The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
snowblind

Please help - Heated Seat Wiring...

I searched for a couple of hours but I couldn't find anyone who actually got the seat heaters in their 00-06 power buckets to work. PLEASE point me in the direction of a link if you know of one.

I have a pair of seats from a 2002 Silverado. Full compliment of power adjustment on both seats. Memory on the driver's seat. MIGHT be heated. I wired up the power to the two large orange wires and ground to the large black wire and all the adjustments work fine. I would leave it at that but I love me some heated seats so I wanted to pursue this a little more.

I purchased a pair of heater/memory switches on Ebay from an 02 Silverado in hopes of making this easier but it's still going to take some customizing I think.

So...

#1 - Can someone who is SURE that they have heated seats please tell what wires run to the main plug on the PASSENGER seat? Mine has 2 big orange, 1 big black, 1 little black and 1 little blue/black.

#2 - If you think for a second that you know someone who has done this please let me know and I'll try and track them down.

Thanks,
Matt Crawley
SLC, Utah
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #2
Joemomma1

Re: Please help - Heated Seat Wiring...

I have the same seats. There is no heat on mine. Theres the up, down forward, back and tilt using the flat switches. The round switch is for the lumbar support. I dont think these have heat. Does your seats switches look like this? I have not been able to find a diagram for these seats yet. If I find one I will let you know.

Last edited by Joemomma1; 11-06-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
brian10048

I have the same seats. Power and heated. I was told I couldn't use them whatsoever because a module controls everything. I was however able to get them powered easily and they move, but I haven't seen anyone that has gotten the heat to work. I think that will actually require the module out of the truck, which will probably need other modules to make it work as well.
BBC Exhaust Manifolds
Stock Spindles & Springs
and More
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=287817
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291000
brian10048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
I have the same seats. There is no heat on mine. Theres the up, down forward, back and tilt using the flat switches. The round switch is for the lumbar support. I dont think these have heat. Does your seats switches look like this? I have not been able to find a diagram for these seats yet. If I find one I will let you know.
My seats look the same as those and the controls on the seat bases are the same but the heated seat switch for these trucks was up on the door and also holds seat memory position switches. Here's photos of the seat and switches.

Matt

Last edited by snowblind; 11-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
snowblind

Does your passenger seat connector look the same as mine posted above? I had to connect both orange to power and the ground to black to get the power adjustments to work.

Searching for info I've heard plenty of stories about problems with these seats in stock setups and reference of the whole system being tied together with the ECU, some models won't heat unless the seat belt is latched, etc, etc. My hope is that by simply applying power at all the places that the factory connectors expect I will be simulating a happy ECU. I found a wiring diagram and I think it shows the "heated seat module" as built in to each seat and the wiring between the switches and seats as being somewhat independent of the central wiring.

I'll post the wiring diagram in a bit to show you what I'm talking about.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian10048 View Post
I have the same seats. Power and heated. I was told I couldn't use them whatsoever because a module controls everything. I was however able to get them powered easily and they move, but I haven't seen anyone that has gotten the heat to work. I think that will actually require the module out of the truck, which will probably need other modules to make it work as well.

Last edited by snowblind; 11-06-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
snowblind

Here's the diagram. Sorry for the low resolution but it's all I could find. I think it's from a Cadillac of some sort. I don't even know if it's from the same year but it's a "jumping off point" of sorts to help with the brainstorming.

I REALLY don't know how to read electrical diagrams but this is what I see concentrating on the simpler passenger seat.

The two big boxes middle top are the heated seat switches. The two big boxes with dotted lines are the seats themselves and the heated seat modules and seat/back elements are located within the seats.

Switches - 4 wire connection:
Brown#1: power in to the switch
Brown#2: power in to lights
Black: out to ground
Lt Blue/Black: out to seat

Passenger seat - 3 wire connection
Lt Blue/Black: signal in from heated seat switch
Orange: power in to the heated seat module
Black: Ground

All of the other connections to relays and whatnot seem to be on "the front end" so to speak and can hopefully be bypassed... assuming that I even have heated seats that is. My wiring at the seat looks to match but I'll need to look a lot closer to be sure.

Matt
Old 11-07-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
Joemomma1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
My seats look the same as those and the controls on the seat bases are the same but the heated seat switch for these trucks was up on the door and also holds seat memory position switches. Here's photos of the seat and switches.

