The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
76Blue_Beast

Lighting for late squares question.

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Been a while since I've been on but I recently got my 91 burb back from a hear transplant and have that little fire inside me again for this ol girl.

My question to you is: what have you all done for upgrading the lights to LED or something different from the dual factory sealed beams ? I want to get rid of the sealed beams and throw in LEDs but cant seem to get accurate information off the interwebs. I've looked for plug and play seeing how LEDs have made a big hit but they seems to look larger than what I have. I've been told we have 3x5 yet cardi.com and Amazon and all them suggest larger sizes . Please send links , sizes and pictures. Would be cool to see. Thanks again! Happy new year.
76Blue_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Lighting for late squares question.

i have not seen much at all in the QUALITY department for the 89-91 quad light system for bolt in led stuff .

i have done the j.w. speaker led units on my 81-87 4 headlight setup and love the quality / look / beam pattern is super with a good hard cutoff line in front of you to not be the guy with cheep led units that just toss light out every place . i have yet to have anyone flash me at night with mine on .

i also did the sylvania ZEVO led 1157 red in the rear and 1157 amber in front grill turn / markers plus 168/194 red in the rear side markers . the front fender turn/marker you need to find a NON-polarity sensitive led in amber as gm flip flops what wire flashed when marker is on over the no marker on . i found some just waiting for them to show up and test .

the led swap has got me about 1 sec faster brake light on over the older style bulbs .

and i tryed the off the shelf ZEVO and non ZEVO sylvania 1156 for backup but they didnt even come close to stock bulbs . . . it was so bad i about died on the shop floor . i found some other units i am waiting for them to show up with the 168/194 others i ordered .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
76Blue_Beast

Ty man I appreciate it. Yeah I'm just having a hell of the time with the upgrade of these stupid sealed beams . I know they run them on the Van's and blazer/ Jimmy too. Well the search will go on.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
sweetk30

heard a lot of guys over the years love the HELLA light replacement lenses and then use late model bulbs in them .

but make sure you get RHT = right hand traffic lenses if you find them . lots of HELLA stuff is also sold over seas and they do LHT a lot and the cut of the glass lenses is different .

Old 12-30-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
76Blue_Beast

Ok so I was looking at the specifics on lmc and it says the factory lights are 150mm. However I noticed other sites sell 5x7 which are listed as 155mm. I'm wondering if these would fit with maybe some small altering if any at all? What do you think? Now I was under the impression that these were factory 5x3 but I guess that's not the case ? Man this stuff hurts my brain. All for light upgrades so we can see while driving.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
blakerj10

I did come across some 150mm LED conversions on ebay. They looked decent. I think a certain gen Camaro used the same quad 150mm and I would think that would be a bigger market than the limited production years of square bodies that used the quad 150mm.
blakerj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
sweetk30

lots of people are finding the cheep ebay / amazon led units dont fit the housing correctly . and lots of them just blast light out with no regard to were it goes other than in front of the light and this leads to the blinding in your face coming at you light we are all hating . so if you chose to try these do so with caution .

these might be fine for off road use but i would never use them my self on road .

Old 01-02-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
trixter99
I have no time for this

JW Speaker makes a direct replacement unit that is really good. I run them in my Kenworth. They are costly but the truck shops have the best prices usually half price to the internet. Just make sure you adjust them for your vehicle. They are 100% legal to have and they fit great.
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
76Blue_Beast

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Forgot about the truck stops. I use to drive and you are right. They have a huge selection and good prices. And yes you'd think there was a big market for them .