The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
3drburb

Alignment help needed.

Hi guys, I'm needing some help. Yesterday I cut one full coil off the front of my 72 Suburban and added new shocks. I drives great now and I'll be adding an anti sway bar and 2" rear blocks this weekend.
The problem is I'm 1/2 inch out of alignment but don't have the bolt space to add the shims. Whats are you guys doing or what is the best way to fix this other than going to a shop?
Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
3drburb

Re: Alignment help needed.

Well I'm guessing that a 1/2 inch off in alignment should not be much if any of a concern.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
cdowns

either go to a good alignment place or buy tires frequently
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
tinydb84

You can buy longer bolts for up top. You can also section the lower control arms if you know how to weld.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Custom 68

1/2 inch out of where? front to rear or what? I have always seen the alignment information done in degrees?
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
BMERDOC

It has been my experience that the stock specs absolutely stink. Leave ALL the shims out and ask the alignment shop to dial in as much negative camber and as much positive caster as possible. Essentially, they'll be evening out the spec on both sides which will greatly minimize shims. Have them set the toe to 0°.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
3drburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
You can buy longer bolts for up top. You can also section the lower control arms if you know how to weld.
Thanks you, I'll be looking into the longer bolts first. I prefer not to cut and weld the LCA.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
3drburb

[QUOTE=Custom 68;6022134]1/2 inch out of where? front to rear or what? I have always seen the alignment information done in degrees?[/QUOTE

The front wheels camber in at the top a 1/2 inch after the drop. This is the measurement I got on both sides after using a large square on a very level surface, pulling off the wheel rings and then measuring not letting the square touch the tire. Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
3drburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
It has been my experience that the stock specs absolutely stink. Leave ALL the shims out and ask the alignment shop to dial in as much negative camber and as much positive caster as possible. Essentially, they'll be evening out the spec on both sides which will greatly minimize shims. Have them set the toe to 0°.
Thanks for the advise, pulling out all the shims and taking it to a shop may be a good way for me to go, the last time I needed an alignment on anther car it took the store 2 time to get it right.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Toe in keeps steering components in compression which helps w/ control and tracking; especially if there is any play. I wouldn't recommend less than 1/16" toe in except in some racing applications.

Many older vehicles lack the tuning range to remove all shims, but starting from zero shims might not be a bad idea. The tech might not appreciate it though.

If dial in too much positive caster the LCR may wear out very quick. You should fully stroke suspension to verify out of spec LCR doesn't bind.

Good luck finding an alignment shop that can shim, caster and camber an old vehicle. I gave up and do my own alignments now.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
Custom 68

I'm sitting in an alignment shop right now. Found a guy that will sit it where ever I want. He has done my truck before and did great. He has done my buddies Camaro a few times
Posted via Mobile Device
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
BMERDOC

0° degrees is fine. 1/16th toe in (1/8th total) is fine too. 1/8th total out should be used for a more performance oriented alignment. Removing the shims will not hurt anything and only serve to equalize the alignment on both sides of the front suspension to gain the most negative camber and most positive caster. On a factory front suspension it was only when I added 3" drop springs that the alignment got anywhere near where a decent alignment should be. Doing an alignment this way will not add undue stress to the suspension pieces.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
3drburb

Thanks for the help all of you. And BMERDOC you did an awesome write up on alignment. Anyway I dropped the rear 2" with blocks yesterday and it seems to have corrected the front. Thanks again as I learned a lot, as always around here.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
BMERDOC

Glad I could help! I haven't touched that thread in a minute but I intend to blow the dust off of it with another alignment. I recently installed power steering and i just recieved some lower control arm shafts so I could perform the LCA modification to gain some more caster. Good luck with your truck!
Easiest Alignment Ever!