The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
1970 C10 MJW

Confused. gauges question

I am doing a 5.3 swap and I am wondering what you guys are doing for gauges, I would like to have a tach... and i don't have a tach in my cluster right now. I dont want to spend the money on a dakota digital, or anything like that, so what can i do? i also dont like the look of the newer cluster in place of the stock one like a few people have done... so basically can how can I use the original gauges and just mod them some? I have also thought about getting a new cluster bezel and then putting autometer gauges in the holes... any ideas/help would be appreciated
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
ls1nova71

Re: Confused. gauges question

There are alot of ways to do gauges, but your Autometer idea might be the easiest, but not sure if the cheapest. To run the original speedometer you would need a Cable-X, or have your transmission tailhousing modified for a cable, they will run about $300-$400 respectivley. The oil pressure can be drilled and tapped into the oil bypass above the filter, or my preference, break off the top of the 5.3 oil pressure sender and drill and tap it. The temp sender is the hardest of them all, but I usually drill and tap the right head for the original '72 sender to go into. I have pics of how to do it in my build thread in my sig (the second one, green truck).

As for a tach, it's as easy as hooking the wire for the tach coming out of the PCM, but you will have to change the tach resolution in the tune from 3 to 6 (or is it 6 to 3? I can never remember, but it would be opposite of what the factory is set to which is how it would be now) Then depending on what year your PCM is, you may need a 'pull up resistor' to amplify the tach signal coming out of the PCM to the tach.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
1970 C10 MJW

ok cool thank you so much, i was looking at your speedo you made, how did you eliminate the printed circuit? cuz i want to ad a factory tach but dont want to have to buy the expensive kit to get the new circuit board
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 C10 MJW View Post
ok cool thank you so much, i was looking at your speedo you made, how did you eliminate the printed circuit? cuz i want to ad a factory tach but dont want to have to buy the expensive kit to get the new circuit board
It's all hard wired, just like you would wire aftermarket gauges. But if you have stock gauges, do yourself a favor and get the printed circuit, it's way easier with it.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote