The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
spenceman72

A few performance questions..

Hi everyone. I've got a few questions regarding my 72 K5 and some performance related issues I've been encountering. This has the 350 V8, 4 speed with Granny Gear, headers, Edelbrock 1406 carb.
1. On the carb there are 2 screws on the front to adjust the A/F ratio. When I turn the screw on the left all the way 'closed'..clockwise, the engine does start to really stumble and act like it is going to shut off..then I turn it CC about 2-3 turns and it runs smooth again. However when I turn the screw on the right all the way closed nothing happens. From what I've read, closing either screw should cause a change in the engine, however only the left screw seems to do so?
2. When I first start the engine it will usually fire up quickly, then die unless I pump the peddle...not sure if this is 'normal'? I do push the gas peddle down once before turning the key..I read this is what engages the electric choke?
3. To my comment in #2..the first time I fire the engine up it will usually turnover quickly..but then if I drive for say 20 minutes to the auto parts store and spend 10 minutes there, when I come back to start her up again the engine won't turn over quickly this time..will take 5-10 seconds before it fires up..not sure what could be happening here?

Anyways, probably giving terrible information here for anyone to help with potential diagnoses...I'm not very mechanically inclined, but was hoping I could get some ideas of things to check/look for.
Thanks everyone!
spenceman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Mikec10

Re: A few performance questions..

I can only answer #3 and that is usually from heat soak, the edelbrock carbs have that issue, I had that issue and just bought a 1" plastic carb spacer and it seemed to fix my issue with it not wanting to fire up when hot.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
geezer#99

What's the timing set at?
Where's the vacuum advance hooked to?
What's your rpm at idle?
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If your fuel pressure is more than 5.5 pounds, that could cause issue #3.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote