The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
Snake Eyes USA

What truck do I have? For the Chevy Gods, Historians and Know it alls

Hello Classic Chevy Truck Family. I'm new and somewhat happily forced into the classic truck scene.

Ive been racking my brain in trying to figure out what year and model truck I have.
Quick back story. Ive inherited the following truck as to keep it in the Family. Imported the truck back to the U.S. from Canada where it belongs. U.S.A.!
The previous owner claims it is a 1970 GMC C1500 and converted to a 71 Cheyenne. While doing some research I'm finding some things do not add up. Ive attempted Vin. I.D. but get lost at about the 5th or 6th digit.
Here are pics of the truck and vin. card information.
I would love any help I can get. The truck needs very little work and plan to have back on the road very soon.
Feel free to ask questions.

These are the following sites I found to help me out or confuse me more. Depends how you look at it. lol Quite useful for any 67-72 Chevy/GMC Truck owner.

https://www.edmunds.com/gmc/sierra-1500/history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_C/K

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1...pickup-trucks/

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/

http://www.pattson.com/maych/67_72_gmc.htm

http://www.pattson.com/maych/67_72_chevy.htm

Attached Images

Snake Eyes USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
harpo231

Re: What truck do I have? For the Chevy Gods, Historians and Know it alls

Looks like spid has been converted too
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
toolboxchev

Looks like a short box conversion. Or you have a small tool box option!

Lets see some pics of the tool box!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
notsolo

Look up Cheyenne YE9, late 1971-1972 only yr and a half for that to be a Cheyenne Super.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
jocko

The cab is a 1/2 ton Oshawa Canada built 72 Cheyenne Super that was originally a long bed (SPID appears legit to me for Oshawa, they did things a little differently) - very nice truck originally and a very nice truck now. Welcome! One note - compare the SPID and metal tag VINs just for some peace of mind. Also check the frame VIN to see if the partial matches your metal one. If the frame partial matches the metal tag/SPID, then the frame has been cut - look for fish plates on the inside of the frame rail or weld marks to verify. Based on seller's story, it could be a 72 cab swapped onto the original GMC truck. Do you have disk brakes?

Last edited by jocko; 07-12-2017 at 06:24 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
Snake Eyes USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
I was told it is original but will ask again. What clue lead you to say that?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
harpo231

Just because you said the truck was converted
Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Shinysideup

I think the SPID is remake to suit whats been changed and not original. Too clean,highly optioned, and the wheelbase is missing?
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #9
Snake Eyes USA

Thanks Jocko for leading me somewhere. Thank you for the truck compliment.

You mentioned to check, metal tag vin. Where can I find teh metal tag vin.? I only know vins are found in top corner of dashes for modern cars.
Where can I find the frame vin.? I will look for frame cuts and/or fish plates.
Previous owner said truck had all drums and that he put disc in the front and kept drum in the back.
Little things he says make it hard to believe only simply based on research Ive been doing. I dont think he lies but feel he may have things a little twisted with age. He did say that Canada did things differently with manufacturing and with registration of vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
The cab is a 1/2 ton Oshawa Canada built 72 Cheyenne Super that was originally a long bed (SPID appears legit to me for Oshawa, they did things a little differently) - very nice truck originally and a very nice truck now. Welcome! One note - compare the SPID and metal tag VINs just for some peace of mind. Also check the frame VIN to see if the partial matches your metal one. If the frame partial matches the metal tag/SPID, then the frame has been cut - look for fish plates on the inside of the frame rail or weld marks to verify. Based on seller's story, it could be a 72 cab swapped onto the original GMC truck. Do you have disk brakes?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
harpo231

dr side door jam
Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #11
bruceman1968

Snake eyes, Your SPID is original and correct. Correct for a 1972 Chevrolet longbed, from Oshawa assembly plant. But glove box doors can be changed from one truck to another so you need to check the cab VIN plate. It is located on the driver side door pillar and should be attached with rosehead rivets. Here is a pic of a VIN plate so you know what to look for. This plate is for a 1972 GMC from Oshawa. If you have a 1970 VIN plate it will look a little different. Find your VIN plate and let's check it. Then we'll go to the frame VIN. GMC's are hit and miss on frame VINs. Some GMC's just didn't get frame VINs.
Name:  21502631.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  33.9 KB

Last edited by bruceman1968; 07-12-2017 at 07:47 PM.
bruceman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
bruceman1968

