The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #1
48panel

Question 48 Panel Gas Tank

I'd really like to keep my side mounted gas tank in my 48. Yet I'm leaning more towards a fuel cell for added safety. Has anyone made this mod and retained the side fill?
48panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 10:10 PM   #2
Hcb3200

Re: 48 Panel Gas Tank

If you are racing it then fuel cell is way to go. And yes there are folks who have put a foam fuel cell in their daily. But the foam has to be regularly inspected. It will degrade and it’s why race guys drain their tanks and they are usually fitted for tank removal for easy inspection. But I doubt a lot of daily guys inspect and will wonder why in time their lines and fuel filter is clogged.
Some states don’t allow them on roads and most don’t pass smog inspections if you have to deal with that. Model foam lasts a whole lot longer that older stuff but you need to find a reputable vendor on that. Case of you never know what type the cheap tank guys are using. Will last a long time years in some cases with normal gas but still needs some inspections.
It’s also the reason most all manufacturers don’t put them in as standard.
Boats and race cars have them for a reason. The slosh factor of turns in racing makes a big difference.

You will more of an issue finding a stock tank. But some of the other models and universal tanks will fit with side mount.

I saw a whole writup about this by professionals I’ll try and find it again.

Last edited by Hcb3200; 02-17-2024 at 10:15 PM.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:40 AM   #3
nvrdone

I'm not sure I see a need for a foam filled gas tank especially with the tank mounted inside the frame. I have a friend who has 2 tanks mounted inside the frame with a cross over fill pipe and hasn't had any problems.
If the Fed's thought it was a safety thing, you can bet that new cars would have foam filled tanks.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:12 PM   #4
mr48chev

Add me to those who don't see the need or expense.

Side note: 47/48 trucks and the 47/54 burbs gas tanks are a real slow fill tank at the pump. They don't get along with high speed pumps at the gas station well. It's an exercise in having patience when you fill the tank.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 02:13 PM   #5
dsraven

if you are working with old tanks you probably wanna ensure they don't have any leak points, which can mean cleaning them well inside first to loosen up any old rusty spots that may slowly seap fuel through. if you do this and don't find a leak, so you will re-use the old tank, then you could have a better filler bung installed so it will fill better/faster. also maybe upgrade the filler neck on the gas cap end and the vent line.
I am also in the fuel cell overkill camp, unless you need it i would say don't go down that road.
if you are having a new tank built put some baffles in to help with fuel sloshing, if that is your concern. also install a drain bung in the low end/part so you can easily drain the tank if you want to. a flange for a modern in tank pump isn't a bad idea as well, even if you don't plan on using one right now. things change over time. a simple flat spot in an appropriate spot that is big enough can be drilled later is all you need
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote