bead roller to put 'factory like' features back in it and to better clearance the engine.

The time to modify the firewall with a new panel would have been about the same as filling all the holes of the factory firewall and modifying it to clear the V8. Here it is at the fabrication stage before it was welded in-

The remaining holes in the firewall were filled using gas and bailing wire. Bailing wire is very low carbon and is still very ductile after welding so any shrinkage from the weld is easily stretched back out with some hammer-on dolly work. It also grinds very easily. These filler plugs are non-structural so I don't have any problems using a non-standard filler rod.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #50
Fiftee3

Ok, been watching this thread a while. Great ideas and fixes to all. Awesome bodywork to all. Here's my fix. 2x4 aluminum sheet from Summit.
2 hours work. Cover all the holes and any unsightly wiring!!!
Hey, my welding skills are on heavy metal only! Ha ha and I suck at bodywork!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  49.7 KB

My 53 IFS air bagged Upgrade Here

One of my threads for this build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12#post7662512
Fiftee3 is offline   Reply With Quote