The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #1876
Boog
laying low

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Way back in the early 70s I had a '56 Ford truck and at someone's suggestion i checked into the special tags. The lady dropped a large book in front of me and said here's anything you need to know about what vehicles qualify for special tags. I didn't go very far until I knew i didn't want to go that route. I'm like Tim in that I don't want anybody telling me how I can use my vehicles.
I won't get personalized plates either.
A man I once worked for had his name on his plates and drove fast most everywhere he went. After being stopped for speeding one day he decided he really didn't need to tell everyone who that speeding car belonged to.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #1877
special-K
Special Order

We have historic as well as street rod tags, yet with historic there is nothing that says it has to be original. I think street rod has nothing to do with age, maybe. In other words, it could be a later model vehicle that was modified to where it isn't street legal by that year's standards... including emissions. I know you have to have a minimum of 18 modifications. I never looked into it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #1878
powerdriver

Day to Day stuff huh . Bus mechanic . We have annual D.O.T Inspections . They come in and take over the shop bringing their own jacks and equipment . I just get out of their way . 2 weeks prep time . Had window chips that needed fixed .

Some other minor stuff . If you have one corner of one exit decal blown loose its
a fail . All Three small bus lots I take care of were there . 47 units total . Tough on the nerves and at 60 years old I don't know if I want to do another .

The insurance company bases their rates on these inspections so the big bosses want good numbers . Plus the schools bird dog this too . Plenty of pressure to get this right . Of The 3 schools , All went home with 100%.

My Nightmares are all in one color .... Yellow
powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #1879
davischevy

100%, that should get you some recognition. Good job.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #1880
davischevy

I was going to put this in the "Vintage Picture Thread" but couldn't find it.

My dad sitting on the running board of his 37 Ford in 1946. He drove it to Washington state shortly after this was taken. It had a 60 HP engine. He said he drove as much in second gear as third.

He pulled into a service station when he got to his destination, and the attendant said he liked the car. My dad ended up trading on the spot for a 37 Plymouth.
Attached Images

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #1881
powerdriver

In that case here is mine . Dad drove the older one
Attached Images

powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #1882
special-K
Special Order

I don't think there's a vintage picture thread in General Disco. That's a great picture, Larry. Sitting on the running board, overalls, and all.

Nice pair! No ma'am, not yours. Well... now that I'm lookin', hubba hubba hubba! Oh yeah, those C30s. Nice looking fleet. No ma'am, I said fleet not feet. But now that I'm lookin'...........

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #1883
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Bears repeating!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:55 PM   #1884
davischevy

Tim has been repeating himself a lot lately. I'm beginning to worry about him.

About ten or twelve years after that picture was taken, we lived in Blue Springs. My dad had a residential remodeling business in and around the KC area. He bought a new Chevy truck from Claude Parrish Chevrolet in Liberty, MO.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #1885
powerdriver

To My Surprise ...
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #1886
special-K
Special Order

I only hit post reply once, I swear. Damn computer acts funny. It will take me hitting "back" more than 1/2 dozen times to get away from a thread after posting, when I shouldn't have to hit it at all, IIRC. I get the "Thank you for posting. You will now be taken back to your thread message" over and over. I hit the back button several times and see where it goes. Been that way a long time.

Yeah Powerdriver, congratulations. Well deserved. I'd think a gold watch & chain is in order.

Talking about historic tags and restrictions. This evening in town parked right on Main St downtown, which is maybe 2 blocks, I see this goofy red GM X body (Grand Prix/Celebrity?) with huge wing, imitation wheelie bars, a crunched front fender and more money spent in vinyl graphics than on the car... with historic tags. They were all over it. "Ferrari" across both doors on both sides, other stuff squeezed in and some sort of message on the back window about beating the system to some affect. I mean, really??? What a dunce? Then I'm getting mulch at Walmart and here they come cruising around the shopping center with loud exhaust goosing it and acting up. WTF? This was either a visitor to town or the guy just got it on the road. We used to have resident troopers but in less than the last two years we now have our own police force with over zealous rejects who couldn't make a real force with nothing better to do but bother people for running historic tags for uses they wrongly interpret as misuse. What an idiot. He probably got nailed since I saw him. Although, I've only seen him the one time so we are allowed occasional use. But these cops won't see it that way.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 03-13-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #1887
davischevy

Congratulations.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:20 PM   #1888
Killer Bee

my night shift mechanics all said great job!

