The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
uk71

After market raditior supports

Needing a rust free raditior support for a 71 are the after market any good or do I need to keep hunting for a good original? I know there are guys who have put on both. And when you call a parts dealer you ask how do they fit and they say good.but then you read things on these forums people say they don't! Just don't know what would be best.
uk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: After market raditior supports

Have you tried the site's search bar?

These thread came up last week.....try these things.

1). Post a WTB thread on the parts forum.
2). Try GMC Pauls.
3). Try Classic Heartbeat.
4). There is a guy in Knoxville that carries OEM and used parts, supposed to be a top shelf kind of guy. (Bartender reference, means "best alcohol in the house."
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts...186248295.html
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
nightrider388

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Have you tried the site's search bar?

These thread came up last week.....try these things.

1). Post a WTB thread on the parts forum.
2). Try GMC Pauls.
3). Try Classic Heartbeat.
4). There is a guy in Knoxville that carries OEM and used parts, supposed to be a top shelf kind of guy. (Bartender reference, means "best alcohol in the house."
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts...186248295.html
He might sell some things oem. When I called him, and asked about fenders, he really pushed his "perfect fitting" counterparts fenders and other parts.
nightrider388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider388 View Post
He might sell some things oem. When I called him, and asked about fenders, he really pushed his "perfect fitting" counterparts fenders and other parts.
When I called him I wouldn't say he "really pushed" the reproduction parts but did speak well of those. He may have advocated those more to you than he did to me, maybe not, it's too subjective of a thing to be sure of. As a rule, I stay away from reproduction parts as it must hurt the value of a finished product, it would in my mind anyway.

I suspect he has a vendor's contract on reproduction parts and must move a certain amount of those each month.

Here is another guy you can try, Eric's Auto in Montana. He is a great guy, doesn't "push" anything, and will crate body parts for you (I highly recommend crates for body panels). 406 325 2427 Tell him "Greg from WV sent you."

Unless you are in a hurry, you should be able to get this core support from a forum vendor or from a parted out truck.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
nightrider388

Quote:

Just to clarify, I don't mean anything negative about him offering aftermarket fenders. Seemed like a really nice guy and was genuine. For me, I have no problems with aftermarket parts. It's like a builder I know told me, that it's the only parts being made for our trucks. However, I wouldn't make that long of a drive for some aftermarket parts that ship everywhere. Just be very careful about NOS parts. There are some professional counterfeiters out there making these new parts look like NOS.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Just to clarify, I don't mean anything negative about him offering aftermarket fenders. Seemed like a really nice guy and was genuine. For me, I have no problems with aftermarket parts. It's like a builder I know told me, that it's the only parts being made for our trucks. However, I wouldn't make that long of a drive for some aftermarket parts that ship everywhere. Just be very careful about NOS parts. There are some professional counterfeiters out there making these new parts look like NOS.
I didn't think you were bashing the guy, it's OK.

A fear of mine has been "counterfeit NOS" parts. I plan to buy some parts from him soon but those are OEM and would show at least some surface rust. People on this site have bragged on him though, apparently he's legit.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #7
nightrider388

Thumbs up Re: After market raditior supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk71 View Post
Needing a rust free raditior support for a 71 are the after market any good or do I need to keep hunting for a good original? I know there are guys who have put on both. And when you call a parts dealer you ask how do they fit and they say good.but then you read things on these forums people say they don't! Just don't know what would be best.
If I was as close as you to Southern Kentucky Classics, I would make the short drive and try one of their radiator supports. From everything I have been told, aftermarket supports are fine with factory fenders.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Z10

I used a Goodmark core support on my 72 GMC step and it was virtually perfect and I believe less than $200 delivered. If I recall, the Chevy support is less money.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
chiefcfd

I used one from Southern Ky Classics. Don't remember what brand it was. Used with one original fender and a repop on the right. Minimal adjustments needed to fit.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote