The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
biggsteve97

ac evaporator

I have an 03 Z71 Tahoe and recently have come to the conclusion the evaporator is bad causing complete loss of freon within days after charging. What is the best way to remove the hvac housing from under the dash? Does the entire dash and center console truely need to be removed?
biggsteve97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: ac evaporator

The Dash, Console & HVAC housing needs to be removed.

Are you 100% sure its the evaporator?
I use ultraviolet A/C dye & a black light, You can see the evaporator with the cabin filters removed.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
biggsteve97

well, I put in the dye and looked over the entire system front to back one dark night in my garage using a uv light and the glasses. I found two leaks on the main lines from the evap to compressor and drier to condensor. I replaced both of those with new gm lines and seals. Pulled a vacuum on the system which held for 30 mins at 20 inches before I charged the system. It took a solid two weeks before the system was putting out warm air and when I put the gauges on it was empty. I took it to my work last saturday and had one of the techs there look the system over and he said it was the front evap. He couldnt find any leaks anywhere else and when he turned on the blower he said it stunk of freon coming out of the vents. I have had the system turned completely off for 3 weeks. Also my system does not have the cabin filters and doesnt even have the door. Which surprised me.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
clinebarger

Thats right....03 & up dont have cabin filters. Sounds like your sure, It seems your having alot of problems with this truck?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
biggsteve97

Aside from havin one spark plug loose on the engine cause some weird driveability issues ive had all kindas of problems with the Hvac system on this thing. First the control head went bad but by the time id figured that out all the freon had leaked out. Fixed the lines only to have something else go. Im thinking about replacing the rear evap as well when i replace the front just incase and so i wouldnt need to by more freon if it goes next month. I just had an 04 Suburban in our shop that had a bad evap on it and it took the tech about a week to swap it out and he got cut up doing it too. We are a dodge dealer and he had never done one of these before. After watchin him though I dont think I want to attempt it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsteve97 View Post
Aside from havin one spark plug loose on the engine cause some weird driveability issues ive had all kindas of problems with the Hvac system on this thing. First the control head went bad but by the time id figured that out all the freon had leaked out. Fixed the lines only to have something else go. Im thinking about replacing the rear evap as well when i replace the front just incase and so i wouldnt need to by more freon if it goes next month. I just had an 04 Suburban in our shop that had a bad evap on it and it took the tech about a week to swap it out and he got cut up doing it too. We are a dodge dealer and he had never done one of these before. After watchin him though I dont think I want to attempt it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dodges are EASY, I can do a 03-07 diesel evaporator core in 2 hours Book calls for 5.6 hours.

03-07 Chevys call for 5.9 hours....& its takes every bit. Then you add....
With Standard Console add 0.5
With Luxury Console, add 0.7
With OnStar add 0.4
With Three Piece Cover, add 0.2
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
edhtrd71

If you remove the blower motor controller which is located close to the blower motor there is enough room to look at the evaporator to see if its leaking. Sometimes they leak. I dont know any good shortcuts for you. this isnt an easy job. You may be able to remove the console just lower the steering column and loosen the dash enough to swing the passenger side back far enough to remove the hvac box. splitting the hvac box you have to break the plastic welds or drill them and buy some new screws to put it back together. There are holes for the screws gm just didnt use screws.
edhtrd71 is offline   Reply With Quote