Here are the locations for the frame VIN. It will be a partial VIN.
Name:  truck frame vinaarrow.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  35.5 KB
Old 07-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysideup View Post
I think the SPID is remake to suit whats been changed and not original. Too clean,highly optioned, and the wheelbase is missing?
Missing wb on an Oshawa truck is a pretty common occurrence. As is the spacing between initial VIN descriptors and the final serial #. Here's 2 Oshawa SPIDs. As Bruce stated, pretty certain the SPID is legit (TBD if it's for THIS actual truck, but appears to be an "original" SPID). Also note that Canada was rather fast and loose with their RPO assignments... i.e. the "Z84" Cheyenne Supers. (YE9 for almost all Supers, but that was another recurring Canadian anomaly - Z84 for a Super. Z84 is a Cheyenne (only) on US plant trucks. There are some US trucks that have both the Z84 and YE9 listed (and correctly associated with the Cheyenne and Cheyenne Super, respectively), but Canadian trucks are the only place where I've occasionally seen Z84 listed as a Cheyenne Super. Snakeeyes is clearly a Super (or at least the SPID is for or from a Super), as the YE9 is correctly paired with the Cheyenne Super description). Looking forward to hear how the VIN checks pan out.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 07-12-2017 at 10:31 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Which is unethical, assuming any prospective buyer is unaware. I suppose it's possible the door came off another truck. Does the VIN on the SPID & title match?

'The" truck came with a build sheet. I can only speak for a bench seat, where the build sheet is above the bottom of the seat. If by some chance you have it and it matches the SPID, then it's more likely you have a better truck than thought. Especially if those tags add up, as Jocko pointed out.

Careful of some of the SPID decoders, sometimes they're wrong. I don't have the link, but if you search this website for a bit, you'll come across one that's correct. Edit: This may be it. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=570059
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-12-2017 at 10:42 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #15
randy500
Account Suspended

Replacement left fender from a 69 or 70? Super emblem looks like it was placed in holes where the engine size would be on 69 and 70 years....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #16
72chevynut

If the PO said it started as a 70 GMC then converted to a 71 Cheyenne, why does the SPID VIN start with CC? Isn't that a 72 thing only?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Probably a '72 Ottawa Cheyenne Super cab on the '70 GMC frame with 5-lug stuff and other stuff from the '72 swapped on to create a BBC SWB '72 Cheyenne Super.

That's great you are bringing it down to California to enjoy. But, your statement that it belongs in the USA is inaccurate. Looks like it's been where it belongs all it's life, in Canada where it was built!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #18
Snake Eyes USA

Ok. Now I seem to be getting somewhere. Thanks fellas and Bruce for leading me into a right direction.

From my findings I believe the truck is a 70 C1500?
Now before I go further with my findings. I saw on the web same truck but called C1000. Is there any difference between 1000 and 1500? Both stated 1/2 ton trucks. One guy said 1000 may have meant short bed and 1500 meant long bed. Which I found hard to believe. Any clarification?

Back to the subject at hand. The two following pics. are of the vin. plate on door frame panel. The 2nd pic. is the number on the side of the frame which is, "393 801 -466 and 8 5 25 right below it. What do they mean?
I started to get frustrated because this number did not match anything. So I look at Bruces pic. on where to find partial on frame. Diagram said top rail of frame. How was I going to check this with the truck sitting on top? Well I got all border agent. I went under the truck and ran my fingers down the top rail to feel for a stamp. I found the stamp and took a mirror and flash light to read the numbers. The number read, "1 506o". If Im correct and you guys can verify. The 506 matches the vin. plate on door frame.
So do I have a 70 GMC C1500 converted to 71-72 Cheyenne 10 Super?

If anybody has questions or wants pics. of other parts of the truck let me know.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2017, 11:34 AM   #19
Snake Eyes USA

If because SPID said, "VK2-Tool and Stowage box". The truck does not have a storage compartment behind passenger door lower bottom of bed. Wish it did. When I saw a google image of one, I thought it was bad ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Looks like a short box conversion. Or you have a small tool box option!

Lets see some pics of the tool box!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
Snake Eyes USA

Special-K- You are right. Made in Canada, USA company. Hence my comment. Technically you are right. Kidnapped into he U.S.. lol We had to rescue it from just sitting for a decade or so. Step Dad bought the truck. Strip it down to the frame. Repainted with last of lead lacquer paint, chromed engine and everything underneath. Rebuilt with original parts for the most from the ground up. Barely got to enjoy the finished product. Retired and moved to Mexico. He sold all his toys in Canada. He was going to give the truck to a son that was a piece of **** kid to him and had no care for the type and value the truck is. My lady and I had to rescue it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Probably a '72 Ottawa Cheyenne Super cab on the '70 GMC frame with 5-lug stuff and other stuff from the '72 swapped on to create a BBC SWB '72 Cheyenne Super.

That's great you are bringing it down to California to enjoy. But, your statement that it belongs in the USA is inaccurate. Looks like it's been where it belongs all it's life, in Canada where it was built!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Eyes USA View Post
Previous owner said truck had all drums and that he put disc in the front and kept drum in the back.
Confirms the 1970 part of the story.

And the SPID and door plate VINs do not match - which vin is on the title???? If they do a VIN verification for a CA title, you better hope it is the door tag, they may look at the other places too

71 GMC Wideside truck cab built in canada...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=570059

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=160357

C=conventional cab
E=V-8 gasoline
1= 1/2 tons
34=fleet side pick-up
Dash is only on GMC Right?
sixth is a letter (unless canadian built then it will be a 1) = assembly plant
seventh number or letter is the year code Z=1970
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC

Last edited by demian5; 07-13-2017 at 12:09 PM.
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Confirms the 1970 part of the story.

And the SPID and door plate VINs do not match - which vin is on the title???? If they do a VIN verification for a CA title, you better hope it is the door tag, they may look at the other places too

71 GMC Wideside truck cab built in canada...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=570059

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=160357

C=conventional cab
E=V-8 gasoline
1= 1/2 tons
34=fleet side pick-up
Dash is only on GMC Right?
sixth is a letter (unless canadian built then it will be a 1) = assembly plant
seventh number or letter is the year code Z=1970
If that truck ever gets a VIN inspection by any state agency it will be a mess and probably confiscated until ownership is proven. They will only look at the vin plate and the frame numbers and it's obvious the vin plate has been removed which is big trouble (aluminum pop rivets). I would get as much paperwork from original owner and take it to your state agency and have he vin verified and get a replacement vin tag. If you do it now you still might be able to satisfy whatever the state wants to prove whatever it is, do it later when you try to sell it or if for some reason somebody questions the truck it might not be so easy
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #23
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

As Damian said, I wonder what VIN is on the title. My guess is it matches the door tag, and that glove box door and SPID came off another truck.

Your tag:
C = 2WD
E = V8
1 = 1/2 ton (never heard of a 1000 BTW)
34 = Wide side
1 = Oshawa
Z = 1970
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #24
bruceman1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake eyes usa View Post
ok. Now i seem to be getting somewhere. Thanks fellas and bruce for leading me into a right direction.

From my findings i believe the truck is a 70 c1500?
Now before i go further with my findings. I saw on the web same truck but called c1000. Is there any difference between 1000 and 1500? Both stated 1/2 ton trucks. One guy said 1000 may have meant short bed and 1500 meant long bed. Which i found hard to believe. Any clarification? your vin plate and frame are from a 1970 c1500 gmc

back to the subject at hand. The two following pics. Are of the vin. Plate on door frame panel. The 2nd pic. Is the number on the side of the frame which is, "393 801 -466 and 8 5 25 right below it. What do they mean? still not sure, part number, batch number, steel id, date code, ect. Whatever they are their not the frame vin.
i started to get frustrated because this number did not match anything. So i look at bruces pic. On where to find partial on frame. Diagram said top rail of frame. How was i going to check this with the truck sitting on top? Well i got all border agent. I went under the truck and ran my fingers down the top rail to feel for a stamp. I found the stamp and took a mirror and flash light to read the numbers. The number read, "1 506o". If im correct and you guys can verify. The 506 matches the vin. Plate on door frame. you can check the frame stamp on the front. You can see it just by opening the hood. I added another pic to better show that location. Good on you for going all CSI border agent with your flashlight and mirror to find the frame vin that is under the cab. You found enough of it for me to think that your frame belongs with your vin plate. See if you can find the 9 in the second location.
so do i have a 70 gmc c1500 converted to 71-72 cheyenne 10 super? Pretty much yes. Nice that the seller was open and honest about that.

If anybody has questions or wants pics. Of other parts of the truck let me know.
All of the VIN decodes above are correct.
Your VIN plate isn't attached with original rosehead rivits. That may or may not be a problem. Randy500 makes good points.
Your SPID is from a different truck, so nothing on it applies.
Lot's of trucks built at Oshawa were for American buyers. Special-K is just having some fun with you. He was no doubt laughing to himself when he made his post. He's fun like that.

Name:  zframevinlocation.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  68.1 KB
Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #25
demian5

When you go to part it out, i would like dips on the air cleaner
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote