The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 AM   #501
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I got out there for my five minutes, ground the welds down on the patch panel and now I can move onto the next one.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 AM   #502
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got out there for my five minutes, ground the welds down on the patch panel and now I can move onto the next one.

Brian
Old 10-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #503
evilokc

holley tech also told me that I should move my accelerator pump cam around a bit and see if that helps as well. I did that this morning and it squirting a lot more. might even be enough? I haven't driven it but its something.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:21 AM   #504
MARTINSR

I got out there, mapped off the section to remove on the door and cut the new piece rough and rolled it a bit in the English wheel to give it some shape.

It's on it's way.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #505
crossfire84

awesome
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #506
Black_Sheep

Applied some Fatmat Rattle Trap on my floor extensions and the passenger side half of the firewall. I'll have to pull the fuse block out of the way to do a decent job on the other side, the throttle cable hole also needs to be drilled out.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #507
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got out there, mapped off the section to remove on the door and cut the new piece rough and rolled it a bit in the English wheel to give it some shape.

It's on it's way.

Brian
I'm glad your getting your 5 minutes in. it helps me get my minutes in too.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #508
MARTINSR

It's pretty amazing how when we see something getting done across the country in some garage it fires us up.

This "five minutes a day" is amazing, something is getting done! And I can't tell you how I don't have the drive I use to, I am 58, I worked all day today, I am still weathering some kind of cold or something coughing, I don't want to be out side, I am just not where I once was with this stuff. The passion has dropped quite a bit from years ago when I would work until midnight for months before a show to get my project done. This five minutes a day would take a long time to get this truck done, but it would be done a hell of a lot faster if I didn't touch it at all! And some days my 5 minutes does turn into an hour or two.

Today, I got the bottom of the door cut off and the patch set into place. I had to find a way to push the skin down so I ran a piece of tubing across the door, wham done! WHOOO HOOO! I didn't know how I was going to do this.

When I reshaped the bottom of the door shortening the shell when I sectioned it I just couldn't bring the roll up on that skin, I just couldn't do it! So clamping it in place is how I pulled it off. Now doing this patch I had a whole different problem because the bottom was cut off. But this piece of tubing took care of it, right on.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #509
vintovka

Mine is 95% complete. After 58 years of bearing California plates and registration i finally got mine registered in Oregon. My automotive ties with that god forsaken state are finally completely severed. Poor thing was built in LA (Nov 1953) and spent at least half of its military career there. All have to do now is formally and legally report that its no longer in the state. Failure to do so allows the CA DMV Gestapo to put a lien on you for failure to renew registration there. (yes, they happily do that now so heads up). OREGON dmv accepted my old faded original 1969 title without question and struggled to read the faded/scratched up vin plate in the fog, mist, rain (and way up on the trailer). They even got a kick out of my book with registrations from 1964 to date in it. Thole deal (with USAF Veterans Plates) was under $200 for 2 years. FWIW New higher CA fees, Fuel taxes and other new laws kick in 10 days from now.
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:18 PM   #510
evilokc

been trying to tune a couple of performance issues out of my carburetor. a few days back I set my mixture with a vacuum gauge. when I started it was at 14hg and when I was done it was at 20hg. I was thrilled. I set the idle with n optical tach. it was running smooth and happy. today I drove it to the store and nothing felt right. the idle felt weak and it didn't feel like it was making its normal power. when I got home I got out the tach and vacuum gauge again just to check. the vacuum was back down to 14hg and the idle was way down as well. I adjusted the ide and the mixture until I got the vacuum back up but the vacuum gauge still bounced around a little. I sprayed a little brake clean around the carb base and rpm jumped a little. so looks like I have a vacuum leak. i tightened the base bolts that were a little loose and if that doesn't help then I guess new gaskets are coming this weekend. I also have a leak in my power brake check valve which may be contributing. I'm also ordering a new squirter. I'm just not getting any squirt at very light throttle. so many tiny issues. should be able to knock them all out n a couple of hours.

Last edited by evilokc; 10-19-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #511
MARTINSR

Got out there and sand blasted the bottom of the door and applied some weld through primer to the patch and where it will be welded.

Brian

Old 10-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #512
gmoney38

Finished removing front sheet metal and engine/granny. Now putting a game plan together, on how to reconfigure my Camaro frame screw up. I bought it this way, and am reconstructing attachment to chassis.
gmoney38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #513
evilokc

okay I got my vacuum leaks corrected but its caused another problem. first I want to say it fixed a problem too. the truck drives really well. stumble is gone and driving is very pleasant. however I discovered my fuel pressure is too high. quick fuel claims 6.5psi is perfect and anything over7.5psi will cause flooding. my pressure is running 8.5psi and its flooding. so I'm adding that to the list of what's being done this week. it was a great drive though. finally felt like I had my truck back..ya know until it flooded. also the insurance appraisal guy came out this morning to assess the damage from that lady backing into me. he said I will et a call in a day or so with the results.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #514
bennylava

87 Silverado: (Saturday)

Put new brake pedal rubber on.

Changed out door locks on both sides.

Replaced dead power door lock on driver's side.

Replaced dead power window regulator and motor on passenger side.

Installed rebuilt altnernator.

Installed new battery.

Replaced fuel lines running to the TBI unit.

Next weekend:

Replace switch key.

