The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Frugalmeyer

2WD Blazer Emergency Brake Photos

I am currently working on a 1972 Blazer 4WD to 2WD conversion and would like to see the routing and brackets for a 2WD Blazer. I purchased a 2WD emergency brake cable set from inline tube but not sure where it is routed when it exits the fire wall and where that cable end passes through and locks in. Also not sure how long the cable guides (hooks) are and where they attach to the body. If anyone has some pics it would be greatly appreciated.
Frugalmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
4oldcars

Re: 2WD Blazer Emergency Brake Photos

Complete parking brake set up was removed from my 71 Jimmy by PO. I have posted here with no results. I have never found a better picture than the one in LMC catalog. I now have mine complete except the main cable. I have bought and have several cables and none are the right length. I know I could make one and likely will one day. Good luck.

Driving:
1971 Jimmy w/68 Chev front clip, 1953 Bel Air 2 dr hdtp, 1996 Roadmaster wagon, 2000 Eldorado

The ones I let go:
1931 2 dr sedan, 1935 pick up, 1938 2 dr sedan, 1962 SS 454, 1963 409 wagon, 1970 short bed, 1972 short bed, 1972 sub, 1976 short bed, 1986 long bed, 03 short bed
4oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
lks dcvn

I can take pictures when I get home tonight of the ebrake set up on a 72 2wd blazer.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
notsolo

I made the E-Brake setup for mine, original rear drum cables run up trailing arms from my conversion . 2 metal pulleys from garage door mounted under frame with a cable connecting them. OEM 4x4 foot brake cable from cab connected to it, Bracket for holding end of cable made from piece of frame..... I would also like to see the OEM factory setup.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
RustyBucket

PM sent
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
lks dcvn

here are a few - looks like the same setup on a SWB truck.
Attached Images

lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:35 PM   #7
Frugalmeyer

One thing I do not have is the pass through and connector on the frame. My next e-brake task will be to locate a wrecked frame, cut out the pass through and hopefully bolt it to my frame at the 4WD front leaf spring rear hanger mounting bracket hole. Will start making some measurements over the next few days to see if it looks possible.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Frugalmeyer

notsolo
You designed and engineered an emergency brake system from scratch. Pretty impressive.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #9
Frugalmeyer

lks dcvn
The 2WD Blazer does look like the 2WD Truck emergency brake system, only one or two cables are different lengths.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #10
notsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalmeyer View Post
notsolo
You designed and engineered an emergency brake system from scratch. Pretty impressive.
Bruce ( Just A Pickup ) did the rollers instead of the cable dragging through a loop. There are some very talented people here I usually find something I like and make it work for me. Here are a couple 2wd setups, Not mine. As said before cable length is important.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #11
elkniks

Here is how I did mine. This is on a 72 frame with a 700R4 transmission and CPP crossmembers.

The first photo is the original 4WD front cable, notice how far forward I had to pull it. In the second picture you can see the 4WD cable coming through the old leaf spring mount hole. I used the original 4WD frame bracket and moved it forward to two holes that were existing in the frame. I bought a Blazer mid cable and used the original 4WD hooks(one long and two short) to hold the middle cable. All of the holes were existing factory looking holes. The rest is all connected factory style.

The only issues I have had so far are the cable just slightly touching the trans x member, so I cut two 1 1/2"ID plastic pipe and cut a large notch out of them lenght wise and snapped them over the x member. The other issue is that when I apply the e brake the middle cable just touches the trans. pan.

I might have gotten super lucky on this one but here are some pictures.
Attached Images

elkniks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
notsolo

elkniks, Do you know the length of your drive shaft? and What did you use for rear shock mounts? Please post some photo's of the top side of you blazer, looks great from down under. Frugalmeyer, Sorry for the pull off topic, I am also jealous of your clean garage. Your Blazer is looking great, BTW.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #13
elkniks

Frugalmeyer asked for some pictures on the conversion thread so here are a couple I took out at Fort Ord today. I was looking for something cool as a back drop(like a big cannon or a tank) but everything is gone, just a bunch of old buildings. notsolo, the drive shaft is 45 3/4" ujoint center to center(Inland Empire Driveline) and the rear shock mounts are No Limit but I had to modify them because I could not figure out how to mount them without hitting the panhard mount.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #14
Frugalmeyer

elkniks
I really like the way you mounted the cable through the rear leaf spring hole and I already started to mount mine the same way after looking at the pictures you posted. I purchased a 2WD Blazer Emergency Brake Cable set from inline tube and will try to do the same thing as you using the components provided in the kit.

Side note: The bottom side of your truck looks looks really clean and everything looks professionally done. I would have to agree with (notsolo).
Old 07-03-2016, 12:43 AM   #15
elkniks

Thumbs up Re: 2WD Blazer Emergency Brake Photos

Hopefully the Blazer cable will sit back further on the inner fender well(like stock)and allow you to use the original 4WD frame bracket like I did. IIRC the bracket lined up with two existing holes and I drilled them out to 7/16" to fit nice and tight in the bracket that was riveted originally.

Thanks for compliments, but if it were not for this website it would have been much more difficult and taken much longer than it did. I seriously appreciate all of the people that have documented their builds for others to search and review. It helps us all become better builders. I wish that I had documented my build to share but I will continue to chime in whenever I think I can help.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #16
notsolo

Thanks for the drive shaft length, same problem with the shock hitting the panhard mount. I am going to have to try again.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #17
Frugalmeyer

elkniks

What are the black skid pads made of and how did you attach them to the cross member?

Looks like the 2WD E-Brake is going to work despite me having a 4WD frame. Not finished, but connected everything and so far looks like it might work. Will post some photos by end of weekend.

Thanks
Michael