The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2016, 04:04 AM   #1
WOLFMANmike

65 c10 rear axle

ok so i know we have a drive train section on here and just so you know i did post in it this but i got no answers . so now im asking here ..

so i bought this new to me 65 c10 12 bolt rear end the guy says that he has built many of them for other shops here in my neck of the woods . i called those shops and they all had good things to say . so i bought it far a sweet deal $ 600 . its a 3.73 gearing ... here is what he did completely took it apart checked all parts for damage including excessive heat replaced all seals and bearings and new crush sleeve . he said gear set looked great no bad or off pattern wearing so the gear set was not replaced . but was re set all over again and re checked for proper wear on all gears ring and pinion and spiders ... so that is the history for you now on this new axle ... but what i want to know and forgot to ask him is . is there a break in process for me to fallow ? kinda like breaking in a engine ? or do i not have one because my gear set is used ? and also because shes my daily driver and i dont use her to tow . is there a different break in for just a driver vs a towing machine ? obviously because its only a $ 600 axle and not a $ 1200 in a shop axle i dont get some great warranty . so i wanna make sure that if i am needing to do anything that i do it so i can ensure a long lasting rear end ... thanks for all your help in advance .... Happy Truckin
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: 65 c10 rear axle

gear set is already broke in so you are just breaking in the bearing set really. drive it like usual and change the oil after a couple hundred miles. that way you get rid of a bunch of suspended particles from breaking in the new bearings PLUS any crap that escaped the housing clean up. pull the cover and drain/clean it, not just a suction gun through the filler.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:54 AM   #3
WOLFMANmike

Re: 65 c10 rear axle

Got it thanks for all your help
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote