The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #251
drtybiker

Re: Yet Another s10 swap

[QUOTE=jeffs51chevy;6390788]I guess I need to apologize for being away so long. Cancer is a *****, but if you have a goal you can accomplish anything. This truck has kept me focused, if not mentally occupied through some dark times. It will be on the road soon. Not pretty or perfect, but burning back tires by the case. I'll post some photos and maybe a video when she's operational. Thanks to all who post. You guys are

Have you had the chance to get back on this truck I am about to just buy an AD body a S-10 and build from there I was gonna buy one but down here in florida they are way over priced
drtybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #252
seasideprez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs51chevy View Post
Ok, so this is the process I used to build fixed cab mounts for the s10 frame swap. I got back to my kindergarten roots and made some very crude patterns out of old folders in my office.
[IMG][/IMG]
I took these down to the local Agricultural Equipment machine shop and had the pieces sheared and bent. After drilling a few holes (that I ended up not using) and a little welding, I had finished mounts. Here are the results:

Thanks for looking.
BTW- I've tried to shrink these pics down. I chose the preset "website" size 320 x 240 but they still are huge. Can someone give me a fix for this?
you should sale them on the side, I'd buy a set. let me know if you can make me a set
seasideprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #253
49 CHEVY

I would definitely buy a set! anyone willing to fab some up and sell them? Im having a hard time thinking about paying $1300+ for an EZ or 504 kit
49 CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #254
84blaze

Those are awesome. I plan to use 4" square tubing when I do mine.
84blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #255
wibas

I have built 2 sets out of 4x4x1/4 tube with 1/4" square plates on top. I was able to cut a 30 degree angle on the bottom so they do not hang below the frame. They are a little over kill and heavy but look cool. Drilled 1/2 holes in square plate to hold universal urethane mounts. Set your cab on blocks where you like it and weld them on and remove the blocks. Level and locate twice, weld once. Good luck!
wibas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:53 PM   #256
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49 CHEVY View Post
I would definitely buy a set! anyone willing to fab some up and sell them? Im having a hard time thinking about paying $1300+ for an EZ or 504 kit
You need to build them yourself man and with the money you save you can easily justify buying a nice welder.

Don't want to sound like a dick, but, if a guy can't fab up a set of mounts, then they should probably find another project other than a frame swap because there's going to be much more than the cab mounts to figure out.

I think the EZ and 504 kits are a good way to go if you're time limited, but honestly, after looking at pics of them, I'm not super impressed. If you do it yourself you can make tweeks to do what you want to do, which you can't with a pre-fabed kit. A design like Jeffs I think is a bit more solid, which is what I used as the basis for mine, with my own little tweeks. I made up some drawings of mine, see post 65 here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=664837&page=3

Last edited by HUSSEY; 02-09-2016 at 11:04 PM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #257
99 to Life

couldn't agree more. the kits they are selling I have dual feelings about. Kits take the thinking out of the build. your paying for someone else to do the thinking for you. Porterbuilt IMO is the same thing, nice stuff with a little more practicality but cmon. anyone can "build" a hotrod these days. If you can't weld or want to learn to weld, why build a hotrod. I understand some guys can't do body work, or paint or rebuild a trans or engine etc. But I like to see the guy that tries their hand in it all. Crate engines blahhh they are annoying, but do serve a purpose. You get warranties and people doing it everyday, just like paint. But at what point can someone say "I built that" did you really? what all did you do if its all bolt on. I argue with my friend about it often. He hates bolt on, I tell him, well your wheels bolt onto the truck is there a problem with that!!! but I get his side of it. The true craftsman are going the wayside to a degree. Seems like the majority is either lazy and lack of knowledge, or... the extreme opposite which go insane on a build or period correct parts, or metal shaping etc. To me its a balance, you want to get it done, you might have a budget but... you don't want to half step it either. anyone with money can build a hotrod. But there are few rods out there that have a good story and track record. I like to see the artistry in a build but same time safety and practicality. anyway, the topic could be debated to the high heavens, but I'm all about the guy doing it himself and really trying to fabricate. get pulled into the build and understand it, not just expect a blueprint.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #258
clc

Any dimensions on bed mount brackets?
clc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:51 AM   #259
47owner

what gauge metal did you use for the trans tunnel.
47owner is offline   Reply With Quote