The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2002, 12:19 PM   #1
brad69C-10

Flowmasters.H-pipe and a big cam

Will the use of an H pipe change how the idle sounds? I love the way a big cam sounds, but I have always wondered if an h pipe kind of cancelled out the sound of each pipe having its own sound............this make any sense? LOL Thanks
Old 08-25-2002, 01:18 PM   #2
dion
72 Cheyenne

I don't have the H-pipe on mine, duals straight back into the flowmasters but I know a few guys who do. What they tell me is that it evens out the sound and I've heard that it does give you a little less rumble, that's just what I've heard.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 02:22 PM   #3
Zurbo

The H pipe makes the exhaust sound deeper. But the best thing it does is gets rid of the annoying slapping sounds at higher rpms when you are "giving it some stick"

I was told it has to do with the way two cylinders are spaced closer together in the firing sequence that make the popping/slapping sound. Although I am not sure of the accuracy of that info a quick check of this would figure out to be a cylinder firing every 90 degrees of crankshaft revolution. (720 degrees of revolution per power stroke / 8)

My friend has a 55 Chevy truck with a nicely built 350 in it with 2.5" duals and flowmaster 40's in it which sounds great except at high rpms where it starts to sound like someone is slapping two boards together very rapidly. He has no balance pipe.

I had him drive mine down the street with the new headers, dual 2.5" with balance pipe and flowmaster 40's as I stood and listened just like I done before listening to his. Mine sounds MUCH better (no popping/slapping). He didn't belive me untill he was the one listening as I drove the two trucks by.

He's going back to the exhaust shop to put in a balance pipe.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:24 PM   #4
mikep
Used to have a truck

On the other side I have actually had a balance pipe removed specifically because of the the sound difference. I actually like the popping under full throttle especially going up hill. I like the sound of glasspacks though so what is my opinion worth in the greater scheme of things? Ive got a big bonus check in hand right now and am going to get full exhaust put on this week and money is no object but I am half considering glasspacks. I'm sure sanity will win out though.