The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2017, 01:59 AM   #1
nikwho

Firewall mounted booster & MC on Task Force trucks?

Hello all,
I just got my '59 Apache back that I built a few years ago. I had used as much as I could from the '79 Camaro donor that I got my subframe and rear 10 bolt from. I used the '79 Camaro booster and MC. The booster and MC is at an upward angle, when the original '79 Camaro bracketry is used. I was wondering how many others have also done this, utilizing the Camaro booster & MC? what other setups have you guys used and liked? Im away from the truck at the moment, but will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
nikwho

Re: Firewall mounted booster & MC on Task Force trucks?

Pictures will make what I'm talking about more clear. Here's a thread on Team Chevelle that discusses the same issue.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-b.../topics/219470

I figured that at a minimum, I would bench bleed the MC, or at least loosengine it so that it sits level and re-bleed the brakes. I built this truck when I had less money and needed to be more frugal. Now, if it's sketchy at all, I'd rather replace it. Perhaps even go back to a frame rail mounted MC, if the Camaro subframe didn't conflict with a a frame mounted MC.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
dsraven

I would say bench bleed it well, cap the ports, install and bleed as usual. the other thing you could do is install a different booster or a bracket that places the booster/master cyl level or slightly downward.
if you have a few coils of brake line coming off the master ensure they are all placed in a fashion and the lines run so any trapped air will find it's way to the top and out into the master cyl reservoir so, no low spots or line that is crossed over and no line that comes above the fitting that goes into the master cyl.
personally I like the coils there or flexible line because it allows the master cyl to be moved around some, like unbolting it for manual operation with a rod or screwdriver which enables you to bleed the system on vehicles with the tipped master cyl angle or for checking the pushrod clearance on vehicles with brake bleeding or other issues.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
roger55

I used the one from CPP.
I'm very happy with it but I did do somemodifications to it to make it a lot better.

All the details are in my build thread.
See posts #242, #279 and #416.

This is one here I'm kind of proud of:

roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
nikwho

Looks great! I'll check out your build thread. Thanks for the input, guys. I've been so busy that I've nOT even gotten around to taking pictures of mine. I feel confident that it's safe, just not the most asthetically pleasing in its current state.

Nik