Matt
Damn. The guy I got the seats from told me they were heated and were memory but I didnt know those were on the doors so I assumed he was just talking. Got to find a set of those switches. Thanks alot for correcting me on my incorrect comments.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
BP68

He is the description of how the heated seat system works for a 2002 Silverado straight from the GM Technical site (I work at a dealership)
Hope it helps some.

The heated seats system for the driver and passenger seat consists of the following components:

• Heated seat switch

• Seat cushion heater element

• Seat back heater element

• Heated seat module

• Heated seat cushion thermistor

• PTC device

• SEO2 30A fuse

• IGN3 10A fuse

Heated Seats System Operation

Both the driver and passenger seats have 2 heating elements. One is in the seat cushion and the other is in the seat back. The heated seats are capable of obtaining temperatures of 98°F in LOW mode and 107°F in HIGH mode. Battery voltage is supplied to the heated seat module from the SEO2 30A fuse and through a PTC device. The PTC is hardwired in the battery voltage supply circuit in the seat harness assembly and provides extra circuit protection. Ignition voltage is supplied to the heated seat switch from the IGN3 10A fuse. When the heated seat switch is pressed ignition voltage is supplied to the solid state switching device within the heated seat switch assembly. The first time the heated seat switch is activated the solid state switching device supplies voltage to illuminate the high LED indicator and a signal voltage to the heated seat module indicating the high mode is active. The second time the heated seat switch is activated the solid state switching device supplies voltage to illuminate the low LED indicator and a voltage signal to the heated seat module indicating the low mode is active. When the heated seat module receives a high or low mode active signal from the heated seat switch signal circuit, battery voltage is supplied to the seat cushion and back heater elements. The heated seat cushion thermistor provides a signal to the heated seat module used to determine the seat cushion temperature. The heated seat module regulates the supply voltage to the heater elements according to the inputs from the heated seat switch and the seat cushion thermistor.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
BP68

From what I see, you need a 30a fused (hot at all times) power on the ORN wire under the seat at the heated seat connecor
Ground at the blk wire

Then 10a fused (hot in run) power to the brn wire of memory/heated switch
Ground on the blk wire of the switch

and the Lt blue on the switch goes to the LT blue of the connector under seat.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
BP68

If you really want to get trick and control the memory functions, here is the description. You will need to come up with the schematics for the non class 2 memory function.

2003 and later used class 2 serial data to make things work.

Memory Seats Description and Operation
Memory Seat System Components
The memory seat system consists of the following components:

• Power seat switch assembly

• Memory recall switch assembly

• Horizontal adjuster motor

• Front vertical adjuster motor

• Rear vertical adjuster motor

• Recline adjuster motor

• Memory seat module

• SEAT 25A circuit breaker

• MIR/LOCK 3A fuse

• IGN3 10A fuse

Memory Seat System Description
Battery voltage is supplied to the memory seat module from the SEAT 25A circuit breaker. The memory seat module supplies the seat adjuster switch assembly with a battery positive reference voltage. While the seat adjuster switches are in an inactive state the switch contacts are closed to the adjuster switch ground circuit. When a seat adjuster switch is pressed to an active state the switch contact is closed to the reference voltage circuit. Battery voltage on a switch signal circuit indicates to the memory seat module the switch status is active. Each seat adjuster motor is controlled by the memory seat module through 2 motor control circuits. While the seat adjuster motors are in an inactive state the motor control circuits are closed to ground circuit contacts within the memory seat module. The memory seat module operates the seat adjuster motors by switching one of a motor's control circuits to battery voltage. The seat adjuster motors are bidirectional and the direction of adjuster motor rotation is determined by which of the adjuster motor control circuits is switched to battery voltage while the other remains grounded.

Memory Set/Recall Operation
The seat adjuster motors are equipped with internal position sensors. The adjuster motor position sensors are monitored by the memory seat module and are used to determine the seat position when storing or recalling memory settings. The horizontal, front vertical, and rear vertical adjuster motors use hall effect type position sensors. The hall effect position sensors are supplied with 5-volt reference and ground circuits from the memory seat module. The position sensor signal circuits are supplied 5 volts through a resistor them monitored within the memory seat module. During adjuster motor operation the hall effect position sensor provides a single pulse for every revolution of the adjuster motor shaft. The memory seat module counts the pulses from the position sensor signal circuits to determine the adjuster motor positions when storing or recalling memory seat position settings. The recline adjuster motor is equipped with a potentiometer type position sensor. The recline motor position sensor is supplied with it's own 5-volt reference and ground circuits from the memory seat module. The recline position sensor signal circuit is supplied 5 volts through a resistor then monitored within the memory seat module. The signal voltage monitored by the memory seat module ranges from 0.39 - 4.58 volts and is determined by the wiper location on the resistor within the recline motor position sensor. The recline motor position sensor signal circuit voltage level is used by the memory seat module to determine the seat recline position when storing or recalling memory seat position settings.

