The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #126
rechinca

Re: 71 C10 LB: Code Name Sloth

Seems like I am never getting enough work done, just more parts bought and plans for work!

At any rate, she finally has full exhaust! Tucked up so it isn’t seen below the frame and the exits are up behind the rear wheel opening point down. Didn’t want them showing for a cleaner look. I think the mufflers I had (Magnaflow used stainless ones I picked up for $50) are a bit too quiet for what I want. They sound good when I step on it, just no sound at idle.

I picked up a working/lightly used Holley Sniper unit, a Boyd side full tank, lines from Hot Rod Fuel Hose and plan on using a returnless in tank pump from Holley. That will all go in this winter when I will get the rockers, RH cab corner and kick panel/toe board rust taken care of. I am going to build a fuel filler that comes into the bed though a fabbed box by the left rear just inside the tailgate.

Spent several hours getting to know my 5 gal bucket of water and multiple sheets of 400/800 grit sandpaper. That black paint had to go! I can’t tell you how hard that stuff is. Like oil based implement paint with a hardener in it. At any rate I have about 2/3 of the truck sanded back to the original Light Orange. Some spots the original pint was already worn through, bare metal, scratched, chipped or paint was spot repaired. Other spots weren’t too bad. It definitely had some dents, dings and wavy metal in places. Pounded out a heavy dent behind the RR wheel where they must have blown a tire at some point. Getting it back to close to original patina. I think it looks a lot better, but I have a can of Sweet Patina to put over it. Should be done by the end of this coming weekend. I better be as it’s going to C10 Intervention in Woodland, CA on September 2-3.

Once I get to the fuel system/tank installation this fall I’ll post up a separate thread for the Sniper/Boyd/returnless set up. The pump isn’t cheap, but then again neither is a second line for the return coming back into the tank. I like the cleaner install without it. I’d rather spend a few $$ more and not run a return line back or the external regulator with built in return.

At any rate here she sits as of now with black paint coming off and white Rally’s with the 88+ small center caps.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2023, 09:30 PM   #127
rechinca

I lost count around 25-26 hours of wet sanding. Found some hidden spot paint repairs (no real damage under it that I could discern), a lot of spots where paint was super thin (not surprised) and lost of places with bare metal under the black spray paint. I could have been a little more delicates, but I’ll be honest, that black paint was thick and acted like oil based implement paint with a hard enter in it. Some places I had to start with 80grit on a DA to break through the top half before hitting with 220/320/400! All good though as I like the look. Not sure I’ll get the Patina Sauce on before the C10 Intervention Saturday since I lost two days of my weekend to forced work. But here it is from 5 years ago when I bought it to yesterday.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2023, 09:47 PM   #128
cornerstone

Time well spent Rechina! I like the white and orange combo...

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote