The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #26
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Re: Tire Cutting, making Wide whites

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
You've never had a big block muscle car with worn out rear springs and white letter or white wall tires huh?

Here's some other ideas for cutting BTW.
Lol... The only time I've really given tires with lines in them a close look is while I'm at my dad's work (Cadi Dealership) and have noticed that on the Vogue tires, it's cut into the side wall for the color. I always figured they cut the sidewall to easily lay down paint while the tire is being produced. Never gave it much thought though.

Learn something new every day eh?
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

How narrow of a whitewall can this guy do?I need a set of 275/60s with narrow whitewalls.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
Boog
laying low

Something like this one Tim? I don't recall who this one belongs to but they are Hankook tires.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
stepn67

Houp, those look great! Whats the wheel/tire specs. Looks to me like 15" X 8" with 235/75 tire, but whats the backspace on the wheel. Oh BTW any shots of the truck with the new meats.
Thanks

Last edited by stepn67; 03-23-2009 at 11:35 AM.
stepn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #30
65panelrat

These are buffed tires in Alb. New Mexico $15.00 each.
Attached Images

Bowties For Life!🇺🇸

Last edited by 65panelrat; 03-23-2009 at 12:47 PM.
65panelrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #31
lclippard

Quote:
Welcome to the site! Coker, Diamond Back and couple others do the WWW's, redlines, etc, but they are a little pricey. Cutting them is a po man's way of doing them.

Can't wait to see your thread. What are you working on?
Trust me....I understand going the po man's route.

I recently bought a 1969 C10 LWB, and a 2001 GMC Yukon XL. My goal is to become Dr. Frankenstein. I'm planning on putting the 69 body on the 01 chassis. 5.3L 2WD auto, 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS, TCS, etc. I guess I should quit hi-jacking this thread and go start my own. Thanks for the welcome!
lclippard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #32
cris well

Quote:
You've never had a big block muscle car with worn out rear springs and white letter or white wall tires huh?

Here's some other ideas for cutting BTW.
or bias-ply white-letter L60-15's and 10" wide cragars on the back of a '70 GTO with leaky air shocks! ha ha
cris well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #33
wild4wheels

Way cool, thanks so much for posting. Man I wish I could find one of those machines!

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #34
colin_havens

Thats so awesome! All I have ever seen is some hacked up jobs, and his looks perfect! That really is a lost art.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #35
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

The first tire-balancing machine I ever saw was an "on-the-car" spinner machine, in about 1960 - 62 or so, at an old-style everybody-comes-a-runnin' when the drive bell rings style Mobil gas station. Looked an awful lot like that ole boy's spinner machine.

Wonder if there's still any of those old spinner machines around. Probably somewhere.

I'd think you could also use one of the new tire balancers, maybe with a rheostat or something in the circuit to slow it down just a bit.

Looks like a new spin-balancer machine in the first one of the "other style" photos above.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #36
Striped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
I didn't share this when I had them done so.... a little late but it made it.

Long story short, I bought some "port-o-walls" and they flung off in less than 1 mile. A friend of mine at Discount told me there used to be a guy that came around and "cut" your tires to make white walls, so he gave me his number and said, he didn't know if he was still alive...... because he was "up there" when he came to the discount shops.

So I called and sure enough (licky for me) he is still alive and kickin', but due to his age, 75, and two replace knee's and one hip, he can't get around so I need to come to his house.

So I get there, we chat a little, then he pulls out magazine after magazine with him featured in articles "cutting" tires... from the original Bat mobile, one of Al Capone's original cars (being restored) and countless other vehicles.

He not only "cuts" tires, he can also paint a red, white or gold thin stripe around the tire, he use's a really cool/innovative machine.

I've heard of this being done, on here actually, I think SOM posted a youtube video of a guy doing it in the driveway with a hand grinder....

The way this machine works, he jacks the car/truck up and sets it on a motorized roller. When he starts grinding, he turns the motor on to rotate the tire, the he turns another motor on that runs a grinding wheel. The grinding wheel has a little strut on it to help keep it steady. It took about an hour and a half for him to do all four tires....

So, here are the photos, post up and let me know what you think.... Oh, he only charges $30 a tire!

The machine

The roller

Cutting....

More Cutting

What he started with

How it ended up..
I have this machine
Striped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 AM   #37
Striped up

I have my own business doing white walling
Old 01-06-2016, 01:00 AM   #38
Striped up

www.stripedupllc.com
Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #39
Striped up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
I didn't share this when I had them done so.... a little late but it made it.

Long story short, I bought some "port-o-walls" and they flung off in less than 1 mile. A friend of mine at Discount told me there used to be a guy that came around and "cut" your tires to make white walls, so he gave me his number and said, he didn't know if he was still alive...... because he was "up there" when he came to the discount shops.

So I called and sure enough (licky for me) he is still alive and kickin', but due to his age, 75, and two replace knee's and one hip, he can't get around so I need to come to his house.

So I get there, we chat a little, then he pulls out magazine after magazine with him featured in articles "cutting" tires... from the original Bat mobile, one of Al Capone's original cars (being restored) and countless other vehicles.

He not only "cuts" tires, he can also paint a red, white or gold thin stripe around the tire, he use's a really cool/innovative machine.

I've heard of this being done, on here actually, I think SOM posted a youtube video of a guy doing it in the driveway with a hand grinder....

The way this machine works, he jacks the car/truck up and sets it on a motorized roller. When he starts grinding, he turns the motor on to rotate the tire, the he turns another motor on that runs a grinding wheel. The grinding wheel has a little strut on it to help keep it steady. It took about an hour and a half for him to do all four tires....

So, here are the photos, post up and let me know what you think.... Oh, he only charges $30 a tire!

The machine

The roller

Cutting....

More Cutting

What he started with

How it ended up..
stripedupllc.com
Come and meet us this weekend. We'll have a space showcasing some of the work we do. If you haven't seen our web page, please visit and leave your contact if you would like someone to call you to schedule your appointment for your tire enhancements.

When: Saturday,
January 9, 2016

Where: Arizona State Fairgrounds
1826 W. McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85007

Hours: 7am to 4pm Rain or Shine