The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

05 Chevy- Speedo is jumpy

I have an 05 Chevy Silverado Ex-cab with a 5.3 auto and 3.73 (for reference). My service manager uses it as his daily driver so I haven't actually witnessed this happen.

He says that the speedo will jump up to 110+ mph and stay there a while then gradually settle back to normal. This has happened 2-3 times recently.

Anyone have this happen? I assume it's a speedo bad sensor, but I hate to change parts without a clue.

Anyone?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
turbochevy

Re: 05 Chevy- Speedo is jumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I have an 05 Chevy Silverado Ex-cab with a 5.3 auto and 3.73 (for reference). My service manager uses it as his daily driver so I haven't actually witnessed this happen.

He says that the speedo will jump up to 110+ mph and stay there a while then gradually settle back to normal. This has happened 2-3 times recently.

Anyone have this happen? I assume it's a speedo bad sensor, but I hate to change parts without a clue.

Anyone?

How many miles on the truck? 05 SHOULD still be under warranty, there might even be a TSB on it.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochevy View Post
How many miles on the truck? 05 SHOULD still be under warranty, there might even be a TSB on it.
It has 46k on it. We put miles on quick...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
turbochevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
It has 46k on it. We put miles on quick...

Holy ****! well, you should still check and see if there is a TSB on it. This may be something that is software based.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
>X<
registered IWATA user

my fuel guage jumps all day, especially on empty and full.

Take off that Von Dutch hat before i stab you with a 000 Mack.
>X< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
The Hard Way

The last time I had a speedometer up to 110 it didn't jump there, it took quite a while on the accelerator to get there. I've heard that if you wrap a rubber band around the housing of a gauge it will keep it from jumping, but that's for mechanical gauges. I wish I could help.
The Hard Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
PHAT 53

Yes there is a problem with the gauge clusters on GM cars and trucks from about 1995 and up. As far as I could tell there is no recall. I would add that the problem is not only with GM but most other cars that have electronic dashes. The fix is to have your gauge cluster rebuilt. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado. My gas gauge just went out. Every time I turned on the key the gauge would go about a ¼ of an inch farther clockwise. My shop checked it out with their plug in computer to check codes and do diagnostic check on the truck. During the check the plug in computer cycles the gauges, my gas gauge would not cycle. But the computer said that my gas tank was 45% full of fuel. That told us that the gas gauge was bad. According to the blogs on the Internet the two most common gauges to fail are the speedometer and the gas gauge.

Now we come to the bad news. Through the Chevy dealer here in Tucson it’s about $550.00 to send the gauge cluster off a get it rebuilt. Plus about $100.00 to pull it out and reinstall it. The price was the same at the repair shop that I use. Again according to the blogs on the Internet that’s the common price everywhere.

Now for the not great news, but almost good news. As I searched the Internet for information after about 8 hours I found Tom Jeroski at Mr. Whizard Technical Services (yes I know he has an h in wizard it must be the way they spell it in Canada) www.mrwhizard.com/ Toll Free 1 888 803 8523. Tom does flat rate repairs for most electronic gauge clusters. I sent my gauge cluster Mr. Whizard with his supplied prepaid UPS label, which is covered in this flat rate price. Yes that’s right shipping is covered both ways for UPS ground. The only small problem is that it takes two weeks for the round trip. But again the good news is that the truck will run and drive with out the gauge cluster.

On the Mr. Whizard website you will find instructions on how to remove your gauge cluster. I was able to unsnap the dash trim (one piece) and pull my gauge cluster out (the cluster is held in with four 7 mm screws) and put back the dash part in under15 minutes. It was a snap to say the least. lol

The flat rate for my 2003 Chevy Silverado truck was $169.00 US. Tom lives in Canada so you will see an exchange rate thing on your credit card but it still comes down to $169.00 US. By the way Tom did both my gas gauge motor and my speedometer motor for the one flat rate charge. Tom said he likes to replaces the GM speedometer motor because they fail so often.

I put the gauge cluster in today and it works great. Saved $381.00 to 481.00 depending on whether you do the work yourself or not. Now I can go get that GPS unit I wanted.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
joerocks

same as what phat 53 wrote my 04 did the exact same thing. luckily it was around 33,000 and still under warranty, make sure they warranty there work because GM uses rebuilt clusters. and mine needed about 5 tries to get it right. as soon as they would fix it and you shut the truck off and started it again the odometer would just read error.
1970 C20 396/400
joerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #9
BP68

I am a service tech at a Gm Dealer, and I have seen this problem a lot.
I cannot tell you the exact cause, but it is a fault in the cluster itself.

We do all our radio and cluster repairs thru exchange.

If you can find a place to "rebuild" like the guy in Canada, then that is prob gonna be your best bet.

Now would be a great time to upgrade to a Escalade cluster.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Primed67

same thing happened on my 04 but it finally stuck on 110. They replaced the cluster and reprogrammed it and haven't had a problem since.
2014 1/2 ton Crew Cab Chevrolet 4x4
Primed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

When it sticks, you can work it down a few MPH at a time by starting the truck and turning it off.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote