The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
big_moss

bagging a 59 apache

Hey guys what's going on my girlfriend and I recently picked up a 59 apache 32 for 500 bucks pretty solid truck still had motor and trans. We are wanting to do full air ride and update it to a ls power train for the reliability of it since it's her truck. What rought are you guys taking into laying the task forces out just looking for ideas on which way we should go. Thanks in advance for any input
Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: bagging a 59 apache

I would suggest looking at a complete frame/suspension package. if you are doing an engine upgrade, want air ride, want it to drive, handle and stop like a modern vehicle AND your girlfriend is gonna be driving (most girlfriends want p/steering and brakes at least), then do a feasability study with cost analysis BEFORE you start anything. get a plan going with sketches of what you want it to look lik etc. these things have a habit of costing waaaay more than first anticipated. figure out if you will take the body off (usually find rotten parts and this is where it starts to go sideways) and rework the stock frame or if you will try to do a bunch of stuff with the body on (sooner or later it comes off for room to work). will you box the frame, fab up new crossmembers and driveshaft hoop, fab up a new rear section with a huge c notch, rework the box floor to accomodate the notch, rework the box to accomodate the notch, install a new independent front suspension or front clip from another vehicle, move axle centreline ahead to ensure the wheels are centred in the openings up front, rework the inner fenders to accomodate the front suspension, rework the front frame to match up the front bumper, rework the steering column to match the front end and clear the new engine, upgrade the rear diff to something with highway gearing and possibly disc brakes, install a power brake booster and redo brake lines, etc etc etc.
post a few pics of the unit and an idea of what you have planned. there has to be somebody on here who has input on what to watch out for. is the body awesome or will there be a bodywork segment as well? are you going for a shiny truck or a patina'd "in the weeds-as found" look?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
_Ogre

what is your level of fabrication and welding skill?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
big_moss

Dsraven-we are going for the painTed and clean look. I'm also building a 51 3100 5 window for myself that I'm leaving rusty and patina except the interior and under hood.
Ogre-my fab knowledge is pretry good weve built a couple of trucks most of them having air ride so the fab isn't gonna be an issue
Old 04-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
dsraven

remember to post some before, during and after pics for those of us that are too busy to work on our own stuff.
sounds like you have a plan.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote