The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
jnocero

67 Control Arm Rebuild

I am going to rebuild my front end on my 67 C10. It is going to end up with drop spindles, air bags, and disc brakes. I have some hubs, rotors, and calipers from a 79 that I would like to reuse. Questions:

When I order the drop spindles, do I specify 79 to get the right spindles so the 79 calipers and hubs will fit?

Do the 79 spindles need 79 ball joints to get the right taper?

The outer edges of the big holes on the lower control arms are kind of chewed up (where the big pivot shaft nut seats on the arm). I looked at other trucks and this seems common. Do I need to dress that flat somehow?

Any problems with reusing the old control arm shafts and tubes and nuts after 43 years, or did I just answer that question?

What is a good brand of drop spindle?
jnocero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 67 Control Arm Rebuild

Use everything from the 79 that you can, since the 73-87 parts are cheaper to buy. You will need to know what size brakes you have. The made a 1" and a 1.25" thickness rotor. Everything from the spindle out will need to match the size you have, including the caliper.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
raycow

Most people swap the control arms too, because the later bushings are easier to find, cost less, and don't need greasing. If you keep the 67 arms, you will need to put the later ball joints in them. Check the fit of the bushings on the shafts first, because they are likely to be worn.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 08-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
blime81
Laid Lo

I like the CPP modular spindles. They don't increase your track width and can be setup with different brackets to use whatever caliper you like.

I just did this and you will also need to get an adaptor for the tierod ends. The 73+ are bigger thread. You'll be using 73+ outers and earlier inners. CPP sells these as well. Might as well change it all out now rather than getting it back together only to have to swap a sloppy old part later.

My advice is call them and tell them what you have and they'll set you up right.
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
jnocero

Thanks for the help. I will pull the 79 control arms, and call CPP for spindles.
As for the tie rod ends, I have another thread going asking for help with hanging junkyard rack and pinion off of the stock crossmember. Thanks for the advice on getting bigger threads.
jnocero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blime81 View Post
I like the CPP modular spindles. They don't increase your track width and can be setup with different brackets to use whatever caliper you like.

I just did this and you will also need to get an adaptor for the tierod ends. The 73+ are bigger thread. You'll be using 73+ outers and earlier inners. CPP sells these as well. Might as well change it all out now rather than getting it back together only to have to swap a sloppy old part later.

My advice is call them and tell them what you have and they'll set you up right.
If you use all post-73 stuff (spindles, tie-rods, & draglink), there's no need for adapters.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
blime81
Laid Lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
If you use all post-73 stuff (spindles, tie-rods, & draglink), there's no need for adapters.
True, I kept the 72 draglink. Honestly for the price of the adapters, you could just buy a JY draglink.

Sounds like he is gonna run a rack and pinion anyway. I'm wanna see how this is done too!
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote