The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
SouthFlorida_Apache

Glade Green 59 Apache // Progress

Introduction... I grew up building cars and trucks with my dad. Ever since I've been on my own I've told myself I'll pull the trigger on getting my own project and as the years passed it never happened. About a month or two ago I came across a solid truck out of Oklahoma. Sent a deposit and the truck was mine. 1959 Glade Green Task Force, 235, running and driving.

Joined the forum the next day and have been learning lots from you guys since.. thanks for all the information. The truck is currently in North Carolina at my parents where I've been going up to work on it. My dad just finished his truck so he's been helpful with getting things on mine complete. I just got back from my first trip up there seeing the truck and was able to get some things done and take some goods photos.

I'm considering this a quicker build to get this thing pretty roadworthy since I'll be driving it to Daytona for Turkey Rod Run from where I live in Fort Lauderdale in November.

Day it got picked up..

Parked in the garage next to dads..

Sand, buff, wax method to bring out the color and remove oxidation.

Cleaned out the inside, new fuel tank, sending unit, and sound deadener added..

New raditator, motor mounts...

My seat springs were bad but the frame was good. Was able to pick up another seat nearby that had good springs and a bad frame. Cleaned up both and made one good seat frame and springs...

[/url]

Next was able to take the bed off...

Then was able to polish behind the cab..

Next Up...
Wiring harness
3.38 gears
Rear axle flip kit
Dropped front axle
Wood bed kit
Brakes
Finish seat
Wheels and tires

This is what it should look like within the next few months... I've got bigger plans for it, air ride, new motor etc but that won't be for some time.

And now some good photos...

And a few pics of my dads...

And that's it... I'll be updating this as progress goes or with any questions or concerns I have. If any of you guys have Instagram I started a page where I will also be showing progress and updates - @59apachetaskforce
SouthFlorida_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
SouthFlorida_Apache

Re: Glade Green 59 Apache // Progress

Time for some questions.

I haven't ordered the rear kit yet but the plan was for a simple flip kit, looking like this one with new shocks... I was thinking once I get it on I'll see how much travel I have and if a notch is necessary. Thoughts on this? Is a notch needed?

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...Axle-Flip-Kit/

https://westernchassisinc.com/DS-2-S...00-Truck-Rear/

I was looking at the TCI kit which I like but thinking this would only be on the truck for about a year until I start the air ride suspension. Seems kind of a waste of $700 bills for only a year. From what I read I won't need a notch with this kit?

https://totalcostinvolved.com/produc...af-spring-kit/

Any comments or input is appreciated!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
knomadd

Looks good! I'm in. Unfortunately, I'm not up on the pre-67 trucks, so I can't be much help on you questions.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
SouthFlorida_Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Looks good! I'm in. Unfortunately, I'm not up on the pre-67 trucks, so I can't be much help on you questions.
Appreciate you following along. No problem, I'll wait for the other guys to chime in.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

I have the TCI kit on my truck. It's a nice kit and everything fit perfectly and went on good. It gave me the ride height I wanted without notching the frame, but it rides rougher than I expected. Mine came with Pete and Jake's shocks and one of mine is leaking bad with less than 500 miles on it, but that could just be my luck.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFlorida_Apache View Post
....My seat springs were bad but the frame was good. Was able to pick up another seat nearby that had good springs and a bad frame. Cleaned up both and made one good seat frame and springs...

Too bad you were/are 3,000 miles away. I had my seat frame & springs sandblasted and powder coated gloss black before deciding to do away with the springs in favor of modern foam. My seat came out great but I can't bring myself to toss my perfect/no broken or collapsed seat springs, so they hang in my garage. I'll sell them someday I guess.

I like the sanding, polishing on your paint. Better by far than clear coating decades of neglect and calling it "patina". Kudos on making the effort to make it as good as it can be.

I'm no a fan of the very low profile tires like you seem to show in your photoshop but I like the steelies and caps. May I suggest you consider a lighter shade of the same green/blue as the body rather than emphasize the brown of the rusty portions? Whatever you do I'm sure it will look great like the rest of what you've done so far.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
SouthFlorida_Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I have the TCI kit on my truck. It's a nice kit and everything fit perfectly and went on good. It gave me the ride height I wanted without notching the frame, but it rides rougher than I expected. Mine came with Pete and Jake's shocks and one of mine is leaking bad with less than 500 miles on it, but that could just be my luck.
Thanks for the response. I looked into the TCI kit and liked how it was a complete kit. Also saw another truck with it on and the stance was perfect. I'm not going to say this is a budget build but I cant see myself spending $700 bills on that kit. It's still in the running though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Too bad you were/are 3,000 miles away. I had my seat frame & springs sandblasted and powder coated gloss black before deciding to do away with the springs in favor of modern foam. My seat came out great but I can't bring myself to toss my perfect/no broken or collapsed seat springs, so they hang in my garage. I'll sell them someday I guess.