Replace passenger side fuel pump.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #515
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
okay I got my vacuum leaks corrected but its caused another problem. first I want to say it fixed a problem too. the truck drives really well. stumble is gone and driving is very pleasant. however I discovered my fuel pressure is too high. quick fuel claims 6.5psi is perfect and anything over7.5psi will cause flooding. my pressure is running 8.5psi and its flooding. so I'm adding that to the list of what's being done this week. it was a great drive though. finally felt like I had my truck back..ya know until it flooded. also the insurance appraisal guy came out this morning to assess the damage from that lady backing into me. he said I will et a call in a day or so with the results.
Insurance guy coming by in a few days. Here's hoping.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #516
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Insurance guy coming by in a few days. Here's hoping.

they offered an insultingly low settlement. I told them there is no way that will fox it. they said to take it to a shop and if its more they will cover it. that's what I'm going to do. what happened to your truck?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #517
vintovka

Low first offers are SOP. They make many necks and backs hurt all of sudden. I have always found the most expensive high end repair shop and gone with them. The issue of shops using water based paints may be of interest to you.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #518
handyhands

I started on the exhaust last week(5.3 duel exhaust with glass packs 2.5") first time for me. It as been fun on off on off. My welds are still ugly but getting better. No one will see these but me. I thought I had been getting a lot done lately so I pulled down my list to mark off some things. But I couldn't. Forgot I marked them when I bought the parts.
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:01 AM   #519
Black_Sheep

This weekend’s garage goal is to set the cab back on the frame. There were several small jobs completed in preparation. The brake system was filled with DOT 5 brake fluid and bled. I also made a set of battery cables with 1 gauge fine strand copper cable, crimped copper lugs and mil-spec terminal ends. The cables are covered with a protective spiral wrap So they should be darn near bulletproof. Both of these tasks were far easier to perform before the cab goes back on.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #520
Black_Sheep

Got the cab set back on the frame and finished putting on the Fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener...
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #521
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Got the cab set back on the frame and finished putting on the Fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener...
what was your opinion on the quality of that product? wasit as expensive as dynamat?
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 PM   #522
evilokc

this weekend was pretty good truck wise. not great but its in these early stages that we work out all the gremlins that allow us thousands of trouble free miles. put in a pressure regulator to solve my flooding problem and run some new hard line for that. that went about as you would expect. I did what I could to have all of my parts and supplies on hand and of course it didn't work that way. had to go to the store 3 times. this morning I tested for leaks and tightened up a couple of things. I set the fuel pressure where ot should be for a holley and took a drive. the truck was responsive and seemed pretty happy running through the neighborhood. I stopped at a stop sign and jumped out to look at my floats and fuel pressure. the truck died. I looked and the front float looked empty. tried to start it and it dragged. pulled the air cleaner off and fuel was dripping out of the front bowl into the carb. I opened the blades a little to relieve the pressure. the. front bowl wasn't too low it was so full that I couldn't see the line. I was only a few blocks from home and though I could start it back and get it home. I started it and pushed the gas pedal and it popped and went tot the floor. I knew right away my throttle cable was the issue. I looked and it had come out of the bracket. when it broke the end frayed and I wasn't able to get it back in that tiny hole. i thought i would start it and it could idle home. i started it and put in it reverse and only got about 50 ft before it flooded again. i didn't want to chance it catching fire so i walked the few blocks home to get some tools for a roadside fix. i got back and drained the front bowl and lowered the fuel level. i then turned my attention to the throttle cable. i wasn't able to get the frayed end twisted small enough to fit into the bracket again. i had no choice but to snip the end off. i got it back in and all was right with the world. took it back home and let it run while i checked the fuel level and fuel pressure. i noticed the idle was pretty high. i pulled out my tach light and it was idling at 1435rpm. that didn't make sense to me. i tried to lower the idle with the idle screw and it had no affect. the idle didn't lower. that's when i noticed how tight the throttle cable was. i used the adjuster to loosen it as much as i could but there wasn't enough adjustment to get the idle back. i removed the throttle cable and the idle dropped right away. i had to screw with the idle screw again to get my idle back but it came right back and was happy to idle. it looks like the frayed end i cut off made the throttle cable a fraction of an inch too short. my fault for not leaving enough in the adjuster when i installed it but honestly i assumed it would stretch but not that it would get shorter. when i bought the cable i started to buy a holley cable but they are like $50. i found this Chinese knock off for $15. i wasn't happy with it right away. the "braided" cable was a plastic tube with something to look like braid on the outside. it was really rough too. i oiled it up really well and that helped. now that i need another one I'm going to order a real one. I'm close on this guys. starts well, idles well, fuel pressure is right,felt like it was driving well. the stumble was about gone. peels out well. i need to make a couple of adjustments on the floats to get them right. progress is not going as fast as i would like but it is going.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #523
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
what was your opinion on the quality of that product? wasit as expensive as dynamat?
I have used Fatmat products before with great success. For a 25 square foot kit I paid $60 shipped. When comparing cost per square foot the Fatmat is about half the price of comparable Dynamat products. I used 2 kits to cover the floor, firewall and trans cover with a double layer on the upper firewall and trans cover. Based on previous experience, it is very effective in reducing road noise, resonance, etc... and to a lesser degree it also reduces heat. In my opinion the benefit is well worth the expense and the effort...
Old 10-30-2017, 10:53 PM   #524
mud.man.rj

That firewall is sooo smooth, beauty man.
Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #525
MARTINSR

I didn't have a drain to clean so I got out in the garage and tacked the patch panel in place. WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian
Attached Images