The memory recall switch assembly on the driver's door provides inputs to the memory seat module. Battery voltage is supplied to the memory recall switch assembly from the MIR/LOCK 3A fuse. When a SET, RCL 1, or RCL 2 switch is pressed, the switch contacts close the appropriate switch signal circuit to the battery voltage supply circuit within the memory recall switch assembly. Battery voltage on a switch signal indicates to the memory seat module the switch status is active.

Memory seat recall operation is allowed only with the transmission selector lever in the PARK position while the ignition is on. The memory seat module determines the ignition is on using the ignition voltage supply circuit from the IGN3 10A fuse. The memory seat module relies on in input from the shift lock control switch supply circuit in order to determine transmission selector lever is in the PARK position.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
fixit-p

Here's another diagram (heated seat) it's from a 2002 siverado.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."

Last edited by fixit-p; 11-07-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: incomplete info
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Joemomma1

Faq!Faq!Faq! I know we are not the only ones who will need this info on these seats. I have yet to see this much info anywhere else for the above mentioned subject. No?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
snowblind

NICE!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great info. I test wired the passenger seat and the lights on the switch came on as they should. I was running it off the battery so I didn't leave it on long enough to check for warmth but the principle is correct.

I'm busy on body mounts right but I'll be working on the seats later in the week and I'll post photos.

Matt
Old 07-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
cronkj1967

I just got the same seats. First place I was able to find anything on this wiring. I see the post is pretty old. Anymore wiring diagrams? Did you get the memory to work? Any pics of the seats in the truck?
cronkj1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronkj1967 View Post
I just got the same seats. First place I was able to find anything on this wiring. I see the post is pretty old. Anymore wiring diagrams? Did you get the memory to work? Any pics of the seats in the truck?
I didn't do any work on them over the winter but I'm back on it this summer. (Among many other things...) They are now mounted but I need to refine a little for safety and correct seating. I haven't gone further on the heated seat wiring but I am confident it will work. I will update this thread after I get it all taken care of.

Here are some current pics:

Check out my build thread for a few more details.

'72 Jimmy Build
Old 09-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Just wanting to keep this near the top, its what I was looking for. Was trying to see how the seat heaters are wired and what the switches looked like. Thanks to Snowblind for the pics!!! Now I have to find some switches and then run some wires....
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #17
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Back to the top for an update...

Hey Matt - did you get the seat heaters working?

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
snowblind

Hey Everyone.

I still haven't wired the heaters yet and the cold leather reminds my backside every morning. The hold up is that I don't have a tuffy center console to mount the switches to.

If someone wants to donate one...

'72 Jimmy Build

Last edited by snowblind; 01-18-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #19
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Brrrrr ...... well I sold my heated seats and picked up a set of manual seats with cloth... i'll just throw in some after market seat heaters later....

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
laynrockers

Question Re: Please help - Heated Seat Wiring...

BUMP-- Has anyone successfully done this yet? I have 07 Tahoe seats and an escalade center console. I plan on trying to wire the seats, clock, heaters ect. MY center console also has Heated and cooled cup holders. I need awiring genius to help??

Kris
laynrockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
72BBCK20

I'm currently trying to power up 2010 escalade seats, passenger movements/ lumbar ok. however drivers seats works intermittently, I believe its due to the 5 volt reference for the position sensors but not sure. any help would be really appreciated.

my thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=612773
Old 08-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #22
E.TexasTwister

Has anyone gotten these seats to heat up yet?
I have a set out of a 2004 Tahoe with the console.
I want to use the control switches for the rear seats too control
My front buckets. Do we have any wire techs out there?
I don't want to just start hooking up wires and see what they do.
Nor do I want to burn down the truck at this stage.
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
E.TexasTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #23
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Please help - Heated Seat Wiring...

I have a set out of a 99 Tahoe and plan to hook them up tonight and see if the heat works. I got all the movement working and lumbar to pump up. I think I have figured out the heat and will try it tonight.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 10-10-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Please help - Heated Seat Wiring...

I have heat!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #25
PDXk5

Subscribing,
I have 2012 second row tahoe seats and will be mounting them this winter. I would love to hook up the heated seat option for them. Has someone got this to work and can provide direction for the rest of us ? !
PDXk5 is offline   Reply With Quote