The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #1
FAKKY

Hydroboost

So ..... was at the yard the other day looking for a hydroboost from a ~2001 chevy 1500 ..... couldn't find one.
I ended up pulling a 93 Astro hydroboost and pulled a steering column support from a 88 S10 blazer. They do fit in terms of bolt pattern ...... have a few things to sort out/look at.

Does anyone have a link of what they did or have seen done for following items.

#1) How to bench test if hydroboost is ok ? Possible ?

#2) will need to see how the brake/steeringcolumn bracket from the S10 will/can fit in the truck. Only reference I can see is this .... http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1101c...brake-install/ which has a few pics. basically remove the old column support ...... and see if the new on will fit ....... may have to trim .... not sure where it needs to be bolted however - except for the 4 bolts on the firewall and then the 2 on the underside of dash near column support. Anything else ?

#3) The article they use a sheet metal spacer .... I assume this is to just provide a flush mounting surface on the engine side ..... doesn't have any other purpose ?
eg
https://www.performanceonline.com/images/D/BBF5559.jpg

#4) Anything else ? Any links to builds who have done something similar

thanks
Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Hydroboost

I've never bench tested a hydroboost and actually don't know how. I'd imagine that it takes a test bench with hookups that you can hook the unit to though.

I've been going to do the same thing you did in that I plan to get one off an Astrovan. I intend to find one that doesn't show any leaks on a rig that doesn't look like it has been sitting in the yard that long. One pick it yourself yard I go to usually has several to choose from so that shouldn't be hard.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #3
FAKKY

Yeah. Problem was all the astros (around 8 of them) across the two yards I went to had the hydroboost picked over except this one. It had a bunch of oil on it but couldn't tell source of oil ..... or how long it had sat in yard.

So I grabbed it for $40 .......... just to see if it could work ........ but wasnt really sure how to tell without having it in the truck ..... and then of course has to have engine and everything else in play to really tell no leaks etc.

Then also not too sure how to know if the yolk has enough travel relative to the bracket for the brake assembly. I grabbed the S10 column support as someone mentioned they might fit .... and it looks ok ...... but unsure ... need to take some measurements of bracket sizes and compare .....

Long story short ...... have to start to get this hooked up .... but feel better knowing it should work rather than bolt it all together and hope or find out it wont .... and tear it all off.

etc
Old 07-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
01spirit750

I am not an expert but I am running a hydroboost system in my 57'.
For the master cylinder I did the bench bleed as you normally would.
For the hydroboost unit itself I did not do any "bench bleed" I just hooked it up and filled the power steering reservoir. You need to be watching the reservoir to add fluid quickly.

Be very careful on your first test drive. These hydroboost system stop your truck quicker than expected.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
FAKKY

Hey 01spirit750.
What hydroboost setup did you run ... firewall or frame ?

How do you determine yolk length in relation to pedal position ....... meaning ..... if you bolt it all up - is it possible the yolk length is too short and your pedal will hit the floor of the truck before you have fully applied the brakes ....... etc
Old 07-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
FAKKY

Well.
Got home an measured distance from firewall to column/dash support holes to around 10.5".
The bracket I pulled off the S10 is around 16" on top side. So at best it would need to be cut back ........ might have been a waste of $30.

Anyone used a universal bracket ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firewall-Swi...-/272290070360
Posted via Mobile Device
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
01spirit750

I am using a Astro van setup. It is mounted under the floor board in the stock location. I had previously been running a small diameter vacuum booster and due to my radical cam and low vacuum I essential had no power brakes.

I found a rebuilt hyrdroboost online (I forget where, maybe rockauto or Kragens).
So I replaced my vacuum booster with the hydrobooster.

The only change I made was to the brake pedal. It was to high up off the floor of the cab and I had to lift my foot to much so I cut the pad off and shortended the rod and then rewelded the pad to it.

I really like the braking now. It might be a tad too sensitive.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #8
iowaboynca

Skymangs shows how he uses S10 brackets in the S10 frame swap section. See below.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=45
Old 07-06-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
Skymangs shows how he uses S10 brackets in the S10 frame swap section. See below.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...2&postcount=45
Thanks. From the measurements it looks like you have to cut about 1/3rd of the bracket off ..... and then weld some mounting tabs. This means you loose part of the side bracing as well as the brake light mounting tabs.
I'll probably measure and cut and see what it looks like ...... but probably should have just gone with the universal mount and then just simply added a couple extensions to brace into the dash column support.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #10
iowaboynca

No. You just need to cut off the front "hump" of the bracket to where it will fit under the dash. The tabs are still part of the bracket. At least that's what i'm trying to do I can try take a pic of my bracket, its not fully in yet but it looks a lot like Skymangs, so not sure if it will help
Old 07-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
tmoble

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Hydrob...xSavxU&vxp=mtr

the key on HB unit fits in that little slot, then you tighten up the big nut by whatever means necessary. They sell a special tool for it but I found a way to use "other tools'.

All the keyway does is keep the HB unit from turning as you tighten the nut.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #12
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
No. You just need to cut off the front "hump" of the bracket to where it will fit under the dash. The tabs are still part of the bracket. At least that's what i'm trying to do I can try take a pic of my bracket, its not fully in yet but it looks a lot like Skymangs, so not sure if it will help
Thanks.
I'll give it a measure and cut this weekend and see if it fits in ok and can be secured easy enough.

Taking existing bracket out ok ? Spot welded somewhere on top I think right ? Regular drill bit or properspot weld bit ?

I'll clean up my hydroboost ... Clock it and put it in for now.... At least I I find it has a leak later should be able to find a replacement
Will post pics on weekend
Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #13
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Hydrob...xSavxU&vxp=mtr

the key on HB unit fits in that little slot, then you tighten up the big nut by whatever means necessary. They sell a special tool for it but I found a way to use "other tools'.

All the keyway does is keep the HB unit from turning as you tighten the nut.
I assume that's if your using a an aftermarket firewall mount that doesn't have keyway built in. Ill have to check that too.

Anyone know if the front firewall side if anyone makes a mounting plate to keep flush with firewall due to "rib". I think CPP send one with their kit ...... But not sure if you can get one I individually
Old 07-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
tmoble

how deep is the rib?
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #15
FAKKY

Sorry guys took a couple weeks off with family and just other stuff.

Drilling out the spot welds on factory column support.
Looks like 6? Three each side on upper ?

Is there anything at the front .... I have the column out and the column bracket .. but it still feels fairly tight in there at front. Might be just that I only have 3 of the 6 spot welds done. One side.

Last edited by FAKKY; 07-17-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #16
FAKKY

Well got the six out and with some prying got the top supports off. Ended up drilling through in 3 of the 6 ...oh well.

Turns out it was held in front by two sleeves .... And maybe another single spot weld ?
When I removed the bolts ... The bolt sleeves stayed in that prevented movement in the support.

So close but not out.

Looks like either I may need to cut it out in 2 pieces .... Or remove the dash cluster ...what's the norm ?

Is there a single spot weld at front right between the the column support bolts ?

Thx
Old 07-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #17
FAKKY

Answering my own question here

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1101c...t_weld_removal
Old 10-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #18
FAKKY

So ***update***

Haven't done much on truck due to hurricanes and new job starting.

Bought the 5559fmb kit from CPP. It's a good kit.

Some questions though.

Pushrod looks too long with the clevite/threaded adapter attached. Removing it gets it closer but might still push the brake pedal too far back at rest.

Won't know 100% till I put it on.... But can I add some spacers or a spacer bracket on the firewall side to shorten it on the brake pedal side and adjust better ... Say a 1/4 plate with drilled holes *shrug*

The instructions say to cut a 1 1/8" hole for the boost but obviously kit is made for a vacuum boost .... Looks to me like I should drill 1 3/4" or even 2" to allow the full neck of the pushrod mount to pass through firewall ... Look right ?
Old 10-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
FAKKY

Hydro https://imgur.com/gallery/0C0HH

1st Pic shows the pushrod tail housing at around 1.6-1.7" -- makes me think need a 1 3/4 to 2" hole on firewall.

2nd pic shows removed the silver threaded clevite rod (shown in 3rd pic). This gets a better length/throw ...... but look still too long given the distance to the brake light singal.bump stop. Screwdriver is holding the rod to the arm.

3rd pic is with the original silver clevite/threaded arm ..... but its too long for this combo.

Other pics just measuring where to drill the 2" (?) hole.

Last edited by FAKKY; 10-14-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #20
51chevytruck

I had a problem with one of CPP's kits. After trying to explain the problem they asked for some pictures (which I texted to them, they have a dedicated line) they come up with a simple solution. I was glad I called, worth a try.
51chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #21
FAKKY

I'll give them a call.

My experience from last time when buying bracket is that the guys here generally have much better ideas ..... Think the response I got was "should be able to use a hydroboost.... Saw it somewhere "
Old 10-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #22
FAKKY

Here's the pics installed.

The 1st pic shows the height of pedal from side

Hydro and brake pedal

https://imgur.com/gallery/8jatr
Old 10-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #23
FAKKY

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=448895

Think I'm going to go this route so adjustable. What's the best way to cut threads in rod ...not sure what rod material is made of etc
Old 10-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=448895

Think I'm going to go this route so adjustable. What's the best way to cut threads in rod ...not sure what rod material is made of etc
go here and buy the length you need Link The rod will pull out of the boost unit and then pop this one in a stake it. The use your clevis for adjustment
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #25
FAKKY

That's awesome.

Literally just pops out by pulling on it ?

Nice tip