I like the sanding, polishing on your paint. Better by far than clear coating decades of neglect and calling it "patina". Kudos on making the effort to make it as good as it can be.

I'm no a fan of the very low profile tires like you seem to show in your photoshop but I like the steelies and caps. May I suggest you consider a lighter shade of the same green/blue as the body rather than emphasize the brown of the rusty portions? Whatever you do I'm sure it will look great like the rest of what you've done so far.
Appreciate the kind words Dan and if I was closer I would have scooped your seat up. I would hold onto it if I were you... I looked around and couldn't find one close but I was willing to pay up to $150 for a good frame and springs.

I loved how the polishing method came out. Thankful that I had some paint left for that patina to come through. Now I'll keep it waxed and it should stay like this for quite a while.

I'm a fan of the bigger wheels and less tire. Never thought of a light color on the wheels to match the body, but I like the idea. I might do a quick photoshop to see.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
slammed57

finally someone building a truck in my area! lol good lookin truck you got there. Let me know if you need a hand... Mike
Old 07-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #9
SouthFlorida_Apache

Thanks Mike, I've gone through your build. Really nice work!

The truck isn't down here yet... maybe the next month or so. Majority of the big work is happening up north at my parents. There are a few guys out of Miami building trucks. A guy I've seen at Daytona every year is working through his 3rd Apache build... he builds some nice stuff. All with Porterbilt or GSI frame stuff though.

https://www.instagram.com/chucksee/

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed57 View Post
finally someone building a truck in my area! lol good lookin truck you got there. Let me know if you need a hand... Mike
Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
SouthFlorida_Apache

Rear windshield out and front suspension torn apart. Ready to send out to Sid next week. Ordered new windows and rubber all around. Carb rebuild is done.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #11
reg3

Awesome truck you've got, great job on polishing up the patina! I think you've got a great plan for the truck, looking forward to see this one progress
reg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
NeoJuice

what products did you use to polish up the patina? I know there was another member and his 'rat juice' for cleaning up the patina but I would like to know your method. Looks great and following the build.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #13
Mains52

Nice build I'm literally building the 3600 version of this truck so I will pay close attention to your build.
Attached Images

Mains52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #14
SouthFlorida_Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mains52 View Post
Nice build I'm literally building the 3600 version of this truck so I will pay close attention to your build.
Wow, you're right. Nice looking find. My favorite color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoJuice View Post
what products did you use to polish up the patina? I know there was another member and his 'rat juice' for cleaning up the patina but I would like to know your method. Looks great and following the build.
Mine was a little more simple. Wet sanding and polishing on a buffer. Wax to seal. More information at this link...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxnXhoTl0Ki/

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg3 View Post
Awesome truck you've got, great job on polishing up the patina! I think you've got a great plan for the truck, looking forward to see this one progress
Appreciate it man. Thanks for following.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #15
SouthFlorida_Apache

A few small updates. My dad has been cranking through some stuff. Both vent windows replaced and cleaned up. Working properly now. Brakes cleaned up including drums. Got off the phone with Teresa from Nostalgia Sids earlier to get paid up. Axle and all other suspension is done and will be in the mail tomorrow. Pretty quick turn around. The first axle my dad and I got from them for our first truck, 1940 GMC took about 5 weeks, this was only 2.

After doing more research, I don't think I'll be going with the original plan to change the gears in the rear end. With the new gears and the install kit I'm looking at about $300-$400. For that cost I figured it might be better to just replace the rear end. That way in the future when I change out the motor I won't have to replace the rear end then. So I'm searching for a 10 or 12 bolt GM or Ford 9" currently.

Next time I'll be going up north is to put the front suspension together and figure out a plan for the rear. I would say it's about 60% complete from where I want it to be. Pretty stoked to get this thing finished up and down in the sunshine state.

Also quick update on the wheels/tires plan... I'm not sure it will be in my budget right away to pull the trigger on Detriot Steel or Coy smoothies so I'm working with the idea of 20" Dodge Steelies and running an adapter. Going to search a few local junkyards and pick one up for a test fit. I've seen a few task force's running these and I like the military style look they give. If these work out it should hold me over til I can gather up some coin for the wheels I actually want.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
SouthFlorida_Apache

Well, got her lowered. My dad has been putting in lots of time. Not where I want her just yet but close. Want to come down another inch or inch and a half in the back. I'm also going to need to do a small notch for clearance.

Also decided on a new rear end instead of changing the gears. Heading to pick up up a 69/70 c10 rear end later this week. Thinking of heading up north in the next week or two to get the rear end sorted out too.

More updates coming soon. Thinking I'm about a month or two away from road worthy.