I've gone through several CHP BIT terminal inspections.. ugh!!!

commercial enforcement guy's are usually pretty cool..

some roadside guy's though can be tough! trucker f___ers

CA BIT vehicle inspections for commercial truck are 90 day, busses are 45 day..
Old 03-12-2019, 11:53 PM   #1889
davischevy

You need to get back to work now Killer.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #1890
special-K
Special Order

I had another interesting "retail" experience last week on Monday. It was forecast to be freezing temps all week except Monday was going up to 40. I was doing work for a customer prepping his house to listed for sale in a couple weeks. Monday was "the day" to take care of an area of foundation parging that was loose and coming off.

I stop by the nearest Home Depot for a couple bags of Portland cement on my way there. Dump a bag in the mortar pan and it was in clumps from being mishandled... allowed to get wet. No good! I hurry up and stick the bag in the Suburban with the full bag and rush back over to Home Depot to return, grab a cart, and roll it up to customer service. The girl says "We can't accept an empty bag for a return". That I did not need to be hearing, "You sure can", and I explained the content was faulty and in my mortar pan yet to be disposed of. She gets the other gal involved,"Where's the product? You can't just return an empty bag". I was under the gun to get back ASAP to do this work and let the last warmth of the week from that afternoon sunshine be getting on my completed parge job like now. I said, "Look. This ain't no food store and that ain't no empty bag of potato chips. I am a professional contractor and this is a building supply business. Your product is defective, unsellable, and I am losing valuable time to complete the work I am committed to get done today. I need this returned so I can buy something else and get back to do just that!". Eyebrows raised all around, a manager was brought over, and he instructed them on how to go about taking a return. I thanked him and said time was of the essence and shoveling the bad product into the bag was not an option. He said "No. We wouldn't want that in here anyway" and I replied "I wouldn't think so".

Those places take returns for all sorts of stupid reasons including "I changed my mind" from home owners without question. They were telling the wrong guy on the wrong day "No". They are so big and so focused on marketing to everyone and anyone they forget they stepped into the age old slot of supplier of building product to (gnarly ) professional contractors making their livelihoods who buy by the truckload. I avoid them all I can, but can't shoot myself in the foot over my feelings toward them.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 03-13-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #1891
Boog
laying low

Tim are you ok? Got a finger twitch or something?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #1892
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

[QUOTE=special-K;8486044]I had another interesting "retail" experience last week on Monday. It was forecast to be freezing temps all week except Monday was going up to 40. I was doing work for a customer prepping his house to listed for sale in a couple weeks. Monday was "the day" to take care of an area of foundation parging that was loose and coming off.

I stop by the nearest Home Depot for a couple bags of Portland cement on my way there. Dump a bag in the mortar pan and it was in clumps from being mishandled... allowed to get wet. No good! I hurry up and stick the bag in the Suburban with the full bag and rush back over to Home Depot to return, grab a cart, and roll it up to customer service. The girl says "We can't accept an empty bag for a return".

I feel your pain ..on that day when one has no time to spare.. I have been there more than once .. there are other things that go wrong and I bet you have experienced them also..

Order was placed but got lost
Order came in and the window is the wrong size
Order came in and it is broken from delivery
ect ect ect''
Anyway Tim ,,hope all got done that day with out rain and you are relaxing now with a cup of coffee
Old 03-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #1893
powerdriver

Brush and horn collector ring replacement . With the constant turning this is pretty common .
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #1894
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I spent the day at the tire store with my nephew is manager of. By the end of the day "Blue" had new shoes......what ya think?
Attached Images

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 03-15-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: correction
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 PM   #1895
special-K
Special Order

I think Cooper is Super! Good tire company. What size?

Tim

Old 03-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #1896
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think Cooper is Super! Good tire company. What size?
They're LT295/75R16 on F#*d 16x7 rims
Attached Images

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #1897
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Bears repeating! Those wheels fit all the major US brands, so I wouldn't call them F#*d wheels. I got one off a '96(?) Suburban from the wrecking yard.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #1898
Ol Blue K20

Sorry the site was being goofy...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 03-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #1899
flashed

Tires look great . I was going to put tires on my K10 but I killed the motor Sunday .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #1900
davischevy

A nice set of wheels and tires and wheels make a rig. That looks great.

I'm starting to worry about you and Tim repeating yourselves.