The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2024, 12:10 PM   #1
nvrdone

wiper problem

I just installed an electric wiper motor in my '49. There is no slop in the linkage or in the mount.
When I install the wiper arms, if I set them so they are about 1" above the bottom edge when off, they only go straight up when turned on.
If I adjust the motor position so the wipers go over closer to the outside, they wont park close to the bottom of the glass.
Any ideas how to increase the area that the wipers cover?
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:18 PM   #2
leegreen

Re: wiper problem

I think from another thread you used raingear? Did you call them? One of the first notes in their instructions is to call before you modify things.

I built my own motor assembly very similar to raingear but with stock wiper mounts and linkage. Getting the relative lengths of the crank arm length on the motor and on the reciprocating bellcrank right is not trivial. There is very little difference between getting full wipe and over centering the arms so the system jams.
So I'd call them first.

If they are no help I'd look at this arm to investigate slotting the mounting hole to allow effective length of arm to be made shorter.
Watch it run first to see how close to 180 it moves, too close will jam
Slot it, adjust it until dialed in then spot weld the washer in place to lock the adjustment

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  25.5 KB

Assume you will take that motor out several times to get it right, so plan to make it easy on yourself, take out speaker grill, instruments vent arm, seats, whatever gets in the way
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 04:54 PM   #3
leegreen

I posted this before but you can see how I slotted my arms in order to fine tune things in this video clip.

( after you click the link you get a short thumbnail video, click it again to view the full thing including under dash views. )

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wZgwPui6drxohaoNA

video quality is commensurate with how much I am charging to see it
Old 02-08-2024, 05:07 PM   #4
nvrdone

I thought it was a rain gear kit because that was the box it came in. Turns out I was wrong.
I got it in 2020 from Classic Parts so I called them.
There is no adjustment to increase the swipe of the wipers. It was made in Tiawan and there comment was you get what you get and no refund because it was purchased too long ago. My loss but I will not deal with them again.
Fortunatly I live in an area where we dont get much rain in the summer so I will keep the wiper arms in the glove box and pop them on if i need them.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:03 PM   #5
dsraven

to get more or less wiper arm movement you will need to make the wiper arm lever, under the dash, loinger or shorter. longer gives less arm movement for the same amount of pushrod travel from the motor. shorter yields the opposite. otherwise, to keep things the same except for the motor end of things, make the lever on the motor shaft longer or shorter
also ensure the pivot bushings, all the rod ends etc etc are physically in good shape without a bnch of slop that wastes the movement applied.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:06 PM   #6
dsraven

if you need to know exactly how much pushrod travel you need for a full swipe, put the wiper arm at the bottom of the desired swipe and mark the location of the back side of the wiper arm pivot, under the dash. use a piece of firmly attached cardboard or something held stationary. then move the wiper through the desired arc to the other end of it'd swipe cycle you want it to do. again, mark the spot. now measure how much the pushrod needed to travel in order to acuieve that much wiper arm travel. then do the math and figure out how much you need to change things to get that to work.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:50 PM   #7
nvrdone

Well, I made some progress. Had the motor out again and noticed what looked like a set screw with a jam nut on top of the motor. Loosened the jam nut and turned the screw in 1/2 turn. The travel was shorter. Turned the screw out 1/2 turn and then another 1/2 turn
and the swipe was longer. Tomorrow I may take the motor out again and add 1/4 turn and see what happens
Old 02-08-2024, 09:44 PM   #8
leegreen

does that motor shaft turn a full circle or reciprocate?

surprising the vendor could not have told you about that adjustment
Old 02-09-2024, 12:09 AM   #9
nvrdone

reciprocates. the vender didnt know his ...
Old 02-09-2024, 01:15 PM   #10
leegreen

If you have it out again can you post some pictures of the motor?

I'd like to figure out what it is off. That adjustable swing would be a game changer