The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
QuakerState

Bed replacement fit issue

I am in the process of assembling my 1972 Jimmy replacement bed sides and bed floor. After placing the floor I am noticing the body mount located in front of the gas tank has a gap of 1/4" on each side. I have not tightened up the floor mounts so the gap may improve with tightening. I measured the frame and the frame is straight, I am going to measure the individual mounts tonight. I am going to permanently mount the bedside so I thought I would ask the group if I should consider anything else to correct for the gap in the mount?
Attached Images

QuakerState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Bed replacement fit issue

That's normal, and that's what shims are for. The mounts near the front of the box and the cowl are the critical ones, and depending how thick of a shim pack you use will determine your door to A-pillar gap as well as the door to box side gap. It will take a few tries to get it right. For now, put shims in there to take up the gap and tighten it down. Do not just drive a bolt in without those shims or it may bite you later on during final fitment.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
QuakerState

Thank you hemi43. I am cautiously entering unfamiliar territory in this build so appreciate the response. Added shims to the mount last night and will fit the bedsides this weekend and reattach the single wall top hardware.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
cleszkie

100% agree with hemi43. I don't think I have a single body mount that doesn't have some amount of shims installed. It would be ultra-rare if you were able to drop the body on the mounts without shims and have everything line up.

Use thin horseshoe shaped shims to get everything mocked up (large flat washers with a slot cut into them). They can be installed and removed quickly without removing the mount bolts. When you have established the final shim thickness required at each of the mounts, remove the stack of horseshoe shims at each location and replace with permanent shims of the correct thickness, without the slot cut. This will require pulling the mount bolts to install, but the permanent shims will not be able to work themselves out.

Last edited by cleszkie; 09-08-2017 at 02:19 PM.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
... Use thin horseshoe shaped shims to get everything mocked up (large flat washers with a slot cut into them). They can be installed and removed quickly without removing the mount bolts. When you have established the final shim thickness required at each of the mounts, remove the stack of horseshoe shims at each location and replace with permanent shims of the correct thickness, without the slot cut. This will require pulling the mount bolts to install, but the permanent shims will not be able to work themselves out.
Good Grief, what a simple and great idea. One of those things that just makes me wanna slap my forehead ... duh! I definitely would have been trying to do something like this the hard way.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
69-72

Also remember when aligning your doors you may need to add or take away shims to the mounts to get the right gaps

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
QuakerState

I appreciate everyone sharing your great advice, I am heading to a specialty hardware place today to find washers of various sizes. Once the bed is done I can hang the sides then move onto the cab.